Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: loreman"The view that they are so founded, or the fact that they are so founded?"

I'm commenting on the perspective.

The Western perspective that the societies in question are illogical and superstitious, or the perspective that such founding may not be exactly a good thing?

Posted By: loreman"Do folks wander around the outback, hundreds of miles from anything, without a weapon, in your part of the world?"

Nope. But they wander 'round the cities without a weapon (mostly).

Well, that's good, mostly. Now, in some cities on this half of the globe, the situation is reversed. The most serious predators you will likely meet are in the cities, not the outback.

Here in these parts, it seems that the most serious predators one is likely to meet are in the high schools, or have dropped out of them recently. The 20 and under demographic is disproportionally represented in the fatal knifings that seem to happen weekly. (They can't usually afford to buy the black market handguns until their drug dealing or procuring business starts turning a profit, so the shootings are generally confined to the 20-24 year age bracket.)
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

The Western perspective that the societies in question are illogical and superstitious
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: loreman"Those who have the most guns?"

When you combine that with this...

"Individuals are really ultimately responsible for their own security"

...you arrive in America, I think

Not this part of America!
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I should have been more specific and said the USA. As I understand it, Canada's gun laws are not unlike ours.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Here in these parts, it seems that the most serious predators one is likely to meet are in the high schools, or have dropped out of them recently.

It's becoming more like that around here. It's at least partly because of the unbelievable interconnectedness of that generation (my teenage daughter is on Facebook or SMSing at least 18 hours per day) and the desire to do something that goes viral, as well as the fact that many of them indulge in a horrible mix of alcohol and Ice. Also here there are about 80,000 people per year coming into the country from places where violence is the norm-this is causing a deal of social upheaval.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"Either way, pre-determined or random, I see no logical way you can have free will (in the sense of having been able to have acted in a way other than you have acted). Either my choice was caused (and therefore predetermined) or it had no cause, and was therefore random."

So lets posit for a moment that I choose to believe in God. So that's either predetermined, or random?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: evolvealreadyWe make choices, but they are (like everything else) a culmination of pre-existing causation (that sounds redundant but is said for clarification). Therefore, our course and choices are pre-determined, even though we can do what we want (within the bounds of physical laws).

No point in talking to evolvealready. He is an automaton.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

It interests me that people see "choice" as being a sort of the results of a whole lot of binary events-like the "universe" is one big coin toss. I suspect that what is going on is infinitely (ahem) more complex-Angus your comments above about quantum theory and probability resonate. The problem with the "binary" view is that between any two points there is always another point (is zero a point? I don't think so but I left off maths officially nearly 40 years ago).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

@loreman
    I am predestined to agree with what you were predestined to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited

80,000 people per year
    ?? If you lived in SW USA, that number wouldn't cover the illegal immigrants from all sorts of violent places in just one week.

I need to share this gem I just saw for real on eBay. A vendor got a negative feedback that read "Did not ship until I threatened cancellation. English hard to understand."

The reply was "Pride buyer express rationalize behavior reamer instead to said thanks you ."

That's not hard to understand at all. But it does remind of some Steorn posters. Can't think of who. Now let's see... help me remember which one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Well, that's good, mostly. Now, in some cities on this half of the globe, the situation is reversed. The most serious predators you will likely meet are in the cities, not the outback.

Here in these parts, it seems that the most serious predators one is likely to meet are in the high schools, or have dropped out of them recently. The 20 and under demographic is disproportionally represented in the fatal knifings that seem to happen weekly. (They can't usually afford to buy the black market handguns until their drug dealing or procuring business starts turning a profit, so the shootings are generally confined to the 20-24 year age bracket.)

Same situation where I was born, except no shooting (or not too much) but a lot of knifing. I have enough scar as anecdotal evidence...

The worst you would get in the most savage part of France "outback", is stung by a bee nest, or maybe break your leg slipping in a mud puddle or loose rock, or be attacked by a fox with rabbies. At most.
    Posted By: maryyugo

But then our societies are mostly founded on illogic and superstitions so none of that is likely to happen in our lifetimes in other than maybe in a very few places.

Like a law system that increases punishment as a function of results of actions instead of the actions themselves.
    E.g.: I push someone off the stairs: that same action will have different legal consequences if the pushee survives or not. Which is not logical if you consider that the outcome (dead or not) is not entirely dependant on that action.
    Was this the "perception of countries ruled by illogic and superstition" thread?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8598134.stm