Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Posted By: maryyugoBTW, Lexus (a division of Toyota) should spend their time and resources on other things. For example, the terrible "Entune" entertainment and nav systems. I love my new Camry XLE Hybrid but I hate Entune. The displays are complex and extremely distracting under way, the computer is very slow, voice control almost never gets it right and takes forever to react and finally, on one occasion, the entire system froze up under way. I was concerned enough to stop and "cold boot" it (shut power off to the car and restart). But restarting took several tries. Scary. The car is wonderful but extremely complex and filled with sensors and systems.

I don't think I've ever turned on the radio/CD Player/Entertainment system on my Toyota. I consider the sound to be distracting from the task at hand.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited

Yeah, man. Groovy!

(Virtual Insurance against the photoshopped paint scratches below is going to be expensive.)
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017 edited

Posted By: AsterixI don't think I've ever turned on the radio/CD Player/Entertainment system on my Toyota. I consider the sound to be distracting from the task at hand.
    On my Toy, it includes a navigation system that picks routes pretty well, incorporates HD radio traffic info, and can be updated with a tiny flash card. Problem is the display which, compared to say, a Garmin or Waze, is very confusing and cluttered. Another good thing about Entune is that when I connect my iPhone Entune app via bluetooth, I can pull up a local weather radar map with one press as well as many other options I have not yet explored. The manuals total over 500 pages. It's sort of fun to have Entune's nav system and Waze on the iPhone up at once and see how they differ in routing and instructions when you're headed to some place unfamiliar.

On long trips, music and news (including CNN, MSNBC and FOX) are nice. I can also pull up an app on the iPhone that listens to some of the local air traffic control channels and plays it via the bluetooth on the car's audio system. I couldn't find marine VHF scanners yet.

The car has a package of three small radars and several cameras which allow for adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warnings and rear cross track traffic alarm in reverse. All are helpful at times but if systems like these will form the basis for self driving cars, we will be in real trouble. They all have serious limitations. The forward looking radar rarely but definitely misidentifies some situations (some curves, ramps, merging traffic for example) and does the wrong thing and the rear cross track alarm misses targets, especially people and bicycles at times. Still, these are fun toys as long as you remember to always drive the car first.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Uber car not at fault. A human driver probably couldn't have avoided the collision either.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

And this is weird and I would not like it:

http://bgr.com/2016/04/05/tesla-model-3-dashboard-design-instrument-cluster/

Some wag posted this:

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That won't please the geeks who want to see Starship Enterprise.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: maryyugoOn my Toy, it includes a navigation system that picks routes pretty well, incorporates HD radio traffic info, and can be updated with a tiny flash card. Problem is the display which, compared to say, a Garmin or Waze, is very confusing and cluttered. Another good thing about Entune is that when I connect my iPhone Entune app via bluetooth, I can pull up a local weather radar map with one press as well as many other options I have not yet explored. The manuals total over 500 pages. It's sort of fun to have Entune's nav system and Waze on the iPhone up at once and see how they differ in routing and instructions when you're headed to some place unfamiliar.

On mine, the display is almost always set to display fuel economy. The navigation dims when you're in motion, so it's pretty much useless unless you pull off to the side of the road to use it. And then you might was well use something a little handier, such as a map, laptop or GPS navigator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I like to set it to show what is driving what.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: AsterixOn mine, the display is almost always set to display fuel economy. The navigation dims when you're in motion, so it's pretty much useless unless you pull off to the side of the road to use it. And then you might was well use something a little handier, such as a map, laptop or GPS navigator.
    US model? My NAV display doesn't dim while driving and it's pretty visible except in bright sun bearing directly on it. It does clash with my polarized sunglasses though -- the planes are completely crossed and I can't see it at all through them.

If your display dims underway, maybe there is a software or other bug or malfunction? I mean why (oh why!) would it do that?

Asterix and Angus-- you have hybrid Toyotas? I am guessing Ang's is Canada-ican.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

My BMW X3 has a HUD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugoAsterix and Angus-- you have hybrid Toyotas? I am guessing Ang's is Canada-ican.

Highlander hybrid. Used to have a Prius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugoAng's is Canada-ican.

Hmmm.... we generally say "Canadian". So does everybody else.

But it gives me an idea. Ever since the first years of moletrap we have been without a proper demonym for those people who find themselves to be citizens of the United States of America. I invited suggestions, but none were forthcoming, and in the end I proposed "USans", which has become more or less a moletrap tradition.

To remind those who never knew it, the problem is that the term "American" would logically refer to someone from "America", which would be the New World continents of North and South America. A Brazilian or a Mexican is just as much an American as somebody from the US. If the term were to be used only for the USans, then it leaves the rest of us, Peruvians, Guatemalans, Canadians, without a term parallel to "European", "Asian", "Australian" (they're lucky, they can use it twice) and now even "Zealandian".

But "USan" has never been to everybody's taste. So I now propose humbly, for the consideration of the trappers, that USans be granted the more dignified demonym

"Amerians".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

USAins?

USers?

USish?

USAegians?

USic People?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell