Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited

Source Physorg

Scientists create non metallic magnets

Physicists create carbon magnetism by removing atoms from graphite
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010

More on magnets from Physorg

New superstrong magnets made best ever

Iron-nitrogen compound forms strongest magnet known
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010

More on Physorg

Trust the Canadians to upset the applecart.

Magnetic monopole experiment at CERN could rewrite laws of physics
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimMore on Physorg

I knew the guy when I was there.

Odd coincidence, considering the extensive labour I just posted over on the Bessler thread for the benefit of OC.
    • CommentAuthorunderunity

Posted By: Angus

Odd coincidence, considering the extensive labour I just posted over on the Bessler thread for the benefit of OC.
    I am not sure that thread benefits anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited

Posted By: underunity

I am not sure that thread benefits anyone.

It sure isn't benefitting OC, but it could.

I don't "see" how a monopole magnet could be any more useful than other monopole forces (accelerations?) like gravity. It would be interesting, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: overconfidentI don't "see" how a monopole magnet could be any more useful than other monopole forces (accelerations?) like gravity. It would be interesting, though.

And is generally considered not to exist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: overconfidentI don't "see" how a monopole magnet could be any more useful than other monopole forces (accelerations?) like gravity. It would be interesting, though.

And is generally considered not to exist.

Interesting and generally considered not to exist?

Hmm... Sounds a lot like the contents of some envelopes circulated between property developers and our elected representatives before the property bubble burst here! ... erm allegedly ... in my opinion ... or something!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited

Posted By: Duracell

Interesting and generally considered not to exist?

Hmm... Sounds a lot like the contents of some envelopes circulated between property developers and our elected representatives before the property bubble burst here! ... erm allegedly ... in my opinion ... or something!

There are different kinds of nonexistence:
    -nonexistence by incompatibility with the actual universe (Orbo)
    -nonexistence by convention (women's ages over 35 and weights over 50kg)
    -nonexistence by convenience (red lights when I'm in a hurry)
    -nonexistence by expediency (human rights in Cuba, including Guantanamo)
    -nonexistency by sleight of hand (cheques delivered to elected reps by property developers)

The remaining fourteen types are left as an exercise for the reader.
    -nonexistence by denial (there's no such thing as a PIFU)
    -nonexistence by affirming existence of an antithetical opposite (there's no such thing as life after death, because when you die, you are in fact dead for the duration...)
    -nonexistence by fading away of prior existence (kuru is dying out amongst the Fore of PNG because they no longer feed diseased corpses to their women and children)
    -nonexistence by complacency (there's nothing that can go wrong, I am sitting here fat dumb and happy and the fuel gauge is still on F...just as it's been for the past 4 hours.)

Ten to go...
    • CommentAuthorunderunity
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010

Magnetic monopoles have never been observed but current EM theorey does not explicitly deny their existence.

Also, IIRC, you can build certain devices that exhibit magnetic monopole like properties on a macroscopic scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited

Posted By: alsetalokin
    -nonexistence by complacency (there's nothing that can go wrong, I am sitting here fat dumb and happy and the fuel gauge is still on F...just as it's been for the past 4 hours.)

Oh I like that one best so far! Many examples spring to mind - "But the popup said click here to remove my malware!", "The local council approved my planning permission application to build in the middle of the known flood plain so I figured it must be ok!", "It was a 15 year old car, and although the air bags had never been serviced the airbag warning light never came on, so I figured it must have been fine!".

-nonexistence by stubbornness (I say "X". You say "not X because of Y". I say "I'm not convinced Y exists". You go to great lengths to explain why Y exists. You're arguments make sense. However, I don't understand some of them. I don't have any counterarguments. In fact, I'm not qualified enough, experienced enough, skilful enough or articulate enough to understand or even express accurately the reasons why I disagree with you, but I still disagree with you) Sound familiar? ;)

Nine to go...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Duracell-nonexistence by stubbornness

Good one, that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Interim compilation of nonexistence.

1-nonexistence by incompatibility with the actual universe (Orbo)

2-nonexistence by convention (women's ages over 35 and weights over 50kg)

3-nonexistence by convenience (red lights when I'm in a hurry)

4-nonexistence by expediency (human rights in Cuba, including Guantanamo)

5-nonexistence by sleight of hand (cheques delivered to elected reps by property developers)

6-nonexistence by denial (there's no such thing as a PIFU)

7-nonexistence by affirming existence of an antithetical opposite (there's no such thing as life after death, because when you die, you are in fact dead for the duration...)

8-nonexistence by fading away of prior existence (kuru is dying out amongst the Fore of PNG because they no longer feed diseased corpses to their women and children)

9-nonexistence by complacency (there's nothing that can go wrong, I am sitting here fat dumb and happy and the fuel gauge is still on F...just as it's been for the past 4 hours.)

10-nonexistence by stubbornness (I say "X". You say "not X because of Y". I say "I'm not convinced Y exists". You go to great lengths to explain why Y exists. You're arguments make sense. However, I don't understand some of them. I don't have any counterarguments. In fact, I'm not qualified enough, experienced enough, skilful enough or articulate enough to understand or even express accurately the reasons why I disagree with you, but I still disagree with you. So there.)

11-nonexistence by fatigue.( I have given you the correct answer over and over for so long now that I forget what it is.)

12-nonexistence by decree ("I refuse to accept this - Therefore it is not - and woe betide anyone dumb enough to point out that it is!" - Frequently employed in dictatorial regimes and organisations! Examples: Idi Amin, the former boards of directors of many finacial institutions etc.)

13-nonexistence determined by testing [empirical nonexistence] (e.g. the claimed relationship does not exist based on the results of a DNA paternity test)
    -
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

11-nonexistence by fatigue. I have given you the correct answer over and over for so long now that I forget what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

12-nonexistence by lack of consent ("I refuse to accept this - Therefore it is not - and woe betide anyone dumb enough to point out that it is!" - Frequently employed in dictatorial regimes and organisations! Examples: Idi Amin, the former boards of directors of many finacial institutions etc.) ETA: Might be more accurately called 12-nonexistence by decree!

13-nonexistence determined by testing (e.g. the claimed relationship does not exist based on the results of a DNA paternity test)

One left...
    14-nonexistence by GIT; this list does not belong on the list of lists containing 14 examples of nonexistence
    I think there may be more than fourteen. High-energy collisions in the newly inaugurated Large Concept Collider have yielded many fragments that may turn out to be fundamental memes of non-existence in their own right.
    For example, several instances of nonexistence by exhaustive search of the problem space have apparently been detected, putting into question the fundamental logical postulate that it is impossible to prove a negative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: timetrumpet14-nonexistence by GIT; this list does not belong on the list of lists containing 14 examples of nonexistence

No self referential nonexistences are allowed. Our human brains are not ready.

Are you referring to geometrical invariant theory or to the Korean film of that name?