Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

Children. What about children? (they always shit just after you leave the station.) Change them on your lap while strapped in, to the delight of neighbouring passengers.
    Posted By: maryyugo
    Take a bike.
    No thank you. Only on the beach. I am partial to my Belchfire V6. Otherwise, I like United Air Lines. First class of course.
    This route is the most travelled corridor in the Western United States. You wish to impose elitist values upon this proposed system intended for a large number of people? Perhaps you also wish them to eat cake.

Of course.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNonsense. There's enough meat on the bone to show at a conceptual level (which is what this is) that a superior solution exists for getting between SF and LA than that proposed by the bureaucrats. For that, at least, one should be grateful.
    Two bad ideas do not a good idea make.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: aber0der
    Posted By: maryyugoBut it isn't just that or even mainly that. Anyway, the whole idea of compressing people into a narrow tube without windows in which they can't even sit upright or move out of their seat is ludicrous. It may be acceptable for an astronaut but the average person will not stand for it. Not even once.

So far people got used to travel by plane, by car, by train etc. What would be different this time?
    The claustrophobia issue is not necessarily that overblown. Go ask people how they feel about CAT scans or MRIs in the classic tube style machines. Many people freak out.

I am far more concerned about the basic feasibility problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013 edited

Well, I was being the Devil's Advocate but I suppose any real life device would get a lot of testing and would end up larger, so that people can sit properly and even walk in it maybe stooped over a bit, with probably a bathroom and an aisle. Otherwise it would be dead before it got started.

As for safety, it would be decades before I trusted it. And I suspect that would be true for many people. Too many things can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, wrong, go wrong, go wrong, wrong, go wrong, go wrong, etaoinshrdlu....

... Mary had a little lamb. ...Twinkle twinkle little star Oh... I don't feel so good. I'm shutting this show down. Please wait for the rescue drone. Mr. Musk promised that it should arrive within a week or two.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013 edited

Well, he's going to be competing with the TKLabs FOARTS.

(Fractional Orbital Aerodynamic Rapid Transport System). Less than 20 minutes from NY to LA, and during most of that you will be completely weightless and silent. And what a view! The 90 percent transparent FOARTS hulls, similar to giant polycarbonate bullets, will be launched by compressed air from a specially designed launcher (erroneously referred to by our competitors as a "cannon") into a semiballistic trajectory that will end in a gentle final glide into standard reception facilities at LAX's new 5000 foot diameter padded target zone. Similar facilities are planned for JFK.
    "So fast you don't have time to puke" will be one tagline for the adverts.
    Having a shitter means that every metre of the entire length of track needs be widened to allow passage down a car for a moving passenger. So as usual it comes down to economics. That said, there's a proposal to have a pod that can carry cars. If that's what gets accepted, then I think you get your passenger aisle.
    Posted By: alsetalokinWell, he's going to be competing with the TKLabs FOARTS.

(Fractional Orbital Aerodynamic Rapid Transport System). Less than 20 minutes from NY to LA, and during most of that you will be completely weightless and silent. And what a view! The 90 percent transparent FOARTS hulls, similar to giant polycarbonate bullets, will be launched by compressed air from a specially designed launcher (erroneously referred to by our competitors as a "cannon" into a semiballistic trajectory that will end in a gentle final glide into standard reception facilities at LAX's new 5000 foot diameter padded target zone. Similar facilities are planned for JFK.
    "So fast you don't have time to puke" will be one tagline for the adverts.
    FOARrr! You're sailing close to a space loop here. Knapman reckons that $25 B covers it for something this size. Plus it stores energy, launches humans direct to Mars, provides free power, supports tourism and makes the tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

OK, fair's fair. I think one should judge the thing on technical possibilities rather than amenities as currently proposed. (The version presented would suit a childless, anal billionaire technogeek down to a T, but clearly is wildly misdesigned for real people.)

What's new seems to be the idea of using a partly evacuated tunnel and having the vehicle power itself from a battery when in cruise mode. That's interesting but leads to the difficulty that a lot of heat will be generated by the vehicle from inefficiencies and you can't get rid of it by radiation or by cooling with the thin atmosphere in the tunnel. Musk's solution is to store it on board in water and swap out the water tanks at each stop. That sounds like both a hazard and a hassle, and I wonder just how much deadweight water you have to drag along. Possibly you could dump the water en route and have it drain out the tube, but that doesn't seem to have been suggested.

The partially aerodynamic lift and tunnel guidance gives me the heebiejeebies. I don't know if anybody has ever made a hovercraft to operate at near sonic speeds. I don't think you get much intrinsic stability with that. Would a slight breeze send it into the tunnel wall? It's a small vehicle. What happens if the PAX move about (as they are going to have to in a real machine.)

Is it scalable? The vehicle size/tunnel diameter/speed relationship seems pretty rigid.
    As a child, Musk was fascinated by pneumatic tube interoffice communication systems. One day while visiting Father in his office downtown, young Elon placed his GI Joe action figure into a capsule, with plenty of Kandy Korn and peanuts, and fired it off, to parts unknown. Ever since then he's been waiting for it to come home, deep in his subconscious mind.
    Scaleable? - just that K-somebody limit he cites. He also says that air bearings have been tested supersonically. This is subsonic.
    I think this moving about stuff is bollocks. After all, entire billions have been trained to wear seat belts
    I agree that the heat issue is important. There's lots of spare power available, so why not run an A/C unit? And chuck the heat out the back. Stirling engine?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

There are a lot of fundamental issues that have not been fleshed out at all. It remains a brain fart. If he develops the brain fart into a viable proof of concept then I will be very impressed. Until then it looks stupid to me from many angles.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI agree that the heat issue is important. There's lots of spare power available, so why not run an A/C unit? And chuck the heat out the back. Stirling engine?
    What are you going to exchange the heat with in a thin atmosphere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI think this moving about stuff is bollocks. After all, entire billions have been trained to wear seat belts

With moderate success. Have your children (or pets!?) never broken discipline? Given the consequences of destabilising the vehicle, I think it has to be stable against foreseeable passenger movement. Including rage, fornication, and drunken vomiting.

Dumping heat out the back is no use unless it can get out of the tube before the next vehicle arrives in 30 seconds. I still like physically dumping the water, but that means you have a consumable on board - which may or may not be a good idea. Also, it changes the car loading in transit (see above).

I'm sure air bearings have been tested supersonically. What I'm wondering is whether they operate reliably enough in this particular subsonic regime. Musk seems to think some of the onboard power has to go to operating the air cushion. So that seems to imply a servo of some sort to keep it flying accurately. It doesn't sound stable like a maglev.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Musk's next brilliant move will be to incorporate twisted channels in the tube walls for stability.
    I read the 57 page PDF and am even more impressed.

This is open source, so it belongs to anyone who chooses to participate.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThis is open source, so it belongs to anyone who chooses to participate.
    Where's the part about what you do if something causes your compartment to stop moving while another one is bearing down on you at 700 mph just 30 seconds in trail?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Start praying. You won't have to pray for long. The Mainway Meat Wagon will be along soon enough.