Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016

Posted By: AngusSimple technologythat seems stupid until you see something likethis. The first time I saw one I recoiled automatically in horror.
    I like both of those ideas ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The one I encountered was in a restaurant at the Minneapolis airport. There were iPads on stands from which you could order what you wanted. The first reaction was to realise that these iPads were being held upright about a 50cm from the faces of people who would be sneezing, coughing and just generally breathing on them, and then wiping their dirty fingers across the result as they ordered their food. It was not an appetising thought.

I'll stick to paper menus, please, preferably one=sheet disposable ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Made out of toilet paper. Reused?
    Wiped down/disinfected after each customer. Pay via the same terminal. Robot brings the order. Grid for robot transport above tables.

I invented something like this in 1988 in Atlanta. Rather than have the waitress return to the kitchen counter after each order is taken, she enters it electronically direct to the kitchen and then moves on to the next customer. In a largish restaurant this would probably save her miles a day of walking. It also speeds things up for the customers. The waitress can get an electronic alarm from the kitchen when an order is ready.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Anyone remember the Beeb's "Look Around You" series and Clive Pound's "Big C's Automated Casserole Restaurant"?

I can't find a clip of it, but it was prescient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanWiped down/disinfected after each customer. Pay via the same terminal. Robot brings the order. Grid for robot transport above tables.

So you say. I don't want to have to wipe the previous guy's snot off, and I don't trust the restaurant to do it for me. It's a shitty (literally) idea.
    If they can wipe tables, they can wipe your nose, you poor boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Who would eat at a restaurant without tablecloths, goodness me? It's shitty idea, even if you thought of it first.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016 edited

Found the "Look Around You" clip:

http://vidzi.tv/zsqdq18vmptx.html

Relevant section at 19:00
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixFound the "Look Around You" clip:

http://vidzi.tv/zsqdq18vmptx.html

Relevant section at 19:00

What have you sent us!! That thing is chock full of unwanted links and who knows what else.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2016 edited

Posted By: AngusWhat have you sent us!! That thing is chock full of unwanted links and who knows what else.

Hmmm. Must be my ad blocker doesn't allow me to see this stuff. When I click on the link, I get only the video.

This is what I see
    •  
      CommentAuthormagic moment
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016 edited

Posted By: AsterixAnyone remember the Beeb's "Look Around You" series and Clive Pound's "Big C's Automated Casserole Restaurant"?

I can't find a clip of it, but it was prescient.
    Download here. 241 Mbyte .avi file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorS_o_E
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016

An Ad-blocker is more useful than AV (imo).

I use uBlock Origin, as, it seems, does Asterix.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016

Yup, good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2016

SD

10 mindblowingly futuristic technologies that will appear by the 2030s.

http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/2013/08/10-mindblowingly-futuristic.html
    Did your mind get blown?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Not recently.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

"IOT personal assistants", 3d printers in every home, blah,blah, mind still (mostly) intact.

"the OpenWorm project", that's what really grabbed Trims attention. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Speak for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016