Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017

One could easily get bummed out at the prospect "I'll be dead before X happens." It occurs to me quite a lot these days. I find some consolation in what I may paraphrase as "angus his rule" which is: "Nothing important ever happens". The significance may take some time to sink in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Well at least you can say you lived long enough to witness the demise of liberal western democracy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

whoopee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

And you can also say that you lived long enough to witness social media rendering the fourth estate irrelevant and relegating qualified expert opinion to the fringes.

It seems to me that I am finding more and more reasons to be consoled by the fact that people I knew and cared about didn't live long enough to see X happening ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That's a point but it won't sell well among us optimists.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

What's really a bummer is that we're not likely to revisit Luna in my lifetime.

I wonder if population pressures are holding things back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The population of Luna is zero, give or take. It can't be pressure holding us pack. It must be some sort of suction.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Well, at least real estate on Luna is cheap, unlike that of Singapore, who has been buying it from Cambodia
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017

Posted By: AsterixNo, I'm a bit bummed by the thought of being dead before man sets foot on Mars. Sputnik-to-Luna didn't take that long--what, 12 years? We haven't set foot on Luna now, for what, 45 years?

Since 2010 we have sent almost as many (robotic) missions to Mars as we have to the moon. We could go back to the moon (put people on it) quite quickly (but not particularly cheaply) if we wanted but there has to be a question of what we would do (why we are doing that). We have already done the flag waving/planting bit, which appears to be what the humans are really good at. Now to keep humans there, I reckon you add a couple of zero's to the mission cost and that cost is consumed every 3-5 years. Which probably focuses peoples (politicians) minds on the question "why are we doing this?".
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017 edited

If you are aiming to travel to Mars and live there, surely it would be a good idea to do a trial tun locally and set up a Moon-Base first?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I suspect that I'll be dust before man sets foot on the moon again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: LakesIf you are aiming to travel to Mars and live there, surely it would be a good idea to do a trial tun locally and set up a Moon-Base first?

I'm not sure what you would trial that you can't on the ISS. In terms of kit, you would be silly not to use atmospheric braking on Mars but you can't do that on the moon. Any trip to Mars won't stop by the moon to say Hi, all that stuff costs energy. So other than the task of keeping people alive in space - something the ISS can do to a large extent, what is there to trial on the moon?
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: pcstruwhat is there to trial on the moon?
    Well, after thinking about it, nothing really, I just like the idea of having a Moonbase as an easier launch point for future space missions, like Asterix, I`ll be dust as well, before that ever happens.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Well, it's fun. The current job is retrieving data from 40 and 50 year old tapes. A small stack here labeled "Lunar Orbiter", some stuff from a Venus survey; a couple from Apollo 15...it's really amazing how much we were doing during the 60s and 70s.

I wish we still were, is all.
    Fascinating stuff Asterix.

Trappist - 1 Update
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Probably full of monks.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Caution - May contain monks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I hear the beer is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTime4 days ago

What's that up in the sky? A bird? A plane?

No, it's MAYAK the Russia pyramid!

http://newatlas.com/mayak-satellite-launched/50525/