Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthornzhopeful
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

They claim to put ATI and NVidia out of business in little over a year by no longer needing polygons in 3D graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited

Web site looks very bad, very amateurish. Usually a sign of snake oil. Anyway if they don't use polygone, then they use (or rather pretend to use) ray tracing which is good at certain type of problem, naturally polygone are not bad at other type of problem.

Also they pretend such stuff would run on a mobile phone. Right. And it is probably OU too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited

COMPLETE UTTER SNAKE OIL. HOAX.

Unlimited Detail is a fourth system, which is more like a search algorithm than a 3D engine. It is best explained like this: if you had a word document and you went to the “SEARCH” tool and typed in a word like “MONEY” the search tool quickly searches for every place that word appeared in the document. Google and Yahoo are also search engines that go looking for things very quickly. Unlimited Detail is basically a point cloud search algorithm. We can build enormous worlds with huge numbers of points, then compress them down to be very small. The Unlimited Detail engine works out which direction the camera is facing and then searches the data to find only the points it needs to put on the screen it doesn’t touch any unneeded points, all it wants is 1024*768 (if that is our resolution) points, one for each pixel of the screen. It has a few tricky things to work out, like: what objects are closest to the camera, what objects cover each other, how big should an object be as it gets further back. But all of this is done by a new sort of method that we call MASS CONNECTED PROCESSING. Mass connected processing is where we have a way of processing masses of data at the same time and then applying the small changes to each part at the end.

The result is a perfect pure bug free 3D engine that gives Unlimited Geometry running super fast, and it's all done in software.

Does it answer your question ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Only if you answer "yep" instead of "yes"? ;)
    • CommentAuthornzhopeful

"The result is a perfect pure bug free ..."

Just like all the code I produce!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Hmmm... I wonder if they are almost ready to release a software demo of the engine, but they just need some more investment to produce a demo that is polished enough to properly demo the capabilities of the algorithm, but anyway that does not matter because when they eventually do release the demo you will first need to entirely re-educate yourself on how software actually works before you can actually even use the software in such a way so as to appreciate why the now polished demo doesn't appear to the non-reeducated eye to actually demo the 3d algorithm's potential at all, but even that doesn't matter because version 2.0 of the algorithm, which will address all of these issues, in addition to any future issues that have not even been raised yet, will be released... SOON?
    Certainly overstatement. Every screenshot has a worryingly organic look as if a lot of pretty inexpensive procedural textures are used. I'd want to see some interior shots, some fixed geometry and some dynamic lighting.

Reminiscent of the voxel engine in Outcast - it looked impossibly detailed at first but the limitations started to show after a bit of play (although still very nice)

Unlimited is just shorthand for "we can't imagine you'd need more". Not an uncommon description. Not seen the vids yet, iPhone unfriendy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

There are way to solve the occlusion problem , remember for example what was called I think carmack btree or something. But the way they present it, avoiding all possible detail, and their kip on "we presented to some studio but they feared it and did not show it to the management" does that remind you of something ? (we presented our OU stuff to university and they refused to acknowledge it). Combine with the less than professional presentation and web site, you can guess why I say they are an hoax.
    I haven't looked at all of it yet, so I may have missed some of the more excitable parts.

Carmack invented and reinvented several methods for processing, ordering and filtering geometry before rendering it. It's all portals nowadays IIRC, but I stopped being that interested when it got "nice enough"

I used to enjoy following the engine wars and was a bit sad that Messiahs RTDAT didn't get used more - it had a great balance of scale, interactivity and detail. And 3d hookers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

...and anyway they are merely providing the 3d engine - they will not be creating the games and apps that will use it - the games and software developer community will do that, and properly demonstrate the potential of the system in the process. In fact they are so inept at this sort of thing that they will actually never be able to properly demonstrate it, so instead they will wait for the first developed implementations (from as yet unnamed 3rd parties) to be released, which will of course also happen ... SOON. And anyway what is your hurry? The first 3d engines used in games like DOOM and Wolfenstein etc. took a long time to mature into the engines that are being used today - Remember nothing emerges fully evolved (including scams it would seem)! (Orbo is a technology platform - We do not make the end products - the developer community will properly implement the concept is practical ways?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

By the way - just you wait until you do not see version 3.0!

(OK - I'm all done now! ;) )
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

Nice parody, Duracell !
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

Posted By: QuantenCOMPLETE UTTER SNAKE OIL. HOAX.

