Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

Source Physorg

I wonder if Belguim has invented something more recently then Bakerlite and maps?

Microwave oven key to self-assembly process meeting semiconductor industry need
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ten Canadian scientists have won the Nobel Prize:

Sid Altman, Nobel Chemistry 1989 for Catalytic RNA
    Sir Frederick Banting, Nobel Medicine 1923 for Discovering Insulin
    Willard Boyle, Nobel Physics 2009 for Discovering the Charge Coupled Device
    Bert Brockhouse, Nobel Physics 1994 for Condensed Matter
    Gerhard Herzberg, Nobel Chemistry 1971 for Molecular Spectroscopy
    David Hubel, Nobel Medicine 1981 for Mapping the Visual Cortex
    Rudolph Marcus, Nobel Chemistry 1992 for Electron Transfer Reactions (e.g.: Rust)
    John Polanyi, Nobel Chemistry 1986 for Chemi- luminescence
    Michael Smith, Nobel Chemistry 1993 for Site-Based Mutagenesis
    Henry Taube, Nobel Chemistry 1983 for Electron Transfer Reactions
    Richard Taylor, Nobel Physics 1990 for verifying the Quark Theory

BTW I assume you mean Bakelite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

I thought you would take the bait. Ta

Here is a better idea from North America

Source Physorg

Hydrogen-generating technology might power boats, store energy from wind, solar sources
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

What are you on about? The two stories have nothing to do with each other.

The Purdue work amounts to using Aluminum as a fuel. Since it takes vast amounts of electrical energy to separate aluminum out of Bauxite it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Trim may be sharing too many glasses with PJH. Woodall and company at Purdue have been trying to sell gallium based schemes for hydrolyzing water with aluminum. The really basic problem with their schemes is the incredible cost of the gallium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

And the indium, but as material science progresses adequate substitutes may be found, if not all the material can be recycled.

@Angus
    Yes aluminium does take a lot of energy to create and recycle but using solar, wind, geothermal and hydro electricity as well as nuclear to maximum advantage it should save a lot of pollution that current supertankers create and work out at a similar cost to fossil fuels.
    It seems to me to be well worth perceiving with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimYes aluminium does take a lot of energy to create and recycle but using solar, wind, geothermal and hydro electricity as well as nuclear to maximum advantage it should save a lot of pollution that current supertankers create and work out at a similar cost to fossil fuels.

Much more efficient to use the primary power source directly. What's wrong with nuclear cargo ships? (We're already directly using wind power on large ships.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Yes I agree with you on the wind powered ships (Magnus effect rotor sails?) but the wind doesn't always blow so having aluminium back up power would be a good idea, having thousands of nuclear ships may not be a good idea what with all those pirates about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimYes I agree with you on the wind powered ships (Magnus effect rotor sails?) but the wind doesn't always blow so having aluminium back up power would be a good idea, having thousands of nuclear ships may not be a good idea what with all those pirates about.

Are you sure that a nuclear powered ship is a greater hazard than a supertanker full of oil in the hands of a desperate third world fisherman?

ETA reference on wind assisted ships
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Thanks I had forgotten about sky sails. Like sky turbines they seem to be too good an idea to catch on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Here's one for you: the Alcyone. I had forgotten that the Cousteau operation had constructed a new Flettner ship in the 1980s, and it still seems to be in service.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Thanks but it still uses 65% fossil fuel. The sky sail should beat that. It all depends on the costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

In my experience sailing an auxiliary sloop around here, if you actually have a destination and a reasonable ETA, then 65% motoring, 35% sailing is about typical.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Wind power for a ship. There is a new idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: TrimYes I agree with you on the wind powered ships (Magnus effect rotor sails?) but the wind doesn't always blow so having aluminium back up power would be a good idea, having thousands of nuclear ships may not be a good idea what with all those pirates about.

Ahhh... but can a wind powered ship travel downwind faster than the wind?????
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

*Grabs coat and runs away - very far very fast*
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

Posted By: Loonyman

Ahhh... but can a wind powered ship travel downwind faster than the wind?????

For the record - yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Bugsie
    So that was plan B, very sophisticated.
    •  
      CommentAuthormisterfish
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited

Posted By: Duracell*Grabs coat and runs away - very far very fast*

Faster than the wind ?????????????????

(running away even faster......)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

OK - now I have the record I WIN. I'll send it over to the other thread.