Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Are the people nice there? How are the beaches?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Great along the lava tubes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime5 days ago

I think this is taking groping a bit far.

Japan sets date for asteroid 'rock grab'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47159214
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

Posted By: alsetalokinAre the people nice there? How are the beaches?
    The people? Salt of the moon. There are a few terratics that kick off every time there is a full Earth though. That Japanese guy, Kaguya, was the first to experience a full Earth from the near side of the moon at that precise moment when the sun was completely illuminating the far side of the moon, and he hasn’t been the same since then. Understandable, perhaps, when you consider that the Earth, at that moment, appeared to him to be 13 times larger, 3.4 times more reflective and a total of 43 times brighter than the full Moon normally appears from Earth.
    Posted By: TrimGreat along the lava tubes.

I dunno, people are saying the place is a dump, it's too cold and dark, or maybe too hot and sunny. Maybe we can get it for a song, hold onto it for a while, fix it up a little, you know, new gold toilets and stuff, and then flip it and make a big profit. My gut tells me the Chinese are coming into the market bigly.

Or maybe it's the Kung Pao Chicken from last night, I dunno.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime5 days ago

The crater trains are a bit annoying, you just go round and round and boy do you feel heavy, you might as well be back on earth.

At least there you could work here in the comfort of your own bedroom via telepresence.

Trust me to get high and not look at the new contract.
    Contract, what contract? What we are talking about here is more like an informal letter of intent to consider buying an option to licence the name, you know, contingent upon obtaining sufficient financing to cover the overhead, which to be honest is gonna be huuuge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Posted By: alsetalokinwhich to be honest is gonna be huuuge.

It is bad style to follow "to be honest" with a true statement.
    Unless you cap the sentence with "Believe me"
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime5 days ago

To be perfectly frank.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Does anyone know how fast NASA's proposed gateway will be orbiting the moon?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTime3 days ago edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanBye Bye
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220153/mars-one-bankruptcy-bas-lansdorp-human-settlement

I hope that stupid Branson guy is the next. Space tourism...
    Posted By: TrimDoes anyone know how fast NASA's proposed gateway will be orbiting the moon?
    Numbskull idea. Don't care. 20 rpm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Zubrin dislikes it and on the face of it, it is somewhat daft but I am thinking of a dangler tether.

If a land vehicle on earth, with its dense atmosphere, can travel at a 1,000 mph then shirley, provided the surface is properly prepared (smoothed) a ground vehicle on the moon can do at least that, especially with external power beaming?

So if you have a somewhat large structure orbiting the moon at a 1,000 mph then, in theory, you could dangle a tether from it (no rotation needed) to the moving ground vehicle and place a package on it, you could also lift an equivalent weight package off it when you lift or lower the package a counterweight should go up and down from the orbital structure to keep it in balance..

Should work out quicker and more economical to build than the mass driver and allow material to be imported and exported from the moon, starting off fairly small scale (a few tons) but as the tether is strengthened and the orbital structure massed up a few hundred tons should be doable.

Indeed more orbital structures and tethers could be built mainly from lunar material.

Nasa's proposed gateway could indeed be the gateway to the solar system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime2 days ago

A similar system could also allow people to travel from bases at the lunar poles to the opposite one just need to get lifted over any mountains.
    Might as well just build a bridge. The main problem is that the abutments keep moving around. We've already stopped the Moon so that's no problem. As soon as we stop the Earth, so that the same faces of both abutments keep facing each other, we can start building the bridge proper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime2 days ago

It might be easier to build the smooth lunar road by laying down layers of dust in a strip first and then fusing them together, there is, of course, plenty of solar energy on the moon and loads of dust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime2 days ago

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Elon Musk and Others Plan the Details for a City on Mars.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/02/elon-musk-and-others-plan-the-details-for-a-city-on-mars .html