Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

Will no one think of the children!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017

I terminated my quest for Lithuanian dual citizenship when I saw the suicide figures. (As my grandparents emigrated to the US from the old country, I'm eligible).

How depressing!
    • CommentAuthoramir shah
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017 edited

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017

Posted By: AsterixI terminated my quest for Lithuanian dual citizenship when I saw the suicide figures. (As my grandparents emigrated to the US from the old country, I'm eligible).

Let me see if I understood. Suicide figures dissuaded you from seeking US citizenship? Do you think it's contagious?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2017 edited

Posted By: amir shah https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/castiles-girlfriend-reaches-settlement-over-police-shooting/ar-BBFUCqf

"Officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges"

Maybe his boss told him not to make that again.[/br]

Outrageous. Manslaughter? Not sure about that. Terminal negligence and incompetence probably. I also thought the settlement too small.

And nowadays, a driver has to be extra cautious during a traffic stop or any police contact for that matter. Keep both hands visible at all times. Ask permission to reach for ANYTHING, wait for the OK and if it's behind you (example: wallet) turn around so the cop can see it. You can get inexpensive dash cameras that film both in the direction of the road and back into the car. If you have one, make sure the cop knows it.

And still, while any is too many, the number of inappropriate encounters with police is a very small percentage of the total and, unlike in the Castiles case, as often as not, the harmed individual will have done something really stupid like trying to evade or deliberately failing to comply with simple instructions. These people who reach for their waistband or keep hand in pockets after being told not to make me crazy. No, they don't deserve to die for stupidity but what is the cop supposed to do? It takes a split second for someone to "produce" a pistol and shoot the cop in the head or neck with it, above his protective vest.
    These "problems" are all a direct result of your poxy 2nd Amendment.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: AsterixI terminated my quest for Lithuanian dual citizenship when I saw the suicide figures. (As my grandparents emigrated to the US from the old country, I'm eligible).

Let me see if I understood. Suicide figures dissuaded you from seeking US citizenship? Do you think it's contagious?

Re-read my post. I'm a native-born US Citizen. Why would I want to seek citizenship in the European suicide capital, even though I'm eligible to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But still the question remains...why?

My personal view is : latitude. Suicide rates in genuinely northern communities are generally high. And Lithuania is far more northern than anything of significance on this continent.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

Vodka. Economics. Power structure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Those too, but at the root...?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

It's very complicated. Consider correlation between happiness and suicide.

But I wouldn't call Lithuania a happy place. The Soviet collapse in the 1990s caused a huge spike.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: AsterixIt's very complicated. Considercorrelation between happiness and suicide.

But I wouldn't call Lithuania a happy place. The Soviet collapse in the 1990s caused a huge spike.

Those "happy" places may just be places where the population for whatever reason (genetics, economy, vodka) are more emotionally labile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited

Latvia has a suicide rate of 17/100000, Lithuania 26/100000, (Estonia is 14/100000, Finland the same. We can attribute those to language). So why are Latvia and Lithuania, neighbouring countries with Baltic language, culture and history, so different?

As a clue, though I have no idea how to interpret it, Poland, a Catholic, not Lutheran, country, with a Slavic language and culture, has a suicide rate of 18/100000.

Could it be a delayed result of the Polish-Lithuanian alliance of the sixteenth century?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

No, what I understand from today's denizens is that the power structure is very rigid and a bit feudal. In other words, after the Soviet crackup, not a whole lot really changed.

OTOH, I understand that Lithuania has great Internet service.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: AsterixRe-read my post. I'm a native-born US Citizen. Why would I want to seek citizenship in the European suicide capital, even though I'm eligible to?
    Sorry I misread your post but I wasn't clear which country you were talking about which had the high suicide rate. Anyway, like I said, what the rate is in a country need not affect you. Maybe it's genes, maybe it's poverty, maybe it's disease, diet, social status, expectations, etc. etc. etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixNo, what I understand from today's denizens is that the power structure is very rigid and a bit feudal. In other words, after the Soviet crackup, not a whole lot really changed.

OTOH, I understand that Lithuania has great Internet service.

In what way would Latvia be different?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusIn what way would Latvia be different?

More ethnic Russians?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

My Latvian co-worker says it's the better quality of life. Russian tourists frequent Latvia and spend lots of rubles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Russians prevent suicide. Who'da thunk it?
    House passes bill loosening gun restrictions (arseholes on the loose again)
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/gun-restrictions-house-vote-concealed-carry/index.html