Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011 edited

For you astronomers and astrophysicists.

Galaxy classification is out of tune, say astronomers
    • CommentAuthortensor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011

OBSERVATORY, n. A place where astronomers conjecture away the guesses of their predecessors.

--Ambrose Bierce
    Bierce had it right. Astrophysics is a science whose laboratories are the most remote of all, so far distant from their subject matter and of such different scales in all possible dimensions that it's amazing we know anything at all about the cosmos. When I look through my telescope at a dim fuzzy spiral outline, I know today that it's a galaxy of trillions of stars trillions of miles distant, but it boggles my mind to think that even Edwin Hubble didn't know that for sure. Less than 100 years ago the best guess about "spiral nebulae" was that they were star clouds in the Milky Way or slightly outside of it.
    The article is in line with what I and several others have thought for some time. A galaxy is like a cat. Depending on the angle of view, the age of the cat, the distance, and what the cat is doing at the time of observation, the cat can look very different. You can even mistake a black cat for a white rabbit, on some occasions. At least I have, but maybe that's another story.
    Perhaps a galaxy starts as a gravitational clumping of vast interstellar soot and sand clouds. Then if massive enough it goes thru a quasar stage as the central black hole is consolidated. The classic dusty spiral is next, then as it ages the dust is blown away and the unstable stars burn out, leaving a big elliptical Pop II ball of stars. In between, the black hole can start up and stop accretion depending on whether the Fenachrone are done with it or not. If the axis of the galaxy is pointed in the right direction we see the BH's jets. If it's pointed right at us we see a quasar or an extragalactic GRB.

I wonder about bars in spirals, myself. The MW has recently been remodeled as a barred spiral, you know.

Thanks for the article.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

"I wonder about bars in spirals, myself"

So many permutations, so little time....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

I wonder about spirals in Mars bars, myself!

*ducks and runs*
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited

Well, why not?
    Angular momentum and linear momentum are conserved and are conserved separately.
    I don't see anything that actually requires the total conserved quantities to be identically zero. Maybe the universe was born with spin, and translational momentum too.

But spinning in and moving through.... what???
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Brrrraaaaaaanes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

• CommentAuthorenginerd

Astorphysicists have almost as little control over good experiments as sociologists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Physorg

Talking about time, here is a time cloak. Maybe one day they will be able to stop time.

Physicists demonstrate a time cloaking device
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimBBC

No dark matter?

Dwarf galaxies suggest dark matter theory may be wrong

Not understanding how scientific thinking works, Silver Sword will be crowing. I'm glad I don't have to try to explain the facts to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I must say to me dark matter is a complication I can do without.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimI must say to me dark matter is a complication I can do without.

If you say that to you be sure nobody else is listening or they will think you very strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: TrimBBC

No dark matter?

Dwarf galaxies suggest dark matter theory may be wrong

Not understanding how scientific thinking works, Silver Sword will be crowing. I'm glad I don't have to try to explain the facts to him.

Thank God for testable predictions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: TrimI must say to me dark matter is a complication I can do without.

If you say that to you be sure nobody else is listening or they will think you very strange.

I am very strange! Definitely a one off.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011 edited

Posted By: TrimI am very strange! Definitely a one off.

Nonsense. In an infinite Universe, there must logically be an infinite number of exact duplicates of you, an infinite number of miniscule variations on you, and so on, ad infinitum. In fact, you can't even be sure that you are you and you alone, yourself.