Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011

New Scientist

I think this could be a really major breakthrough. Al sell your body to medical research and buy some shares if you can.

Evolution machine: Genetic engineering on fast forward
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

New Scientist

What is this forum about? Probably the most important idea of the 21st century and not one comment about it.

Evolution machine:
    Don't tell God. He might take offense. As long as we keep it amongst ourselves, we'll be all right.

(I can neither confirm nor deny that TKLabs has recently taken a large order for specialized Sandwich Printers with the attached PCR module, to be delivered to an upscale address in Boston.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimNew Scientist

What is this forum about? Probably the most important idea of the 21st century and not one comment about it.

Evolution machine:

When you don't know what you're doing, try everything.
    There's an awful lot of everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

According to Enginerd's Dictum "Almost nothing is possible".
    I'm not sure what he means by that, but I will contemplate it (in case it means something).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: BronzeSwordI'm not sure what he means by that, but I will contemplate it (in case it means something).

It is probably one of the deepest insights we have had on moletrap, and I'm being serious. (Seriously!)
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011 edited

Posted By: AngusAccording to Enginerd's Dictum "Almost nothing is possible".

I've been thinking this could be developed into "Nothing is possible". There are a finite amount of Things That Are Possible and an infinite amount of Things That Are Impossible, thus:

a/oo = 0*

Where "a" is the Things That Are Possible. Therefore nothing is possible.

*OK, it might be a number arbitrarily close to zero, but I'm rounding down for simplicity. And dividing by infinity may be nonsensical, but I don't give a shit. So there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I think we can cover all the ground by stating it in the form:

"In the limit of many things the proportion of possible things goes to zero."

However, enginerd's original was more fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I would like the EM to produces phage's for every pathogenic bacteria we know and dummy bacteria which would be a super bio magnet for harmful viruses in the body or of course antibodies. Then we can produce smart disease proof long lived humans and of course roo-bots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

There are three punctuations in that, of which two are periods and one is incorrect. Could you clarify please?
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: BronzeSwordI'm not sure what he means by that, but I will contemplate it (in case it means something).

It is probably one of the deepest insights we have had on moletrap, and I'm being serious. (Seriously!)

true dat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: AngusAccording to Enginerd's Dictum "Almost nothing is possible".

I've been thinking this could be developed into "Nothing is possible". There are a finite amount of Things That Are Possible and an infinite amount of Things That Are Impossible, thus:

a/oo = 0*

Where "a" is the Things That Are Possible. Therefore nothing is possible.

*OK, it might be a number arbitrarily close to zero, but I'm rounding down for simplicity. And dividing by infinity may be nonsensical, but I don't give a shit. So there.

I've just been thinking about what you said. What makes you say that there is a finite number of things that are possible? I would assume that there is an infinite number of things that are possible, and another infinite number of things that are thinkable*, and that the first infinity is smaller than the second.

*And there is another infinity that includes both possible and thinkable, and other stuff besides. Enginerd's dictum does not address an interesting question:

Is the set of the possible completely within the set of the thinkable?
    Posted By: BronzeSwordThere's an awful lot of everything.

Reminds me of Steven Wright's statement that if you owned everything where would you put it?
    • CommentAuthorNick Hawk

"Reminds me of Steven Wright's statement that if you owned everything where would you put it?"

My Wife and Son have solved that one; - Everywhere
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"What makes you say that there is a finite number of things that are possible?"

Are there a finite number of "rules" within the universe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

Posted By: loreman"What makes you say that there is a finite number of things that are possible?"

There are no rules. What we call rules are simply our way of making sense out of what we observe.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: loreman"What makes you say that there is a finite number of things that are possible?"

There are no rules. What we call rules are simply our way of making sense out of what we observe.

Which is why I used the inverted commas, but you know what I mean-the sharpest ends of the probability gradient, the C's, the E's and the Golden Means
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well, then, no - the number of "rules" is infinite because we can never observe all of infinite reality in order to know if we have got them all.