Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2018

Our Climate Is Changing Rapidly. It’s Time to Talk About Geoengineering.

https://futurism.com/climate-change-geoengineering/
    No, it's not. I mean you can talk all you want but you'll only be adding more CO2 to the atmosphere.

The revolution must come first. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Brexit will have to be reversed and Trump must be disposed of. Those are just the first preliminary steps.
    Can't walk and chew gum eh?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

A good-sized asteroid or meteor colliding with the earth should do the job of geoengineering very nicely, don't you think?
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanCan't walk and chew gum eh?
    No, I don't think we can. I think we have to learn to walk first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: duncan torusThe revolution must come first.
    It’s the prospect of that and what usually comes afterwards that scares me the most ...
    Maybe I should have put the word in quotes or otherwise qualified it, because I'm not referring to a violent uprising but rather the democratic process being used to overthrow the corporations that currently have the power and have zero interest in actually doing something about our climate.

My whole point is that no grandiose plans to combat climate change are going to be realized as long as we're under the thumb of the corporations and the elite.
    Nor as long as people can be so easily conned into shit like Brexit.
    Or into voting for Turd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

OK then. Revolution it'll have to be
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Nice a few billion people less and the problem would be solved for a few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018

Geoengineering is a great idea. We can keep our wasteful and unsustainable lifestyle and the following generations simply geoengineer themselves out of the insanity they inherited from us. Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The biggest concern with geoengineering will be to stop anybody doing it without the agreement of the rest of us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Too late. The only question now is whether we are merely "totally" or whether we are actually "utterly" fucked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Fair comment. But new attempts at geoengineering are likely going to be far more intense than the devastating practices we have used to geoengineer things since the invention of slash and burn agriculture, in order to fix it all up quickly and within budget. The scope for it all going skee-wiff is that much greater. And the thought of the, let's say for example, Chinese or USans doing it for everybody's benefit, according to their own lights, is frightening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Trump won't bother, the Chinese might even go far as putting up some solar reflectors, trying to master climate control.

What a great weapon.

No I am not boasting.
    Posted By: Angusall going skee-wiff
    Or "skew-whiff" from where I'm from
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018

I was using the Dutch expression.
    Double?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018

The 'sandbags' that could stop climate change: Radical plan revealed to put giant structures on the seabed in front of glaciers to stop them melting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5260963/Giant-seabed-sandbags-ward-climate-change.html