Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2018 edited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcGZ9Hckew
    Chevy, Audi, Porsche --- pwned. Well done Tesla.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2019

It's all about pwneding.
    The entire auto industry has been caught with its pants down.
    The trucking industry is next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2019

Worse. It was suicide by conspiracy. See "Who Killed the Electric Car" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037
    Yabut not just the USA. Everyone, including Germany.
    And now the demand for gasoline will go down... so of course the cost will go up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

With a glut, the wholesale price should go down, however.
    Posted By: alsetalokinAnd now the demand for gasoline will go down... so of course the cost will go up.
    Starting to see the bright side.

But whatever happened to "can't give it away"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd now the demand for gasoline will go down... so of course the cost will go up.

That's not how markets are supposed to work, Shirley!
    No, you've fallen for the main Myth of Econ 101, the "law of supply and demand." But the suppliers, too big to fail, have to maintain their incomes, so when demand falls off they have to raise prices in order to keep the money coming in at the same rate. They can get away with this because, to borrow a term from that same E101, the remaining petroleum is nonfungible. When everybody who _can_ has kicked the petroleum habit, the suppliers can charge whatever they like to the remaining customers who _cannot_ switch to some other energy source for whatever reason.

It's the "TTC" model. The Toronto Transit System found that ridership was dropping off, so in order to maintain their income they raised the cost of a ride. Several times over the course of my sojourn in Canada this happened. Pretty soon only the peoniest peons were riding the bus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ah yes, but monopolies do not operate in markets.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinNo, you've fallen for the main Myth of Econ 101, the "law of supply and demand." But the suppliers, too big to fail,

Well, they are mainly nation states, such as Venezuela, who have clearly shown they are not "too big to fail". Saudi Arabia are already scrambling to diversify from oil as they know the writing is on the wall.

What might happen, is that the big boys actually push prices down as this makes the alternatives less cost effective.

It's the "TTC" model. The Toronto Transit System found that ridership was dropping off, so in order to maintain their income they raised the cost of a ride. Several times over the course of my sojourn in Canada this happened. Pretty soon only the peoniest peons were riding the bus.

That's a subsidised monopoly, so I'm not sure it has any equivalence. If it were privately organised, they would have just got rid of all the non-profitable routes - which the state couldn't do, so has to cover it with cost increases/subsidy reductions.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

A lot of US companies went underwater when competition used cheap offshore labor. The question for Tesla is can they make Chinese Teslas cheaper than their competition?

What's the range of a Model 3 in the wintertime in Duluth with the heater on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And what about Fort MacMurray where they would have an opportunity to impress the competition?
    Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: alsetalokinNo, you've fallen for the main Myth of Econ 101, the "law of supply and demand." But the suppliers, too big to fail,

Well, they are mainly nation states, such as Venezuela, who have clearly shown they are not "too big to fail". Saudi Arabia are already scrambling to diversify from oil as they know the writing is on the wall.

What might happen, is that the big boys actually push pricesdownas this makes the alternatives less cost effective.

That's a subsidised monopoly, so I'm not sure it has any equivalence. If it were privately organised, they would have just got rid of all the non-profitable routes - which the state couldn't do, so has to cover it with cost increases/subsidy reductions.

You think oil companies are not state-subsidized monopolies? Venezuela and Saudi Arabia have non-state-subsidized oil industries? Well I guess it's a question of who subsidizes whom. Do the oil producers keep the government propped up or the other way round? Either way, the TTC model fits perfectly. The prices get raised when demand goes down _and_ non-profitable "routes" will get shut down. There may come a day when you can't buy petrol in Fort MacMurray at all because it costs too much to get it there and nobody will buy it -- so until they make electric snowmobiles, an entire culture will have to move to the city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That will be ironic, since Fort MacMurray is the city where the Alberta oil sands activity is based.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I imagine that diesel is quite popular there.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

You know, I've often wondered whether we've kept on with oil and petroleum because a certain sort of person likes to have their hands dirty.