Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

Anybody know whether Oorja, a fuel cell maker, is for real and has a chance of success? Or is it another money sucking pit like Steorn and Goldes for certain and probably EESTOR and BLP will turn out to be?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

I don't know anything about the company. I do recall multiple companies working on methanol fuel cells circa 2005, so the time frame is right. I'd start with patent applications and the backgrounds of the key players.
    • CommentAuthormycroft
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited

A methanol fuel cell could work. The main problem with all these new fuel cell solutions is how the methanol production is going to ramp up ? If they are selling tons of Oorja, as a result methanol prices will skyrocket and it won't be an economically viable solution.

So basically to succeed they should sell as few units as possible ..

(It is a bit simplistic, but remember we consume roughly 80 millions barrels per day of oil. So whatever should be the new energy source we need a way to produce it fast and in vast quantity)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

I've made my own ethanol on many occasions, I wonder how different a process it is to produce methanol?
    I also remember reading about a large fermentation/distillation closed unit type machine a few years ago... put in any old organic crap in one end and some form of alcohol came out the other... Having 2 young kids, I reckon if I could ferment all our food waste and shitty nappies we could well become self sufficient with a fuel cell !!