Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011

BBC

If this can be combined with the Eureqa programme than wow!

Quantum computing device hints at powerful future
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011 edited

Interesting links Trim.

(You are probably well aware of http://www.quantiki.org/wiki/Main_Page, but for those who are not it is a very good resource for information and news about Quantum computing)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Rather than the ones and zeroes of digital computing, quantum computers deal in what are known as superpositions - states of matter that can be thought of as both one and zero at once.
    I love this stuff. Finally, you can be right and wrong at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Typical woman they are always right especially when they are wrong.

@Cruel Lad

Thanks I hadn't come across it.
    This
    http://www.news.ucsb.edu/2014/014074/superconducting-qubit-array-points-way-quantum-computers
    leads to this
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news/530516/google-launches-effort-to-build-its-own-quantum-computer/

When they get from 5 qubits to 8 qubits, I expect they'll call it a quyte.

Looks like Mr. Fowler is Breakthrough Boy. But what this "surface code" error correction is about isn't clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014

It's for superficial errors.
    heh
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news/530516/google-launches-effort-to-build-its-own-quantum-computer/

In other words D-Wave was a dud. Quantum error correction is something that Geordie has implicitly chided - perhaps he didn't know he was doing that. It will be ironic if an adiabatic device shows real utility by embracing what D-Wave shunned.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Dud-Wave.
    Did Google buy D-Wave? They are being awfully nice about it - so much so it smells like pure BS
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014 edited

The NYT article from last year says: "Google bought the machine in cooperation with the Universities Space Research Association, a nonprofit research corporation that works with NASA and others to advance space science and technology. Outside researchers will be invited to the lab as well."

So partial ownership or something.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/google-buys-a-quantum-computer/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

From the article:
    However, Google has not given up on D-Wave. In an online statement, the leader of Google’s quantum research said that the two companies will continue to work together, and that Google’s D-Wave computer will be upgraded with a new 1,000 qubit processor when it becomes available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

I did read that but I'm reasonably certain that doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

a) That kind of talk is cheaper than the Vietnamese Dong.
    b) D-Wave was a QUBO solver. There is absolutely nothing else it can EVER do (computationally speaking) even with the upgrade. Now if someone spends $15M (or some portion thereof) on a QUBO solver it is reasonable to assume they have some QUBO's to solve. Reports indicate that the majority of Google's time has been spent running benchmarks. This is a financial loser for them.

I'm wiling to make a bet of 1953120 VND (Vietnamese Dong - roughly $100 CDN) to the charity of your choice. Google never buys the upgrade or the upgrade (predicted since 2008) does not appear by year-end 2015. This includes Google buying the equipment as part of a consortium but NOT D-Wave donating or any kind of in-kind transfer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

As you might know if you had been around for the DWFFTW escapade, I don't bet on anything. In this case I also have no particular interest other than trying to keep posters to the facts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

I probably missed that thread. I'd quibble on which facts are being discussed here. I'd agree that it's a fact that Google stated that they haven't given up on D-Wave. However what I'm saying is that they very likely have.
    So you're telling us that you believe Google would actually lie to the public?

Next you'll be telling me that politicians aren't always honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

...and that people are wrong on the internet.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: alsetalokinSo you're telling us that you believe Google would actually lie to the public?

Next you'll be telling me that politicians aren't always honest.
    I will only say such things if that is what it takes in order to get your vote.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014

Posted By: E-ManI did read that but I'm reasonably certain that doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

a) That kind of talk is cheaper than the Vietnamese Dong.
    b) D-Wave was a QUBO solver. There is absolutely nothing else it can EVER do (computationally speaking) even with the upgrade. Now if someone spends $15M (or some portion thereof) on a QUBO solver it is reasonable to assume they have some QUBO's to solve. Reports indicate that the majority of Google's time has been spent running benchmarks. This is a financial loser for them.

I'm wiling to make a bet of 1953120 VND (Vietnamese Dong - roughly $100 CDN) to the charity of your choice. Google never buys the upgrade or the upgrade (predicted since 2008) does not appear by year-end 2015. This includes Google buying the equipment as part of a consortium but NOT D-Wave donating or any kind of in-kind transfer.

I donno... There's something about getting paid in Vietnamese Dong that I find a bit distressing. Could I have my payment in Vietnamese Poosay instead??