Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017

Marvellous aren't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017

There's that "could" again. The described activities were ready for initial deployment decades ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

AXA Sail to Jupiter’s Trojan Asteroids.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=37322
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017 edited

It must be far more frustrating for Buzz than it is for you and me
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017

I still like his cycler idea.
    As well you should. It has a broader scope than simply "getting to Mars". Musk has made no bones about the fact that he views SpaceX as simply the bus company. It's up to others to flesh that out into a viable social concept. Like staying alive on Mars :/

If I were running this show I'd be pouring resources into autonomous construction on the Moon using AI and robotics and new manufacturing techniques. Until that can be done, Mars isn't viable for humans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017

I agree we haven't explored the Martian moons yet, it might be possible to turn at least one into a fuelling station using local resources like Mars direct planned to.

Would make it easier to land on Mars as parachutes are so limited.

I still think Venus is viable as well but it needs a few asteroids orbiting around it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017

Considering what is going on in the largest economy in the world, soon to be brought to you by King Coal, it might be worthwhile concentrating on keeping Earth viable so that we can reasonably expect to be here long enough to develop the ability to alter somewhere else.
    [@Trim: Earth's Moon is what I referred to]
    Old King Coal was a very arsehole
    And a very arsehole was he.

This is new usage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Cheaper acess to space is needed plus more efficient ways to land on the moon.

Small so called electro gliders could be cheaply developed to hover above asteroids to discover what they contain, even types of clay can be very useful.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime7 days ago

We need coal-powered SSTs.

At least that's what Trump would think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Methane would not be able to do SSTO so coal would have to be converted to hydrogen.

Or coal could be used to generate electricity and that could be used for Andrew's Startram.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Somewhat old.

ROCKET SCIENCEHitting the brakes at Alpha Centauri.

http://www.spacedaily.com/m/reports/Hitting_the_brakes_at_Alpha_Centauri_999.html
    Interplanetary coal power! Evans The Shovel first man on Mars!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime6 days ago

March 20, 2017

Spacex Dragon returns with 5400 pounds of samples from the space station.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/03/spacex-dragon-returns-with-5400-pounds.html
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Posted By: TrimMarch 20, 2017

Spacex Dragon returns with 5400 pounds of samples from the space station.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/03/spacex-dragon-returns-with-5400-pounds.html

I don't get it--isn't the source of these samples terrestrial?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime6 days ago

They ought to dry out the pooh up there, it makes quite a good radiation barrier as Andrew will explain to you if you are interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited