Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

There +is+ justice after all.
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014 edited

In case you wonder what my opinion is on this subject as a Spaniard, I'm always on the bulls' side.

I found bullfighting disgusting the first time I saw them, when I was a kid, and still do.

Yet, I find some of the points made by the people who hate bullfighting are (bull)shit, but that's probably another story.

(edited for readability)
    I agree with both of you. Manhood rituals will have to find other methods. I recommend the bullet ant cuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

Took me a minute there. Surely you mean "Buller ant". I met someone who was bitten by one last month. She said it hurt for a while. After a bit she stopped wanting to cut her leg off.
    The pain caused by this insect's sting is purported to be greater than that of any other hymenopteran, and is ranked as the most painful according to the Schmidt sting pain index, given a "4+" rating, above the tarantula hawk wasp and, according to some victims, equal to being shot, hence the name of the insect. It is described as causing "waves of burning, throbbing, all-consuming pain that continues unabated for up to 24 hours".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_ant

Initiation rites

The Satere-Mawe people of Brazil use intentional bullet ant stings as part of their initiation rites to become a warrior.[7] The ants are first rendered unconscious by submerging them in a natural sedative, and then hundreds of them are woven into a glove made of leaves (which resembles a large oven mitt), stingers facing inward. When the ants regain consciousness, a boy slips the glove onto his hand. The goal of this initiation rite is to keep the glove on for a full 10 minutes. When finished, the boy's hand and part of his arm are temporarily paralyzed because of the ant venom, and he may shake uncontrollably for days. The only "protection" provided is a coating of charcoal on the hands, supposedly to confuse the ants and inhibit their stinging. To fully complete the initiation, however, the boys must go through the ordeal a total of 20 times over the course of several months or even years. [
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014

This is what happens to people who don't waste their time on the interwebs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014 edited

I think the person I was talking to was bit by one of the Myrmecia, not the Nicaraguan bullet ant.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018 edited

Strange as it may seem, Washington is the first (and thus far, only) state with comprehensive rules against bias in jury selection:

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/washington-first-state-adopt-comprehensive-anti-bias-rule-jury-selection

I'll be dead by the time Alabama enacts the same.
    Good ole boys never die.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018

We have the same problem here, and a similar solution is being enacted.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018 edited

SA Mining companies reach $400M settlement with miner over silicosis

Cheap. One only has to ask how many upper-level executives of these companies have contracted silicosis.

Well, the victims are poorly-paid blacks, so no matter.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24397231
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019 edited

Guantanamo, 18 years after...

They were first charged in 2008 and the military commission proceedings began in 2012. The accused are growing old, some of the witnesses have died and the trial is still a year off, at least...

...there are still 40 prisoners left. Only 12 of those have been charged, or soon will be. The rest are stuck in indefinite detention, including five who have been formally cleared but have not been released.

Ref.