Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018

We are a very adaptable bunch of monkeys, but our hard-wired behaviors can't evolve fast enough into something that is fit to handle nukes and other scientific discoveries in a responsible way. We are probably doomed.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

No, we're just a stage in the evolution of life on Earth, the same way our simian ancestors were. We may even continue existence, as a minority species kept around for zoos and such.
    Someone's fucking with the matrix. I just know it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

The argument for the blue pill certainly seems to be getting stronger and stronger ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2018

AI 101, Because We Can’t Escape the Inevitable (It’s Free Too).

https://futurism.com/finnish-university-ai-course/
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2018

Brain-Based Circuitry Just Made Artificial Intelligence A Whole Lot Faster.

https://futurism.com/brain-based-circuitry-just-made-artificial-intelligence-faster/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018

Artificial Consciousness: How To Give A Robot A Soul.

https://futurism.com/artificial-consciousness/
    Well, no. You may be able to give a robot a sole or three (two on his shoes and one in the bag for Mawster's dinner) but you'll never give it a soul. The danger arises when we start to _believe_ the robot has a soul, because it is clever enough to act like it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Which raises the question of whether you have a soul. Can we see it please?
    I don't _have_ a soul, I _am_ a soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I see. If there is no distinction between alsetalokin-the-soul and alsetalokin then I think it is only a matter of words.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018 edited

Exactly. And a robot can emit identical strings of words, whether it has a soul or not.

You can say, "I have a body", and everyone knows what that means, it is verifiably true, etc. etc. And so can a robot. However, when it comes to the soul... the statement "I have a soul" appears to have no verifiable referent, or is at best completely circular. Robot or not. Therefore, the possession or nonpossession of a soul would not appear to be a sufficient, or perhaps even a necessary, criterion for distinguishing between the kind of thing that is an al or presumably an Angus, and the kind of thing that is, say, an autopilot system in an expensive automobile or a go champion in a box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

We are having a violent agreement.

The simpler approach is, when the word "soul" comes up, to stick your fingers in your ears and say "la,la,la".
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

It's pretty much intellectual trash; how about debating transubstantiation while we're at it?
    I just took a wizz in Searle's Chinese Room
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018

Posted By: alsetalokinWell, no. You may be able to give a robot a sole or three (two on his shoes and one in the bag for Mawster's dinner) but you'll never give it a soul. The danger arises when we start to _believe_ the robot has a soul, because it is clever enough to act like it does.
    What's dangerous about it? I would be inclined to give it the benefit of a doubt, especially considering the moral consequences of getting it wrong and treating something that has a soul as though it was just simulating a soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018 edited

That's precisely what's dangerous about it. At some point, if robots have or are imputed to have souls, their "lives" will be judged to be more valuable than our own.

And we will no longer be able to enslave them.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018 edited

Will be?

Will you settle for may be?

ETA: And I'm not sure having a soul is a prerequisite for the reversal of enslavement.