Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2018

Hmm...I have never been a huge fan of the Quebec brewing tradition. I rather prefer what is going on here in the west. If you want strong beer, there's stuff like this. But I think that's just marketing and ignorance. I got into a heated discussion with a clerk in the liquor store the other day about why nobody makes a decent 3% mild ale you can drink by the pint all night while you play darts in the pub. I guess it's because we don't have any decent pubs. Except maybe AP's one.
    now you're making me thirsty
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2018 edited

Posted By: magic momentDJ actually played the 7 against KJU.
    Yes, I agree. Trump actually did real and lasting damage to important strategic and valuable economic alliances in order to be able to showboat for some little dictator. How many US jobs will the meaningless photo op cost? Next he will drop the sanctions in return for an official end to a war that actually ended 65 years ago and Kim’s smiles will be even broader in those photos.

What a player! A few nice sets of photos and some commemorative coins and all this will have cost him are the most valuable and strategically important alliances that the USA has, the USA’s position as a global leader, the USA’s reputation and credibility, and many, many US jobs. China and Russia will be pleased. They would never have imagined that their relationship with North Korea would have turned out to have been such a valuable asset.

Meanwhile, the message to Iran and to others couldn’t be clearer: get nukes. Do it now. As quickly as possible. By any means necessary. There is no higher priority. If you manage to get nukes, then the USA will bend over backwards to ingratiate itself for you, spit in the eyes of its friends and allies and kiss your ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I guess that's right. Of the countries involved in the initial work on the A-bomb, Canada was the only one not to pursue a weapon for itself. And look where that's got us.

We should never have given them all that Uranium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Making a Monster Stronger

What happened on Monday in Singapore was a disgrace. What was billed as a summit designed to secure a negotiated end to the crisis on the Korean Peninsula—a crisis that the North Korean regime alone inaugurated and aggravates—became Kim Jong-un’s coming-out party.

Kim arrived in Singapore to great fanfare; paparazzi snapped his picture and onlookers called his name like he was a boyband heartthrob. The man who murdered his half-brother, uncle, and ex-girlfriend, among scores more, took selfies with democratic figures and toured the town before the main event: a meeting with the leader of the free world.

Donald Trump, the legitimately elected president of the world’s most powerful free republic, beamed as he pressed the flesh with the warden of the world’s largest prison—a country with an annual GDP comparable to that of Eugene, Oregon. They dined together on short rib confit and soy-braised codfish—a Korean favorite, in deference to Kim. Trump said it was “my honor” to greet Kim, who is a “very talented man.” “We have a terrific relationship,” he added. They took photographs before a backdrop of American and North Korean flags. It was a scene suggestive of a relationship between equals, which is something Americans with a cursory understanding of history and a functioning moral compass have previously denied the Kim dynasty.

This whole affair ratified Barack Obama’s efforts to bury the U.S. concern for human rights under a mountain of moral equivalencies. It sacrificed America’s pursuit of concrete security guarantees from rogue actors to the cowardice that masquerades as realism. North Korea isn’t just another dictatorship; it is not Turkmenistan or Eritrea. It is a unique horror. The victory North Korea won at the negotiating table is the product of a narcissism that Obama and Trump share. It is a narcissism that views the status quo, which was forged and maintained by political, diplomatic, and military professionals over the course of 70 years, as a failure rather than a success. After all, if this were only about the utilitarian work of neutralizing a threat, the president would avoid the appearance of triumphalism. He and his allies have done just the opposite.
    Now I'm _really_ thirsty.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTime5 days ago

“Mrs. Trump [Melania] hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform," according to a statement from her spokeswoman. "She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Deep Learning is the String Theory of AI. It might not be the right way to go, but you had better work on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

Better make sure there's a fail-safe OFF switch in there somewhere.

Most of the consumer electronics stuff we buy today doesn't even _have_ a hard power switch. It's always on, waiting, watching, listening.... Beware, your clothes dryer may someday decide you are damaging clothes by wearing them....
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

That--the lack of a hard power switch--has bothered me for a long time. Used to be that even on desktop computer power supplies that there was a switch mounted on the power supply. No more.

But how much can a simple power switch cost?

Thankfully, that hasn't yet infested the area of power tools. Having a table saw with a "soft" IOT-connected power switch would scare the dickens out of me.
    One wonders if the Mueller investigation will function as an OFF switch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime1 day ago

The Mueller investigation will not significantly damage Trump.
    I just replaced the PSU in my desktop with a new more powerful unit. It does have a hard power switch.
    (Thermaltake Smart 500W)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTime1 day ago

I wonder if this is now an EU requirement. Wouldn't surprise me.