Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I believe these are the "so-called French green" lentils. They certainly cost enough. They are smaller, grey-green with black spots, sold from the bulk bins at the local "Gucci-B" and are very different looking from the generic, cheap, larger brown lentils you get for a few pennies per plastic bagful in the Bean Aisle.

Just had another bowlful for dinner.
    Bet you did, bet you did!
    I'm sure you'd prefer them with the glycosides left in.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

Try your local Indian foods market--many have a bewildering variety of pulses, including lentils. The ones intended for dal usually have been hulled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: alsetalokinI believe these are the "so-called French green" lentils.

Puy Lentils.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017 edited

Yep, them's them.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who write these recipes actually try them themselves.

Here's a good one.
    http://nourishedkitchen.com/lentil-stew/

Soaking is apparently controversial, but "our grandmothers" knew better.
    http://chefjohnash.com/soaking-lentils/
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017 edited

Posted By: AsterixTry your local Indian foods market--many have a bewildering variety of pulses, including lentils. The ones intended for dal usually have been hulled.

Heh... my "local" Indian foods market is waaaaay on the other side of town. Far too far to go when I can get the lentils I like to eat at the Gucci-B which is much closer (but still a 20 minute drive).
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Some differentiate between "French green" and "Puy" lentils.

Could be that "puy" lentils have to come from La Puy (Euro PDO).

WikiP lists even more varieties.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017

For about a week, a container of giant red California strawberries has sat in the fridge. Utterly flavorless and white in the center. Can't stand the things--and I like strawberries.

This morning, I visited a local farm and picked up a flat of the real things. Sweet, intense flavor, only matched by wild strawberries. The downside is that they'll last only a few days, even with refrigeration, so they're not supermarket fare; they're mostly used as frozen or processed fruit--much of the crop winds up in ice cream.

I don't know why people eat the crunchy flavorless supermarket stuff. I similarly wonder what the attraction is for boneless skinless chicken breasts. They have absolutely no flavor to my palate.
    It's the same reason I prefer women with hairy armpits
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017

And search the bush for the man in the boat with corn bread on the night stand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017

Posted By: AsterixFor about a week, a container of giant red California strawberries has sat in the fridge. Utterly flavorless and white in the center. Can't stand the things--and I like strawberries.

This morning, I visited a local farm and picked up a flat of the real things. Sweet, intense flavor, only matched by wild strawberries. The downside is that they'll last only a few days, even with refrigeration, so they're not supermarket fare; they're mostly used as frozen or processed fruit--much of the crop winds up in ice cream.

I don't know why people eat the crunchy flavorless supermarket stuff. I similarly wonder what the attraction is for boneless skinless chicken breasts. They have absolutely no flavor to my palate.

Here they are called "California turnips".
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017

They do have the same sort flavorless characteristics as a turnip. Add to that crunchy supermarket tomatoes and pretty but flavorless supermarket apples.
    Grilled Cheese with Anchovies

Toast two slices of brown bread in the toaster.

Assemble insert by layering:

One slice of jalapeno white cheddar or jack
    3 anchovies
    One slice of sharp cheddar
    One generous smear of Huy Fong hot chili sauce
    One slice of jalapeno white cheddar or jack

Insert insert between toast slices.

Place on saucer, microwave 28 seconds on High.

Eat. (Caution, cheese will be hot!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017 edited

I've always wanted to order some mammoth ribs.

Thank-you, Peter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017

Up here in the Precambrian Shield they are generally called Dinosaur Ribs.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017

Slow-cooker pulled pork tenderloin in a tomato-chili-garlic sauce. The sauce was good enough that I threw a bunch of pinto beans into it and cooked it a bit more for a side of chili. Good eatin' without much effort at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017

Coupe Roast

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime5 days ago

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTime5 days ago

BBQ your vegan gluten free low carb cloned twin.