Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Not if you distributed the guns in england handing them out at pubs at closing time.
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: alsetalokinI read that 80 people were stabbed to death in London in 2017. And 2018 is already off to a good start.
    TEN TIMES that number are the victim of shootings in Chicago.

TEN TIMES.

Social Darwinism in action.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018

The US social situation is much more fragmented than that of the UK, I'm guessing.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018 edited

Posted By: AsterixThe US social situation is much more fragmented than that of the UK, I'm guessing.
    Perhaps, in part. But I suspect access to guns largely explains the difference, as Angus said:

Posted By: Angus . . . Occam's Razor seems to be telling us that the obvious difference between US and UK on access to weapons is the reason for the obvious difference in murder [rates]. . . .
    Which may include the psychological effect that possession of guns has on some people.
    Zardoz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinI read that 80 people were stabbed to death in London in 2017. And 2018 is already off to a good start.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-42534127
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-42535215

And yet it is illegal to carry such weapons in the UK. People get stabbed to death even in prisons, with such things as sharpened toothbrushes.

My point (pun intended) is that people kill people with whatever they can get their hands on. Remove guns from the equation and watch knife killings soar.

How many died in accidents with knives? How many children died because they picked up knives and pretended to be on TV? How many suicides use knives? Do you think the numbers would be higher of lower if we replaced knifes with guns?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Down here, firearm restrictions brought an increase in knife murders (quite moderate), and a big decrease in gun murders. But down here, the knife is the murderer’s preferred weapon of choice (I dare say it is in the UK as well) because most murders happen at home, somewhere near the kitchen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

'Weapon of choice' might be more like 'weapon of opportunity', which supports the idea that removing a weapon would reduce the murder rate if the remaining weapons are less efficient.
    Well, removing all the guns in the USA that are _illegally_ held by disqualified persons, and those that are improperly stored or carried, would greatly reduce the rate of gun killings as well.

If I could snap my fingers and remove all those guns, I would.

While looking at stats last night I was appalled to learn that the city in which I live, San Antonio TX, is actually ranked sixth or seventh in the nation for violent crimes on a per capita basis. And three of the top seven are in Texas: SA, Dallas and Houston. It really doesn't feel like a violent dangerous city but there seems to be more gang activity out on the west side than I thought.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokinWell, removing all the guns in the USA that are _illegally_ held by disqualified persons, and those that are improperly stored or carried, would greatly reduce the rate of gun killings as well.

The current administration is doing just that, by making more illegally-held guns legal.

...the Justice Department had issued a new definition of “fugitive” that allows more people with outstanding arrest warrants to legally buy guns. Under the revised rule, the FBI can block gun sales only to fugitives who have fled the states where their arrest warrant was issued. The change got little media coverage, though some law enforcement leaders raised concerns.
    Incomprehensibly weird, like most other things coming out of the Trumpministration.
    Simples. Keep them dumb or dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Wut? The standard way to create an entangled pair of photons is by four-wave downconversion mixing in a nonlinear crystal, so the two coming out came from the same place. You can trransfer the state to other particles but that's a different issue. Where does this 10000 c come from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

Posted By: alsetalokinRemove guns from the equation and watch knife killings soar.

That's exactly what;s happened in the UK. Most disenfranchised youths on the sink estates of England's major cities are now more likely than not to be either carrying or be within easy access of heavy duty kitchen knives.....
    Well, excellent.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: AngusWut? The standard way to create an entangled pair of photons is by four-wave downconversion mixing in a nonlinear crystal, so the two coming out came from the same place. You can trransfer the state to other particles but that's a different issue. Where does this 10000 c come from?

Now that is quite the non sequitur, even by ‘trap standards
    Especially since everything came from the same place originally anyway.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

So this is the Moletrap singularity?
    Didn't you just say that?