Unlimited Detail is a fourth system, which is more like a search algorithm than a 3D engine. It is best explained like this: if you had a word document and you went to the “SEARCH” tool and typed in a word like “MONEY” the search tool quickly searches for every place that word appeared in the document.Google and Yahoo are also search engines that go looking for things very quickly. Unlimited Detail is basically a point cloud search algorithm. We can build enormous worlds with huge numbers of points, then compress them down to be very small. The Unlimited Detail engine works out which direction the camera is facing and then searches the data to find only the points it needs to put on the screenit doesn’t touch any unneeded points, all it wants is 1024*768 (if that is our resolution) points, one for each pixel of the screen. It has a few tricky things to work out, like: what objects are closest to the camera, what objects cover each other, how big should an object be as it gets further back. But all of this is done by a new sort of method that we call MASS CONNECTED PROCESSING. Mass connected processing is where we have a way of processing masses of data at the same time and then applying the small changes to each part at the end.

The result is a perfect pure bug free 3D engine that gives Unlimited Geometry running super fast, and it's all done in software.

Does it answer your question ?
    It certainly smells like bull shit. Search tries are good for sifting through data once it has been ordered. The ordering process is many times more time consuming than the search process. It seems to me that the database for such a scheme would be monstrous in size and take forever to populate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

Posted By: joshsSearch tries are good for sifting through data once it has been ordered. The ordering process is many times more time consuming than the search process. It seems to me that the database for such a scheme would be monstrous in size and take forever to populate.

There are, however, certain search engines that don't require data to be structured before searching. They can also search contextually, not requiring exact definitions. From memory I think they use bayesian algorithms, and when I can remember the name of the company I did some work for about six years ago, I'll drop in a couple of links. The demonstrations I witnessed on raw data provided by a third party were damned impressive....
    • CommentAuthorunderunity
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010 edited

Jesus, this pretentious asshole claims "billions" of points.

Lets say his "google like" "search algorithim" is instant...

So, a scene with say a billion (giga) points. If at the minimum a single point requires a position (12 bytes) and a color (4 bytes), for a billion points, you only need 160 gigabytes of space! For a single scene! This sounds like a winnar technology.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Growler
    Posted By: joshsSearch tries are good for sifting through data once it has been ordered. The ordering process is many times more time consuming than the search process. It seems to me that the database for such a scheme would be monstrous in size and take forever to populate.

There are, however, certain search engines that don't require data to be structured before searching. They can also search contextually, not requiring exact definitions. From memory I think they use bayesian algorithms, and when I can remember the name of the company I did some work for about six years ago, I'll drop in a couple of links. The demonstrations I witnessed on raw data provided by a third party were damned impressive....
    The less ordered a set is the less likely a given key can be matched on any given sample. Put in another perspective: ray tracing is in its own way a method of searching.
    Looks like BS to me also, it's funny this thread was started, for the last couple of days I've been umming and ahhing over the current state of affairs with the giants Nvidia and ATI, I'm an Nvidia fan, so as some of you might know us Nvidia fans have been somewhat left dissapointed, ATI released it's first DirectX 11/Directcompute cards late 2009 and Nvidia are still being somewhat cagey about it's GTX 480, but what I've learned so far is that ATI's HD5870 is nearly on level par with the GTX 480 for performance with the GTX 480 being almost twice the price!!, I'm now lookking to switch to ATI with a purchase of the HD5870, unless Nvidia pull something out of the hat in the near future.
    Here is a comparison of both cards, made by Nvidia no less!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-ati-radeon,9819.html
    • CommentAuthorunderunity

Also, this asshole missed the boat.

DX11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTngR6M37Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

It doesn't really matter though. Video game development costs are getting so fucking high, that the industry will probably be limited by manpower and growing costs of labor oversees rather than the polygons they can shove on the screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

No proper contact details for the Company (e.g. registered company name or number, full address, or telephone numbers etc.) Just 1 email address and 2 names.
    Posted By: underunityAlso, this asshole missed the boat.

DX11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTngR6M37Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

It doesn't really matter though. Video game development costs are getting so fucking high, that the industry will probably be limited by manpower and growing costs of labor oversees rather than the polygons they can shove on the screen.

You can tell the Unigine engine was specifically optimized for Nvidia cards, I tried it on the HD5770 and with tesselation turned on it almost halfs the framerate.