Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2018

Buzzkill!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2018

Light 'relaxes' crystal to boost solar cell efficiency.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180405155534.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

Cheapest supplier of solar panels I can find now:
    https://www.solar-outlet.nl/zonnepanelen/ja-solar-zonnepanelen/

That is 142,50 euro for 270 wattpeak, including 21% vat. In The Netherlands you can get the vat back for solar power investments, also as private person. Effectively setting the price to 117,77 euro for 270 wattpeak, which equals to 44 euro cents per wattpeak. Retail consumer price.

Anywhere cheaper?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2018 edited

Installation, of course, will be substantially more. Storage and conversion, even more so.

How about insurance against natural disasters?
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

A moletrapper does installation him/herself. Storage not needed with net metering. Inverter is about 13 cents per wattpeak excluding vat (from same site, Omnik 3k). About one fourth of the panel costs. Sloped roof construction kit is about 6 cents per wattpeak.

Complex stuff makes simple things expensive. When stayhing with the above list, the total price is about 64 cents per wattpeak. This will make 1920 euro for complete set of 2700 wattpeak. Enough to produce 2500 kWh per year in The Netherlands, good for small households.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

In this example the panels are about 70% of the total costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

25 year factory guarantee on panel, normal home insurance also covers solar panels (in NL). And with a price of less than 2k, who cares about insurance.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2018 edited

In the US, solar panels are typically not covered, but then I suspect that you don't get many tornadoes or hailstorms in the Netherlands. In my area, falling trees is a major roof taker-outer.

At best, it can supplement power. For example, the heat pump on my home has two circuit breakers--one 40 amp, the other 60 amp on a 240V circuit. I suspect that the solar cells will not power a submersible water well pump down a 100 meter fole.

I have a friend in southern Oregon who has installed a lot of solar on his A-frame home because the electrical utility wants $150K to run service to his house. He has a lot of storage batteries and manages lighting and some small appliances, but he still has to use a generator to power his well pump.

The local electrical cooperative has installed a solar installation on land that they own. They will "rent" any number of solar panels to you. That looked pretty good until we looked at the ROI. Even the utility admits that the break-even point is at 17 years.

Good thing that we're mostly hydro and wind here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

BTW, with a consumer power price of 20 eurocent/kWh the example system above pays back in 4 years. ROI of 25%. And after these 4 years there is still 21 more left for free.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

That's one thing here--we have some of the lowest power prices in the nation.

The big federally-owned power provider here is BPA, Bonneville Power Administration. The Columbia Gorge is ideal for windfarms in addition to hydro, as it's basically a hole through the Cascade mountain range. BPA pays windfarm owners not to produce during high wind times, as it cannot deal with the grid overload.

Note also, that BPA is working on sending power down to MY's area.

Like everything else in this world, there are three primary considerations to most things: location, location and location.

https://www.bpa.gov/Pages/home.aspx
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2018

Psst! A whispering gallery for light boosts solar cells.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-psst-gallery-boosts-solar-cells.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018

Solar powered sea slugs shed light on search for perpetual green energy.

https://www.nanowerk.com/news2/green/newsid=50118.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

"It's a remarkable feat because it's highly unusual for an animal to behave like a plant and survive solely on photosynthesis,"

But all animals survive solely on photosynthesis. And some do behave like plants. Sea anemones, barnacles and certain segments of society, for example.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

The problem with photosynthesis, whether it's from an organism that implements it or from the gut of a sea slug that ingests photosynthetic algae is that it's not a particularly dense energy source.

Most ruminants eat pretty much during their entire waking cycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Asterixt it's not a particularly dense energy source.

So true. If you tell a tree hugger that the solar cell farm over there is something like seven times more efficient than the forest you won't get thanked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

Make that into 25 times at least. Biomass is very unefficient compared to solar cells. And it needs much more maintenance.
    Posted By: AsterixMost ruminants eat pretty much during their entire waking cycle.

Reminds me of a girl I knew in high school...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: ping1400Make that into 25 times at least. Biomass is very unefficient compared to solar cells. And it needs much more maintenance.

Right. I was referring to the efficiency of the photosynthesis process itself, vis-a-vis the quantum efficiency of current photodiodes.