Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

Here are all the patents in the USPTO with inventor Goodenough and mentioning battery in the text. I am travelling, so I leave it to the rest of you to sort relevance.

PAT. NO. Title
    1 9,362,562 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    2 9,093,692 Full-Text Oxide-ion conductors and related composites and devices
    3 8,785,043 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    4 8,647,773 Full-Text Niobium oxide compositions and methods for using same
    5 8,282,691 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    6 8,067,117 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    7 7,998,617 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    8 7,972,728 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    9 7,964,308 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    10 7,960,058 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    11 7,955,733 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    12 6,939,066 Full-Text Hand-held, freestanding, double-sided electronic keyboard
    13 6,514,640 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    14 6,391,493 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    15 5,910,382 Full-Text Cathode materials for secondary (rechargeable) lithium batteries
    16 5,105,773 Full-Text Method and apparatus for enhancing combustion in an internal combustion engine through electrolysis
    17 4,969,096 Full-Text Method for selecting communication devices for non-speaking patients
    18 4,507,371 Full-Text Solid state cell wherein an anode, solid electrolyte and cathode each comprise a cubic-close-packed framework structure
    19 4,049,891 Full-Text Compositions for fast alkali-metal-ion transport
    It ain't good enough for me. Not to believe in miracles anyways. Or, for heavens sake, to become an inductivist.

Isn't an appeal to authority a serious logical fallacy, no matter how great the authority is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017 edited

He wouldn't be the first to do useful work and then go completely bonkers. Cf. Josephson, Kurzweil for starters.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows Stephen Hawking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I know him, I saw him on telly.
    Well, I sure hope to be wrong on this one.

But,. You know...
    Posted By: AngusHe wouldn't be the first to do useful work and then go completely bonkers. Cf. Josephson, Kurzweil for starters.

Kary Mullis is among my very favorite nuts. I think he even started that way.
    Posted By: Angusinventor Goodenough

Is his first name Boris?
    Clovis Goodenough

- if you can't afford tobacco
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Pathoskeptic
    Posted By: AngusHe wouldn't be the first to do useful work and then go completely bonkers. Cf. Josephson, Kurzweil for starters.

Kary Mullis is among my very favorite nuts. I think he even started that way.

After receiving his PhD, Mullis left science to write fiction, but quit and became a biochemist at a medical school in Kansas City. He then managed a bakery for two years. Mullis returned to science at the encouragement of friend Thomas White, who later got Mullis a job with the biotechnology company Cetus Corporation of Emeryville, California. Mullis worked as a DNA chemist

You wonder sometimes what the proportion of luck is in the Nobel. It's more than zero and maybe not much less than 1 in some cases.
    Not every Nobel laureate converse with green, glowing space raccoons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPathoskeptic

But, yes, Goodnenough has serious achievements. I am far too dumb to even begin to fathom what this guy means when it comes to batteries.

And if he has gone nuts, maybe, just maybe, even if I do not have great achievements in my career, it is not unreasonable to expect I can join him soon enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

Posted By: alsetalokinI know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows Stephen Hawking!

Yes, you do. At least via the moletrap. You can remove one 'who knows someone' too.....
    • CommentAuthorcwatters

Posted By: alsetalokinI know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows Stephen Hawking!

He ran over my foot in a record store once. It was my fault.
    I wrote him a letter a long time ago and he replied
    I watched a movie about him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Does anybody know Kevin Bacon?
    • CommentAuthorthehard

My Bacon number is 3.
    I have no connection to anyone called Bacon. I have no business interests in bacon. I have never discussed bacon. I may have said something about bacon twenty or so years ago but I do not recall the details. None of my colleagues know anything about bacon. I may like bacon or I may not.