Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanMummy!

Seymour!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2020 edited

Posted By: AngusIt's Linnean name recognises Capt. Wm. Bligh, who blew it on the Bounty, made one of the legendary sea voyages of all time in the longboat he was put into by the mutineers, and wound up Governor General of Australia, whence loreman's comment, I suppose.

The mutineers didn't leave much of a legacy as it turned out. Their descendants seem to have all been arrested for child abuse.

Not Governor General of Australia (that office didn’t exist then) but Governor of New South Wales. He was arrested by the Officers of the rebellious “Rum Corp” because of his ruthless attempts to impose discipline on the colonial army. You’d think he’d have learned his lesson after the Bounty incident.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Once a leader, always a leader.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2020 edited

Thanks for the correcto. I had hearx he wasn't a favourite.

It must have been fun to share a rowboat with him for 4000 nm.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Yes, but that was an epic voyage-he must have had some degree of intestinal fortitude, despite how his capture was depicted by the rebels in the Rum Rebellion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2020

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Hmmm...the only land invertebrate to secrete tetrodotoxin. Maybe Putin can use it.
    Hammerhead worms are found in southern states. Although they are well established in Louisiana, Texas and Florida, they were not believed to be in the central United States. However, one as long at 1 ft. was recently found as far north as Springfield, MO.

Now I'm really going to have nightmares. Cut them in half, the head part regrows a tail and the tail part regrows a head!
    • CommentAuthortinker

They look like giant planaria- which can also regenerate. I wonder if they can do the planarian trick of growing 2 heads or two tails if you cut them lengthwise?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

They are planaria.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I remember dissecting planaria in high school biology class.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2020 edited

Me too. But the ones I worked with weren't nearly as colorful, or as large, nor did they contain tetrodotoxin, as far as I knew.
    (That class might have worked out differently had I had a few zombie-toxin-producing animals around...)

These things apparently can eat _themselves_ when they get hungry, although I can't quite figure out the evolutionary advantage of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

I tried yoga and flexercising; but, was never able to achieve that.
    Heh.... not quite the sense I meant.

But... juvenile baboons can do it. While hanging by all fours from the chain-link fence. All day long. It is hilarious to see, and difficult to explain to the Cub Scout troupe visiting the Primate Centre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Hmmm, interesting methodology.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Any such attempted explanation may lead to a stint behind the chain link fence.
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2020 edited

Posted By: AngusThey are planaria.

Oh- I thought they were animated liquorice allsorts.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Liquorice_Allsorts_in_a_glass_bowl.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2020

Inbar Lavi, aka Eve in "Lucifer" Season 4.