Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013

Made me think of this :)
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Damn you!!! Now you've caused my intense phobia of balloons to resurface.
    Just add clowns
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Aaack!!! The horror of Bozo returns!!! Make it stop!!!
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013

Attack of the Balloon Clowns - Laugh or Die! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFD5rsknSk

Be afraid, be very afraid....
    Very cool. Oddly enough, about an hour ago I was wondering how to deal with a problem that I know we both have, namely the regular scooping of dog shit from our back yards.

The first idea was to find an animal that liked to eat it and then buggered off and shat elsewhere. But I don't think there's any such beast. Perhaps make it squirrel-attractant flavour via food additives, harmless to the dog? Sounds difficult and dangerous.

Then there's a robot. Minimum 3 legs, better 4 for stability while walking, long spindly legs, a knee joint so it can squat and collect. A camera and poop recognition system.......
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Just do it. I do. It's an interesting problem.

We are down to three dogs. A healthy dog shits three times a day, and if you feed them high-quality dry kibble as primary diet the stool mass will actually be minimized, but still thrice daily. The condition of the stool is a good monitor of the dog's general health and well being, too.

So I keep a covered bucket in the back yard, double-bagged inside. I have an old posthole shovel and another dirtshovel head with no handle. I carry the latter in my left hand, the former in the right hand, and perform the obvious action therewith when I spy a dogpile. Since I know how long it has been since the last time (one day usually, for reasons that will sooon become clear) and I know how many dogs and how often they shit, I know how many dogpiles to expect. Treading carefully, I follow a semi-heuristic path around the backyard, performing the actions with the shovel, and counting. Periodically I must "return to base" as it were and unfill the dirt shovel's load into the bucket. When I am satisfied as to the count, I put the tools away, make sure the bucket is covered and proceed to play with the dogs for a few minutes.

I have learned much from this daily exercise. The first thing is that if you miss a day, you now have 2 days x n(dog) x 3 piles/day to find and carry. Miss three days.... well, I'm sure you can do the math.

The next thing I have learned is that the most likely time to step in a pile of dogshit is just after you have put the tools away and think you are done.

The third thing I learned is that remarkably interesting and weird things grow in a weekold covered bucket three quarters full of dogshit.

The fourth thing is that there is a species of dung beetle adapted specifically to every larger animal's dung or feces. That's a lot of different species of dung beetles.

And it is due to the tireless action of dung beetles that we are not neck-deep in shit of all kinds.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanVery cool. Oddly enough, about an hour ago I was wondering how to deal with a problem that I know we both have, namely the regular scooping of dog shit from our back yards.

The first idea was to find an animal that liked to eat it and then buggered off and shat elsewhere. But I don't think there's any such beast. Perhaps make it squirrel-attractant flavour via food additives, harmless to the dog? Sounds difficult and dangerous.

Then there's a robot. Minimum 3 legs, better 4 for stability while walking, long spindly legs, a knee joint so it can squat and collect. A camera and poop recognition system.......

Sheeesh. Rotating bridge abutment energy storage schemes and now this.. and you think I'M crazy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

+5
    Someone here allergic to robots?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Me roo-bots rule OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe first idea was to find an animal that liked to eat it and then buggered off and shat elsewhere.
    Your neighbour's dog?
    • CommentAuthortinker

Selective breeding of ever bigger dung beetles would seem to be more efficient. And teaching them how to use a wheelbarrow.
    Until they eat the children...
    • CommentAuthortinker

Are children made from dung?
    slugs and snails and...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Starving dogs will eat faeces so buy a dog starve it and train it to poop in your neighbours garden.
    My robot idea is looking better and better