Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

@nova

If you really believe there are three nationalities in North America, then how come you don't call your country the USNA? If the US can be of A, then so can Canada, and Mexico, and anybody else who lives in A.

I am at liberty to describe myself as one who lives in America if I choose to. The USA does not own that name.

It's interesting that some get so worked up over this. I don't give a damn what you think. YOU get over it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: discombobulatorramerica is thought of as the /country'/ rather than the continent

A relatively recent error I have made it my business not to tolerate any more.
    problem is that about 4 billion people will make that mistake
    another 2 billion or so will not make that mistake because they have never heard of america anyway
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

There was a time when nobody at all had heard of america, but some persevered and went on to discover it so that we could have this argument. Waldseemuller saddled us with the name of an obscure italian explorer, which carries with it a whiff of the bitter (amaro). Nevertheless, it is where we all live, and I have dedicated myself to reclaiming its name from the misuse it is now suffering. It is a long process, but sense will prevail in the end. And if I should happen to succeed, I am sure there will be other windmills waiting.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: Angus@nova

If you really believe there are three nationalities in North America, then how come you don't call your country the USNA? If the US can be of A, then so can Canada, and Mexico, and anybody else who lives in A.

I am at liberty to describe myself as one who lives in America if I choose to. The USA does not own that name.

It's interesting that some get so worked up over this. I don't give a damn what you think. YOU get over it!

You are Canadian and I am American and I have a good friend that cooks like a great chef is Mexican.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Posted By: novaYou are Canadian and I am American and I have a good friend that cooks like a great chef is Mexican.

And we are all Americans if we want to call ourselves that. Sorry you don't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Aren't we all Americans?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Well I'm not an American, and can sympathize with Angus' reluctance to be lumped in.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: discombobulatorramerica is thought of as the /country'/ rather than the continent

It's a bit of windmill tilting. You are demanding that three hundred million people change how they refer to themselves to correct a logical inconsistency that bugs you personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: loremanWell I'm not an American, and can sympathize with Angus' reluctance to be lumped in.

That's a typical behavior of Americans :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I think the dominance of 'American' culture has made the american way of life more or less the LCD of most industrialized modern nations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited

Posted By: Scott-in-Chicago
    Posted By: pcstruI thought the reason for the vast US military machine and the Bush regimes sabre rattling, was that having been late for the last two world wars, you were trying to be early for the next one.

Good one!

We (America) will be starting the next war since those little children running Iran have chosen to play with the big boys and make a few nukes. Some cultures have not matured and still function with mentalities that are immature. Like giving a handgun to a seven year old.

Whether anyone likes it or not this world is held together on the thin agreement of law among men. Remove law and all would revert to man eats man. Threat of punishment from an effective enforcer is what keeps the law functional.

Ok, let all of the peace loving people respond to this post and complain about war. But remember, without the threat there is no law and order.

Hum. No. The world is held together by the law of the might and the law of distance. He who has the most might dictate the "agreement", and when might tend to be similar or there is less difference, the agreement tend to be on equal footing. Also distance come into play, so you can dick around if you are far away from any military base of the other. Also a good alternative is to be too small fry to be on the radar of the other.

Example: US chose to crush Afghanistan or even Irak. Nobody could do a damn over it even if they wanted. That's not a gentleman agreement it is simply a show of might and big balls and big gun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshs

It's a bit of windmill tilting. You are demanding that three hundred million people change how they refer to themselves to correct a logical inconsistency that bugs you personally.

Balderdash. I demand nothing. Refusing to tolerate something is not a demand. It is a statement.
    • CommentAuthorunderunity

Posted By: Scott-in-Chicago
    Posted By: pcstruI thought the reason for the vast US military machine and the Bush regimes sabre rattling, was that having been late for the last two world wars, you were trying to be early for the next one.

Good one!

We (America) will be starting the next war since those little children running Iran have chosen to play with the big boys and make a few nukes. Some cultures have not matured and still function with mentalities that are immature. Like giving a handgun to a seven year old.

Whether anyone likes it or not this world is held together on the thin agreement of law among men. Remove law and all would revert to man eats man. Threat of punishment from an effective enforcer is what keeps the law functional.

Ok, let all of the peace loving people respond to this post and complain about war. But remember, without the threat there is no law and order.

Heard those immature children in Iraq also made some WMDs.

We showed those fuckers, yeh?

Time to go buy some Brawndo, THE THIRST MUTILATOR. It has electrolytes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

@overunity there is much MUCH less evidence that Irak had WMD after they got ride of their chemical one, than north Korea having nuke. Actually the second proposition is definitively proved AFAIK, even if it is low yield, whereas the first proposal the world is still waiting for evidence of any WMD left before the invasion by the US. AFAIR nothing was found to consolidate the idea that invasion was necessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: aber0derI think the dominance of 'American' culture has made the american way of life more or less the LCD of most industrialized modern nations.

Emphasis on 'L'?
    • CommentAuthorunderunity

Posted By: Quanten@overunity there is much MUCH less evidence that Irak had WMD after they got ride of their chemical one, than north Korea having nuke. Actually the second proposition is definitively proved AFAIK, even if it is low yield, whereas the first proposal the world is still waiting for evidence of any WMD left before the invasion by the US. AFAIR nothing was found to consolidate the idea that invasion was necessary.

You didn't get my sarcasm.

The Iraq war was pointless, and sabre rattling at Iran will also be pointless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited

Posted By: underunityThe Iraq war was pointless, and sabre rattling at Iran will also be pointless.

And unfortunately the military attempt to turn Afghanistan into a country will also (once again) be pointless.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Balderdash. I demand nothing. Refusing to tolerate something is not a demand. It is a statement.
    I think you put yourself into a difficult semantic position. If you refuse to accept the behavior of some group, that's a hell of an implication that you demand they change their behavior. You and I both know that right, wrong, or indifferent residents of the USofA refer to themselves and are referred to as Americans and that isn't ever likely to change.

My sense is that you are offended by the general swagger and bullying that comes from the land to your south. If taking your position vents some of that frustration it doesn't bother me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshs
    I think you put yourself into a difficult semantic position. If you refuse to accept the behavior of some group, that's a hell of an implication that you demand they change their behavior. You and I both know that right, wrong, or indifferent residents of the USofA refer to themselves and are referred to as Americans and that isn't ever likely to change.

Seems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.

I don't care what citizens of the USA choose to call themselves. I find it amusing when they are offended that I choose to call myself "American" because I live in what I call America. It is your outrage that keeps this thing going, not my determination.