Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2017 edited

A number of "enterprising" folks are selling too-good-to-be-true software keys on eBay. eBay sometimes removes the listing at some point but not always. Always one to explore bizarre things, I bought some. One was a no longer available lifetime subscription to Malwarebytes antimalware pro for $10. I got a key and ID, put it on a for play Thinkpad with easily replaced OS and lo and behold, it works fine. I have three legitimate licenses too which I use for my working PC's. I found several vendors of these, some in Europe. I contacted one here and he told me he has a computer store and these are surplus OEM copies --he no longer installs that software. Not sure I believe it.

I looked on thepiratebay and there exists a key generator for Malwarebytes. I downloaded it and it is quite complicated to use. Not sure if that is what they do.

Now the plot thickens. I restored a very clean, industry surplus Thinkpad X230 (I do shit like that for fun during breaks and usually a young student ends up with the laptop). It came without a hard drive but it did have a Windows 7 COA. I installed Windows 7 and of course, the COA didn't work because it was "corporate" or some such.

eBay vendors also sell corporate COA's for Windows 10 Pro for around $10. From the UK, IIRC. The first time I used this method, it worked fine, Windows activated without a hitch. A keyfinder reported the COA was bbbb-bbbb-bbbb-bbbb! That means corporate is all. Second time I needed a Win10 key, I tried eBay again and this time, the key failed to work. Then, I used a program from thepiratebay to activate Windows and that worked fine. Virus and Malware checks including rootkits were all negative. I don't feel bad about it because there is still a method to get Win10 for free. You simply have to claim an assistive device or software and apparently nobody checks to see you have one. If anyone needs the link, I can probably find it.

Plot thickens further. Someone is selling an Office 365 personal account including all standard programs and features and a terabyte size OneDrive account for ... $10! So I buy one and it works. Here is what the resource list looks like.

Anyone know how THAT was done-- everything seems to work. It also allows up to five simultaneous installations of Office on five different devices including iOS and Android, Mac or PC. The ad said this was "lifetime"? Whatever that means.

I don't need this and won't use it (I wouldn't trust it to remain valid anyway) but I am curious. And this way I get to examine it cheap in case I ever actually want such an account (doubtful because of what Google offers free).

If you want to play with these things, check out eBay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: maryyugoIf you want to play with these things, check out eBay.

The idea of "playing" with software gives me the fragellating begrums. I avoid the use of computers entirely except for talking to you lot or doing something else equally amusing. One has spent enough of one's life trogging through stupid problems. And the nubile maidens await on the greensward...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Posted By: AngusAnd the nubile maidens await on the greensward...
    EXplain please. What nubile maidens ever have to wait? Or await? What's the difference anyhow?

What I mean by "play with" is sort of exercise the software and try it out to see if I need it or like it. In case I decide to put it on my work computer, I'd acquire it through the normal channels.

BTW, the issue on eBay is much more widespread than I thought! Worse yet, I might have overpaid. I saw the same Office 365 subscription for $3.50 "or best offer" (!!). Keys for Win7 and Win10 are also cheep. I wonder if Microsoft cares and what they are planning to do about it. They certainly screwed the key generation pooch!

But I am certainly not going to store serious work items in my newly acquired $10 "in perpetuity" (emphasis on the "perp") terabyte of OneDrive. But for the moment, if I need to share a very VERY large file, it's not going to be a problem where to put it!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Yah maybe... but Win7 works reasonably well by now, and even Win10 can be tamed with a combination of Winaero tweaks and other tweaker programs. And you can get help easily with most things that go wrong. So things with Microshit OS's are much better than when I first complained about them 4 or 5 years ago. far from ideal, of course, but much better. So much so, I am probably not switching to Apple's systems as I had tentatively planned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugoWhat nubile maidens ever have to wait?

Excellent point. I'm off to the greensward.

Oh - and "wait" is intransitive, taking no object. "I wait forever but the nubile maidens don't arrive". "Await" is transitive and takes an object. "The nubile maidens await me". (The "me" was suppressed in my previous post because I am too modest to proclaim that nubile maidens would put off other concerns on my behalf.)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

On the topic of things that go wrong in the night, a friend has a very nice inexpensive monochrome laser printer, a Pantum 2500W. It's "wireless" or USB and you can print your little heart out-- the cartridges for around 2500 page are around $60 --half that if third party -- and he paid something like $40 for the printer (how the hell do they do that? child labor?). Print quality is ... at least decent. Not presentation graphics good but fine for all routine work a mono laser would be normally used for. Egghead sells them, Amazon too but for considerably more cash.

Problem is, Pantum is a small company and though they try and they have a decent support site and an excellent manual, their software for communicating with the printer is quite crude in parts and some things are hard to solve. One of them is this error message which my friend's P2500W exhibits. After every page!

