Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013

BBC

Flying car technology is turning a dream into reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24635758
    Into reality Soon
    As a licenced commercial pilot, former glider flight instructor, with over 2000 hours of PIC time in airplanes and gliders, I have one thing to say: This is an utterly stupid idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013

As a pedestrian who might be at a lower altitude than the flying car, I agree.
    As a former licenced pilot and engineer, I can say that this will never happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

As a former Steorn forum member, I can sell you a car swatter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But just think of the job openings for Air Traffic Controllers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Push button flying only, if your GPS system doesn't know about the new Chinese Skyscraper they built in two weeks then oops.
    Yup. Fully auto or nothing.
    Now let's watch that again with an untrained housewife or elderly non-pilot at the controls.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNow let's watch that again with an untrained housewife or elderly non-pilot at the controls.

Don't you know the story?

There was a fully qualified test pilot at the controls, but the aeroplane didn't do what he commanded it to do, it had its own ideas.

Amazingly, he survived along with most of the passengers (not a full load, just some joyriding journos and publicists.)
    I think you understand the point about civilians in flying vehicles.

Pity about that computer glitch. They will never go away - they asymptote of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2013 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThey will never go away - they asymptote of course.

Not quite. The flight in the clip definitely converged.

(But AF447 had no computer "glitch". It performed exactly as designed and programmed, and it did what every other airplane does when you hold the stick fully back for three minutes. Except of course that the computers kept it from spinning, so it just mushed instead.)
    Sounds simple enough. Full auto - engineerable for everyone?
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013

Serve me up some Full Auto, and be quick about it! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014

I don't think we've seen this conceptual CGI video yet. Seems like fun if some way can be found to provide a megawatt (that's what they say) for enough time. It seems to be turbine/electric maybe. I bet in vertical flight, such a thing would go through fuel fast than an afterburner.
    Posted By: maryyugoI don't think we've seen this conceptual CGI video yet. Seems like fun if some way can be found to provide a megawatt (that's what they say) for enough time. It seems to be turbine/electric maybe. I bet in vertical flight, such a thing would go through fuel fast than an afterburner.

I don't think we are seeing it, even now.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014

The pink unicorns stole it, (damn those pesky pinkies) :)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited

Bah humbug it's just a new cgi video from the same terrafuggia folks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgsyYotLkQ

Don't drink and post.