Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017

Don't any underlayers to the electrodes make some difference?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017

Sorry Magic I am in love with somebody else as well.

https://youtu.be/wl0I2vl6ul0
    Got the hots for Braga eh?
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017

Here's a long interview shot in october with Mr. Goodenough. Maybe you can look for a glimpse of dementia in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ylhy-utbXY

Note that I just noticed he is actually named Johnny B Goodenough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxurt
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017 edited

Another US university claims a huge progress in batteries. Although they may not be as goodenough as the ones of Goodenough, they speak about 4 times higher capacities than current Li-ion, and they also use glass, though not as the electrolyte; it is for the anode (they use silicon instead of graphite):

https://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/46307
    • CommentAuthorthehard

Can you theoretically put this anode together with that electrolyte? That would be cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Great. The impenetrable electrolyte meets the insulating electrode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxurt

Posted By: AngusGreat. The impenetrable electrolyte meets the insulating electrode.

The glass electrolyte is conductive (hence not impenetrable), and the electrode is from silicon, not from glass, hence not insulating (the glass is the raw material used in the production only, here).
    Six impossible things before breakfast
      CommentAuthorxurt

Posted By: thehardCan you theoretically put this anode together with that electrolyte? That would be cool.

No, you cannot, because the Goodenough/Braga battery does not have a graphite anode, hence it cannot be replaced by carbon coated silicon nanoparticles as in the UCR battery. Goodenough/Braga battery uses solid alkali-metal lithium or sodium for the anode. Better told, it could be perhaps replaced by silicon too, but from the data published by both teams, it looks like the anode used by Goodenough/Braga has a bigger capacity, hence it would be counterproductive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Does Angus still think it is woo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I didn't say I did, so far as I recall.
    Anyway, I don't think that. I'm waiting to see what happens.
    That's OK, I'll think it for you, until whatever happens happens.
    It's Goodenough to Braga bout
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

+3
    I don't know battery technology, so cannot really say anything that matters. Interesting to see what happens next.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: PathoskepticSomeexpert opinions
    Thanks. That was pretty interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxurt

Indeed really interesting read, and finally explaining and addressing issues, that until now I did not see discussed anywhere. Besides others it explains the big discrepancies of energy density values I mentioned above earlier. It tells that you need to divide the en. density of the material (8.5 kWh/h at Goodeough, and 5.3 kWh/kg at UCR) approximately by four to get the real-world battery density (as for example listed at different batteries and fuels in WikiPedia). So the 8.5 kWh/kg would translate to a bit over 2 kWh/kg (about seven times more than current best Li-ion), and the 5.3 kWh/h would represent ~1.3 kWh/kg (almost 5 times the best Li-ion).

I think we'll hear back from other labs rather soon whether they manage to reproduce any of these two methods, or whether they are just bloated claims. In either case I am looking forward to hear the results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Thanks. Good read.