Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Cut out the landing altogether, give all the passengers parachutes, fun for all he family!

Mid-air refuelling, but maintenance could be a bit tricky... :)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime1 day ago

It's been tried--I believe they called it a dirigible.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTime10 hours ago

You mean the Huge Manatee?
    •  
      CommentAuthorxurt
    • CommentTime9 hours ago edited

Posted By: alsetalokinCircular runways: Engineer defends his proposal

Nothing new. This is from 1919:

And this from 1964:

And this project for Paris-Orly from the end of 1940's is similar, and perhaps slightly more realistic:

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime8 hours ago edited

Makes crosswind landings just that much more interesting.
    (At best, you have to decide which part of the landing is going to be crosswind.)
    That, I thought, was the entire point of the thing (the real estate savings being a bonus).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime8 hours ago

I don't like it. If crosswind, better allee same same all the way down.
    Your entire approach will be directly into the wind. Only after touchdown will that vector rotate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime7 hours ago

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanYour entire approach will be directly into the wind. Only after touchdown will that vector rotate.

And that makes no difference?
    wot?
    I'd much rather deal with strong crosswind once the wheels are firmly on the ground.

Now there is one disadvantage that's been pointed out for a circular runway, and that's the ground clearance of the wingtips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime6 hours ago

Certainly. Also, if your approach is always guaranteed to be upwind then most of the circular runway is just a waste of space.
    wot?
    After touchdown the runway will be used to any extent desired. And when the wind shifts, other parts of it come into play.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanYour entire approach will be directly into the wind. Only after touchdown will that vector rotate.

Yes, and only at and after touchdown (and before liftoff) does the wind relative to the ground cause problems with aeroplanes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime6 hours ago

Given the difficulty of the bank and the fact that only one approach is usable to the whole ring, why is it better than a second runway?
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanwot?
    I'd much rather deal with strong crosswind once the wheels are firmly on the ground.

Now there is one disadvantage that's been pointed out for a circular runway, and that's the ground clearance of the wingtips.

There are other problems as well. For example, the turn radius of an aircraft depends not only on bank angle but also on airspeed. At a given bank angle the turn radius of , say, a fighter jet with an approach speed of 180 knots will be significantly greater than that of, say, a light twin approaching at 100 knots. The fighter jet will have to bank much more steeply to match the radius of the circular runway than will the light twin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTime6 hours ago

I am assuming that your upwind approach would be level and tangent to the runway. Then the limit is just the combination of the runway bank angle and the details of tbe airframe, like when the wingtips drag. If you really have to make a banked approach I tbink it would be even worse.
    Posted By: AngusGiven the difficulty of the bank and the fact that only one approach is usable to the whole ring, why is it better than a second runway?
    Two approaches in fact, corresponding to the two rotation directions around the runway and assuming there's nobody else using it in the opposite direction.
    Posted By: alsetalokinYes, and only at and after touchdown (and before liftoff) does the wind relative to the ground cause problems with aeroplanes.
    wot?
    The difficulties with crosswind landings are at their most vexing during the landing. Again, this is one of the reasons for a circular runway.
    Posted By: alsetalokinThere are other problems as well. For example, the turn radius of an aircraft depends not only on bank angle but also on airspeed. At a given bank angle the turn radius of , say, a fighter jet with an approach speed of 180 knots will be significantly greater than that of, say, a light twin approaching at 100 knots. The fighter jet will have to bank much more steeply to match the radius of the circular runway than will the light twin.
    This is a design that does not lend itself well to vastly different landing speeds, since the radius and the bank are fixed.
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: alsetalokinYes, and only at and after touchdown (and before liftoff) does the wind relative to the ground cause problems with aeroplanes.
    wot?
    The difficulties with crosswind landings are at their most vexing during the landing. Again, this is one of the reasons for a circular runway.

You can be quite amusing, you know!