Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: GrimerWhen I get the copy I've ordered from Amazon I'll find the passage which refers to A equalling B.

Just tell me what A and B are and I'll work it out myself.

I'll wait till I get the book, thanks.

Otherwise if I get it a bit wrong, being a perfectionist you will jump on me with both feet.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

A is A.
    I thought that was decided some time ago.

Therefore, by extension, B is likely to be B, as well.

the Wiki article on Objectivism
    Metaphysics: objective reality

Rand's philosophy begins with three axioms: existence, identity, and consciousness.[6] Rand defined an axiom as "a statement that identifies the base of knowledge and of any further statement pertaining to that knowledge, a statement necessarily contained in all others whether any particular speaker chooses to identify it or not. An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it."[7] As Leonard Peikoff noted, Rand's argument "is not a proof that the axioms of existence, consciousness, and identity are true. It is proof that they are axioms, that they are at the base of knowledge and thus inescapable."[8]

Objectivism states that "Existence exists" and "Existence is Identity." To be is to be "an entity of a specific nature made of specific attributes." That which has no attributes does not and cannot exist. Hence, the axiom of identity: a thing is what it is. Whereas "existence exists" pertains to existence itself (whether something exists or not), the law of identity pertains to the nature of an object as being necessarily distinct from other objects (whether something exists as this or that). As Rand wrote, "A leaf ... cannot be all red and green at the same time, it cannot freeze and burn at the same time. A is A."[9]

And one of the main sources of annoying noise and high error rates in communication among terrestrial primates comes from those who attempt to cite Shannon's information theory in support of their contentions, without having the foggiest idea of how to separate a weak signal from a showerstall full of the Good Lord's random noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd one of the main sources of annoying noise and high error rates in communication among terrestrial primates comes from those who attempt to cite Shannon's information theory in support of their contentions, without having the foggiest idea of how to separate a weak signal from a showerstall full of the Good Lord's random noise.

**Snap**crackle** roger!! **swoosh** thunder**
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I'm interested in a gravity engine.
    I prefer a turnip engine.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

When A = B, energy = Exergy

Well, I'll have to make sure that A=B never happens, or I might create a singularity or something.
    • CommentAuthorYAFFP

If A=B and therefore B could equal C etc it would be a disaster in many ways, not just science, take for example the famous speech by Martin Luther

"A AAAA A AAAAA"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

In point of fact A != A. Identity is an illusion. (APL notation, sorry.)
    I've sometimes had that feeling: that I wasn't who I thought I was.
    "Someday I want to be somebody like somebody was once."

Kaspar Hauser
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: YAFFPIf A=B and therefore B could equal C etc it would be a disaster in many ways, not just science, take for example the famous speech by Martin Luther

"A AAAA A AAAAA"

Brilliant! Or should that be Aaaaaaaaa!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: nycbon
    Posted By: Grimer
    Posted By: nycbon
    To be fair, he also believes in the existence of a infallible, omnipotent, caring, involved god ...

I do indeed.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son, Our Lord.

classic... absurd, but classic

It is like pressing a button "...his son, our one true lord, the maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen...."

If we're quoting bits of the creed, seeing it's the third Sunday in Lent, let's have it in full.

Credo in unum Deum,
    Patrem omnipoténtem,
    Factórem cæli et terræ,
    Visibílium ómnium et invisibílium.
    Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum,
    Fílium Dei Unigénitum,
    Et ex Patre natum ante ómnia sæcula.
    Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero,
    Génitum, non factum, consubstantiálem Patri:
    Per quem ómnia facta sunt.
    Qui propter nos hómines et propter nostram salútem
    Descéndit de cælis.
    Et incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto
    Ex María Vírgine, et homo factus est.
    Crucifíxus étiam pro nobis sub Póntio Piláto;
    Passus, et sepúltus est,
    Et resurréxit tértia die, secúndum Scriptúras,
    Et ascéndit in cælum, sedet ad déxteram Patris.
    Et íterum ventúrus est cum glória,
    Iudicáre vivos et mórtuos,
    Cuius regni non erit finis.
    Et in Spíritum Sanctum, Dóminum et vivificántem:
    Qui ex Patre Filióque procédit.
    Qui cum Patre et Fílio simul adorátur et conglorificátur:
    Qui locútus est per prophétas.
    Et unam, sanctam, cathólicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam.
    Confíteor unum baptísma in remissiónem peccatorum.
    Et expecto resurrectionem mortuorum,
    Et vitam ventúri sæculi. Amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

That one particularly apply to our little local preachers , like grant : "The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
    I'd be in constant fear too, if I were gRANT and believed in a just God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

@Grimer

I would be interested in your interpretation of the Sanctus hymn, from the ordinary of the mass. The issue is the word "Sabaoth", which I suspect has been bowdlerised a bit in the normal translations.

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus
    Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
    Blah blah blah and blah
    Blah blah blah blah
    Blah verily blah blah
    Blah blah blah sayeth the Blah
    Blah fire brimestone blah blah
    And so, blah blah blah
    Mass murder blah blah
    Blah blah have sex with your daughters in a cave blah blah
    Be nice blah blah
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Blah blah have sex with your daughters in a cave blah blah

Ha the story of Lot. I love the old testament, it is all full of smut , incest, slavery, blood, murder, violence of all art, worst than most of the pulp fiction out there.
    • CommentAuthornycbon

Posted By: QuantenNice "Credo"

A few more "Credo"

Excellent!!
    • CommentAuthornycbon

Posted By: QuantenNice "Credo"

A few more "Credo"

I do like George Carlin....

Religion easily has the best bullshit story of all time. Think about it. Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

it is even better when you hear him SAY it. There are a few youtube video on george carlin and the bible/religion.