Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013

Posted By: Lakes
    Posted By: TrimNS

Cosmic collisions spin stellar corpses into gold.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23886-cosmic-collisions-spin-stellar-corpses-into-gold.html

Black hole feasting may help crack four cosmic puzzles.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23885-black-hole-feasting-may-help-crack-four-cosmic-puzzles.html
    Can I have some cream to pour over my Black Hole Feast please? :D

No, sorry I used it all on my strawberries.
    Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAn external observer like ourselves sees something that approaches an event horizon take an infinite time to cross it.

If that's true, then why are black holes "black"? Particularly, the theoretical super-massive holes near the centers of galaxies, including our own..

Some of the matter they are digesting must be hot, bright shit (like a star, or luminous gas cloud, for instance). With all that incandescent matter forever ringing the edge of the EH, you'd think the black hole would shine like a thousand suns.
    I don't have a clever answer for this. I'll try and find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013

Nice
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

Thanks Andrew nice find. Still it is bound to be cancelled in the end like Bluestreak.
    I worked on that in the sixties
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

That technology boosted the French Ariane rocket to great heights.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA billion years of growth, and then what?

You name it, the universe is a dangerous place and the closer you are to stars the worse it gets. You have junk falling into gravity wells, you have gamma-ray bursters, you have molecular clouds that turn your nice blue atmosphere into a dank and foetid miasma, you have rogue berserkers and wild bolos looking to kill you and swarms of nanoformers looking for something to eat and turn into more of themselves, you have beings of pure plasma and dust who want to fuck your sexy sun.... Best just stick close to your puny planet Dirt and count your blessings.

Oh, and thanks for turning off those damned analog TV transmissions, those were really annoying the 'hood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA billion years of growth, and then what?
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/19/curiosity_sampling_suggests_mars_lost_atmosphere_early_in_life/

Sorry, but for some reason this quote made me chuckle..

The new data fits current climate models, and NASA says it's confident about the results.
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAn external observer like ourselves sees something that approaches an event horizon take an infinite time to cross it.

If that's true, then why are black holes "black"? Particularly, the theoretical super-massive holes near the centers of galaxies, including our own..

Some of the matter they are digesting must be hot, bright shit (like a star, or luminous gas cloud, for instance). With all that incandescent matter forever ringing the edge of the EH, you'd think the black hole would shine like a thousand suns.
    I don't have a clever answer for this. I'll try and find out.
    I found out
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/71497/why-does-the-event-horizon-of-a-black-hole-not-look-like-a-bright-sphere
    I'm walking the dog at twilight last night and looking at the moon and wondering why I want to go there - it's cold and airless. So I got to thinking that the first order of biz to spruce the place up would be an atmosphere. Not enough gravity to retain one, so I imagined a futuristic bubble material - transparent and self-repairing. We make loads of it - sufficient to completely encase the moon in a spherical bubble. Using chemistry based on lunar materials (chiefly, hopefully) we'd generate an atmosphere at ground level, and the bubble would expand due to the pressure differential.

First problem solved. Now how about getting in and out?

To get out, one carries a bubble behind one's craft. Arriving at the interface from below, one attaches it all around to the wall. Then the wall is punctured, the releasing air propels one into an outward trajectory, and only a small amount of air is lost.

I'm sure there are "other issues", and I'm equally sure they will be forthcoming here. By now, based on my seabed bubble for marine archaeology, you must think I have a bubble fixation. Well, not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

As I said before - nobody has ever seen Hawking radiation. We have seen radiation from accretion discs. And we believe that the radiation gets focussed into the axial jets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

@ Andrew

Sounds a bit like the Beta-atmosphere to me.
    Posted By: AngusAs I said before - nobody has ever seen Hawking radiation. We have seen radiation from accretion discs. And we believe that the radiation gets focussed into the axial jets.
    That's actually not the issue here, because we're talking about mundane electromagnetic radiation due to infalling hot matter
    Posted By: Grimer@ Andrew

No idea what you mean; sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AngusAs I said before - nobody has ever seen Hawking radiation. We have seen radiation from accretion discs. And we believe that the radiation gets focussed into the axial jets.
    That's actually not the issue here, because we're talking about mundane electromagnetic radiation due to infalling hot matter

I.e: radiation from accretion discs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You have a fun read ahead of you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: Angus

You have a fun read ahead of you!

Yes he has - and his videoed interview shows that he has the necessary intelligence and imagination to understand them as well - which is more than I can say for many members of this forum who seem very deficient in those qualities as far as properties of materials are concerned.