Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017 edited

If the mirrors can contain something like boron then launching the collection craft first which would use most of it fuel plus some odd collectable stuff picked up initially to get it near to speed of 5%, then collecting more fuel for storage as it goes along that was travelling faster would also increase its speed so that it or a fully fueled stage off it, could slow down on arrival.

Still eighty years of traveling is a bit much even for Angus.
    This reads like gibberish. Sorry. How were you intending to get a tons-mass class of ship up to 5%c, for example?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

Depends on the then prevalent technology.

Fusion at least is needed, the large craft could itself be built with boron, if that is doable, the craft could be multi stage consuming it self as it goes along, like the Cheshire cat.

The craft could also at the start, add on to itself and grow by scooping.

The craft at arrival would be at a fraction of its largest size.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanProxima Mission: Fine-Tuning the Photogravitational Assist
    Wonderfuller and wonderfuller.
    I read the linked preprint at arXiv.
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.03871
    This is one of the most exciting papers on space travel I've ever read. The fact that I'm able to read about intragalactic navigation on timescales comparable to a human lifetime is rather wonderful.

Making monatomic graphene sheets highly reflective might just be a question of some creative doping, or perhaps an additional metamaterial layer. Since the trip time scales as the square root of the areal mass density, I don't foresee tremendous damage being done to the broad conclusions of the paper as a result of this extra complexity.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe fact that I'm able to read about intergalactic navigation on timescales comparable to a human lifetime is rather wonderful.

I haven't read it yet. But intragalactic, shirley?
    Oops - good catch (and corrected)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017

The idea of swarms of micro/mini sun sailers is quite frightening as well as exciting, imagine nanites on them that can morph into different things depending what is available to them and give them the ability to travel to other stars, then you don't just get grey goo on one planet but the entire galaxy.

Could be mankind's finest achievement and our last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

... as prisons ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017 edited

Prison mining colonies.

Up until very recently in China you were sent off to the quarries after your Ph.D. so as not to lose connection with the working man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

1976 is "very recent" only if you are an old codger like myself.
    Let's say "one generation ago" then
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Air Force's mysterious X-37B space plane reaches a record 700 days in orbit (but we STILL don't know its mission)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4426200/Air-Force-s-X-37B-space-plane-reaches-700-days-orbit.html

Lets hope it has a test Emdrive on board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017

Maybe that's the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017

Watch "Reusable Rockets & Metallic Hydrogen" on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/WPh2jUKTKCA
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

ya think?????????????