Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2019

Posted By: oak
    Posted By: loremanBuild an observatory in the top of the tree, with a rope and pulley lift system.

But add some ginormous flying buttresses to minimize the swaying.
    THERE MUST BE AND THERE WILL BE CLOCKWORK GEARS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2019

I think the clockwork gears are all done in software now.
    Go all Riven on its arse
    THERE MUST BE AND THERE WILL BE CLOCKWORK GEARS!

I am good with that as long as they are not orange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2019

Yeah. We've had enough Orange recently, thanks very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2019

Nobody seems to be in charge of licences for this . I suppose nobody would need a hunting licence to go bag them either.
    It's all working out, because the Starlink profits finance SpaceX endeavours which will enable launch costs of around $20/Kg which enables big telescopes in space!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2019

Tell that to the $1.5B funders of the Large Synoptic Telescope!
    You are not usually so ready to defer scientific results into the Great Whenever...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2019

The largest BH discovered to date
    https://gizmodo.com/you-cannot-conceive-of-the-hugeness-of-this-black-hole-1840208546
    That's a radius of 790 AU
    I indeed cannot conceive of the hugeness of that black hole. So strongly can I not conceive of it that I doubt its very existence. My mind is too small to encompass such a beast, that must contain within it a veritable universe all pinched off from our own.
    The worst part is that I suspect they're having a better time than are we.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2019

How times change.
    It is scheduled to launch on a Soyuz rocket on December 17, from a launch pad at Europe’s Kourou spaceport in French Guiana.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2019

Nasa plots mission to find a SECOND Earth in distant star systems with giant folding space telescope.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/10572733/nasa-space-telescope-habex-second-earth/
    100 million exoplanets discovered by 2050?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP-5ij5xTNU
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2019 edited

You can't substitute quantity for quality. We know from mere statistics that just about every damn dim star we can see will probably have planets, including asteroid rockballs, icemoons, super Earths, mini Neptunes and even one or two real planets like old Sol's own Jupiter or Saturn. Effort would be better spent by increasing resolution rather than increasing catalog listings. Find a planet with about 10 m/s/s gravitational acceleration, a large moon and considerable liquid water, a scum of dry continents and some oxygen in the atmosphere. That is worth looking for.
    Of course, both quantity and quality would be even better.