"P3000 PCL Status Monitor
    Please install flash player 9 or higher to support ActiveX control"
    [ok]

To start with, the printer is not a P3000. Second, Flash Player is latest version, constantly updated as needed. Third, wtf does a printer require Flash Player for? System is Win7Pro. So maybe wrong driver. I delete the printer in control panel and download a new driver direct from the Pantum site. I make absolutely sure I selected Windows and the right model printer. It installs fine from an exe file. Wireless installs fine. Printer prints but... SAME F'N ERROR AFTER EVERY PAGE. OK is not OK when you have to click it as many times as pages you print.

I ask if it was always like this. Owner says no-- it worked fine for a time and then this started to happen.
    We've just lived with it for a while, looked for a fix on Google, didn't really find one. Did it coincide with installing a new driver? He doesn't know. Maybe.

On a hunch I ask for the CD that came with the printer. It has an older version driver. I very carefully remove all traces of the old driver with Revo Uninstaller portable (a superb inexpensive program), reboot, and reinstall the driver from the CD. Lo and behold, no more error message after every print.

I still don't know what caused it. Obviously, not everyone who downloads the new software gets this problem or it would be all over the internet. I could learn something by going back and reinstalling the new driver again but you know what? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll let someone else work it out.
    I find these Windows-induced problems that you keep encountering rather endlessly amusing.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: AngusExcellent point. I'm off to the greensward.
    Thanks for the grammar elucidation but wtf is a greensward? yeah, I know I can look it up but I'd rather select some rum.

BTW, Moletrap's site has the weekend jitters again. "Some problems were encountered - there was a problem authenticating your post information" Gee, I didn't know they could authenticate what I write. How do they DO that?!
    And where were they when Sean was posting here? Or Hardcastle? They could have used some authentication!
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

I see that the Pantum website has a Linux driver for Ubuntu. I'll wager a cheezburger that it works fine and is easy to install. AND to uninstall.

And I'd be glad to test it, if someone wants to donate a printer and cartridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: maryyugowtf is a greensward

Well, it's where the nubile maidens frolic, silly.
    Everyone knows that
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: alsetalokinI see that the Pantum website has a Linux driver for Ubuntu. I'll wager a cheezburger that it works fine ...

What kind of cheez?
    Traditionally, plastic American. But sharp cheddar is acceptable. Yes mayo, mustard no, of course. I don't think I've ever tried Feta on a burger, but I'm willing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Feta is nice on a lamb burger with some minty yoghurt. Mmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: maryyugoIf you want to play with these things, check out eBay.

Have you read the license agreement?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Posted By: alsetalokinTraditionally, plastic American.
    Yep: Cheese analogue.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Posted By: aber0derHave you read the license agreement?
    Not yet. I am not even sure where it is. I have not done anything with my subscription except to sign on to make sure the name and password are valid.

ETA: I just looked at "legal" on the site and it's just the usual disclaimers of responsibility... not much about user limitations except for copying and distributing.

Here's a big clue: when I looked at an item that asked for location, it defaulted to Hong Kong! Or maybe it waas King Kong. I'll have to look closer.

But it's a huge array of stuff and what most of its purpose it, I don't have a clue. I'm not sure I want/need to know. But one thing may be useful. You can install on your desktop PC, personal use copies of every MS Office Pro 2016 program. Want to know the truth? I use MS Office 2003. It seems vastly simpler, completely reliable and you don't have to sort through myriads of menus to find what you need. You can still sometimes get legit copies on eBay. Anyway they have the original key with them.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I wrote the seller:
    Hi.
    Thanks for the prompt email. I am curious about two things, if you can say. How long are these valid and do they ever require renewal with Microsoft? And can you say, just generically, not specifically, where these come from and how it is possible the price is so reasonable?
    Thank you.

Hey,

1. This is for lifetime.
    2. Many company's have this subscription and can create unlimited accounts for their company. So they profit and try to get the monthly costs by selling slots in their company's subscription.

Yah shoore. For $10. And I did not know that MS sold lifetime subscriptions to what is an annually renewable service but maybe the corporate ones don't expire. What happens if the corporation stops paying? These may be fun for learning but they are certainly not suitable for any serious application.

Finally, at $10, I overpaid! Some eBay vendors offer them as low as $3.50. So much for the corporation selling these to lower their costs!

It's a strange world.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Yup, I remember the days when you bought a Microsoft product, there was no registration; you could use the product until you died and passed it on to your legatees.

I thought that "activation" was the height of chutzpah. Now, you can only rent software from the boys in Rednmond.

Pure nuttiness.