Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbloodymedia
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited

Since some electronic components are only available in surface mount packages I decided to equip my lab with appropriate tools. My first project is an SMD soldering oven. So I bought a cheap pizza oven for 10€ and developed circuits for sensing and controlling the temperature for soldering.

Just finished the PCBs:

On the left is the Control PCB with a rotary encoder and a 2x8 character display.
    The right PCB carries two solid state relays and an 16 bit ADC for two platinum PT1000 temperature sensors.
    This PCB will be stacked on top of the microcontroller board which has USB, serial and TCP/IP connectors and an SD card slot for data logging. The board is Arduino compatible, which makes programming very easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited

Certainly looks a lot nicer than the last PCB I made.

What is that? Looks like a Joule Thief lamp.

Professional layout software is a good thing. I used a free version of Target 3001. It is almost unlimited in functionality but you can't export to Gerber or DXF. PDF printing works fine though.
    Yep, that's what it is, a 4LED JT that runs on a single button cell LR3.

I'm far too lazy to use real layout software, although I admire people who do use it. Your boards are beautiful, it's a shame to mess them up with solder and those ugly component things.

Meanwhile, this Electric Lollypop looks like the very next craze. Look, it's Arduino-powered, and the construction technique could be right out of TKLabs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26487218

"Here, you wanna try my electric lollypop? Just stick your tongue in here...."
    I've actually been thinking of making a similar oven of my own. What kind of Pizza oven are you using, and how are you going to modify it, besides the controller system?
    Posted By: alsetalokin"Here, you wanna try my electric lollypop? Just stick your tongue in here...."

Not sure if that is really a good idea but I'll try it with some random person on the street tomorrow ;)

Well - the next craze - I don't think so. It's a nice experiment but I can't think of useful applications at the moment.

BTW, has there been any progress with 'olfactoric TV' lately? As a TV mechanic apprentice some decades ago we were joking about what you wouldn't like to smell in some movies ...
    Posted By: alsetalokinYour boards are beautiful, it's a shame to mess them up with solder and those ugly component things.

That's why I made two sets of them so I can put one set in a picture frame ;)
    No, I fucked up the first one because the developer was too weak. After 30 minutes in the etching fluid I developed it again but it was too late because the edges of the copper were damaged.

I like the color of the surface. That is a normal photo sensitive coating but I exposed and developed it a second time with a solder mask and then baked it at 180° for 30 minutes. The color then turns from light green to that nice brownish red and it is resistant against flux remover and alcohol after that procedure.
    Posted By: alsetalokin"Here, you wanna try my electric lollypop? Just stick your tongue in here...."
    This could be huge. One could basically simulate hugely expensive gourmet meals using textural surrogates costing a fraction of the simulated food. But they need to get the nose involved too. That done, the best wines and basically anything fine that can be eaten or drunk is fair game. The rest is software.
    There's supposed to be a 5th taste now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014

Ooooh! mammy!

Really?
    Posted By: AngusOoooh! mammy!

Really?

That does not meat my taste exactly.
    • CommentAuthorcwatters
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014

Just finished making this mirror. Waiting for some oak to make a pair of tables next.

Very very elegant. I like the square shaped dowels or plugs at the joints.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014 edited

A drawer, wine rack, some shelves and ... other kitchen bits.

Posted By: AngusOoooh! mammy!

Really?

I don't think he got it.
    Nicely hewn!
    The tongue map in which different tastes are distributed in different regions of the tongue is a common misconception
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014

Posted By: bloodymediaWhat is that? Looks like a Joule Thief lamp.

Professional layout software is a good thing. I used a free version of Target 3001. It is almost unlimited in functionality but you can't export to Gerber or DXF. PDF printing works fine though.
    I think PCB Artist puts out Gerbers and is free. But I may be mistaken.
    I just downloaded and installed Eagle. It's pretty intimidating but sure looks good.