Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017

I had considered that aspect and I would take some consolation from it, but for the fact that what it does do is normalise these kinds of hate crimes by reinforcing the perception that, when they are targeted at certain groups, they are not even really newsworthy ...
    The beer-for-brains hooligans who did this stuff probably can't read anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017 edited

This would probably get the cop fired and maybe even prosecuted in the USA:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40852824

... but if the hypothetical USAn cop had just shot and killed the poor kid (for threatening with a shoelace or something), he'd get a paid vacation and an eventual acquittal if it ever even came to trial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: alsetalokinThe beer-for-brains hooligans who did this stuff probably can't read anyway.
    They almost certainly will not understand the successful roles they have played as recruiters for IS, Al Quaeda and other fundamentalist Islamic terrorist organisations ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: alsetalokinThis would probably get the cop fired and maybe even prosecuted in the USA:

... but if the hypothetical USAn cop had just shot and killed the poor kid (for threatening with a shoelace or something), he'd get a paid vacation and an eventual acquittal if it ever even came to trial.

Speaking to the BBC, his staff sergeant Paul Bois praised Mr Jeyanesan's actions.
    "Arresting him wouldn't have been in the best interests of anyone," he said.
    "I reacted very positively to the news; all issues were resolved by the action the officer took.
    "It reiterates our goal of being positive role models in the community."

Wow! Reason and common sense. How vanishingly rare it is becoming these days to encounter such an attitude from someone in his position...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

If you mean the Toronto Police Service, you are correct, unfortunately. Let us hope they are turning a corner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017 edited

Unfortunately, the problem of police failing to use common sense and apply reason does not seem to be limited to Toronto...
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinThis would probably get the cop fired and maybe even prosecuted in the USA:

But remember this, my brother
    See in this some higher plan
    You must use this precious silver
    To become an honest man
    By the witness of the martyrs
    By the Passion and the Blood
    God has raised you out of darkness
    I have bought your soul for God.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017

Posted By: oakI have bought your soul for God.
    Gods cobblers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime6 days ago

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Now this is strange. I could swear that I posted "But I ordered Italian Sausage" in this thread a couple hours ago. What happened to my comment?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Well, I hope it's not censorship due to pcstru's interpretation of "Italian Sausage".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Ethnic slurs are not acceptable on the 'trap. Except sometimes.
    Why use a slur when a full-on insult is so much more effective?

As in "Fucking {list of all countries on Earth}"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Stop it. With that much "Fucking" cardinality, you're reminding me of the Roman Catholic Church.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990 used by UK to boost weapon sales

The British government saw Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait as an “unparalleled opportunity” to sell arms to Gulf states, according to recently declassified secret documents.

Clark explained: “Whatever deployment policies we adopt I must emphasise that this is an unparalleled opportunity for DESO; a vast demonstration range with live ammunition and ‘real’ trials.”

Later in the memo, Clark adds: “I have pencilled a list of current defence sales prospects at the start of the crisis. These are now likely to be brought forward and increase in volume if we do our stuff.”

Clark believed that sharing intelligence with the Gulf states in the run-up to war could be a useful marketing tool for the arms industry. He advanced a plan for a senior intelligence officer to make weekly visits to Gulf states to share “highly sanitised” briefings that would not be in “violation of our understandings with the US”. Clark was clear about the benefits of such visits, noting that they would “provide a useful entree for the DESO representative when appropriate”.

Charles Powell, Thatcher’s private secretary, told Clark in a memo that he wanted him to use his visit to Gulf rulers to point out that the UK has been faster and better at responding to help its Gulf allies than France, an arms export rival.

The issue of exports was clearly a sensitive issue for ministers, however. In one memo to Powell, William Waldegrave, minister of state for foreign and Commonwealth affairs, opposed the government’s decision to raise Saddam’s human rights abuses, saying that it provoked the inevitable question of “why did you go on doing so much business with him?”
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime4 days ago

It's an old old story. After WWI Vickers paid Krupp royalties on German fuze designs that Vickers had used throughout the war.

http://armingallsides.on-the-record.org.uk/case_studies/vickers-and-krupp/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime3 days ago

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Seems more like Parodies than Paradies to me ...