Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorunderunity
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited

Posted By: AngusSeems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.

I don't care what citizens of the USA choose to call themselves. I find it amusing when they are offended that I choose to call myself "American" because I live in what I call America. It is your outrage that keeps this thing going, not my determination.

If I recall correctly, I think you started the whole thing with repeatedly referring to us as "USians."

Maybe some of us objected to being labeled "USians" on the basis that it sounds fucking retarded, and you kept on insisting that is what we should call ourselves.

I don't really think anybody cares what you call yourselves, just don't call us neg-- USians?
    anyway...I hope there is no war, that compromise and understanding win out, nothing could be better than peace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Posted By: underunity
    Posted By: AngusSeems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.

I don't care what citizens of the USA choose to call themselves. I find it amusing when they are offended that I choose to call myself "American" because I live in what I call America. It is your outrage that keeps this thing going, not my determination.

If I recall correctly, I think you started the whole thing with repeatedly referring to us as "USians."

Maybe some of us objected to being labeled "USians" on the basis that it sounds fucking retarded, and you kept on insisting that is what we should call ourselves.

I don't really think anybody cares what you call yourselves, just don't call us neg-- USians?

What started the whole thing, if I recall correctly, was that I pointed out that there was no real demonym for the USA. I came up with USan for lack of an alternative. I said long ago that I had no expectation that you would call yourselves that. I'm happy to use any acceptable term.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

I like the term 'Merkins' to differentiate those from the US from those from other American countries...
    • CommentAuthortinker

I thought a Merkin (Mirkin?) was a pubic wig?
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: novaYou are Canadian and I am American and I have a good friend that cooks like a great chef is Mexican.

And we are all Americans if we want to call ourselves that. Sorry you don't like it.
    Most of us are earthlings.
    Not a matter of me not likeing it, it's changing the rules in the middle of the game.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

If Angus wants to tilt that windmill, the only harm is the confusion he creates in his communication.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: Scott-in-Chicagoanyway...I hope there is no war, that compromise and understanding win out, nothing could be better than peace.

The only time there will be no war among human, is the time where humanity will be extinct.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: joshs
    Balderdash. I demand nothing. Refusing to tolerate something is not a demand. It is a statement.
    I think you put yourself into a difficult semantic position. If you refuse to accept the behavior of some group, that's a hell of an implication that you demand they change their behavior. You and I both know that right, wrong, or indifferent residents of the USofA refer to themselves and are referred to as Americans and that isn't ever likely to change.

Seems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.
    Well that's an odd example. Is Canadian a slur by virtue of its use for hundreds of years of oppression? Because that is the reason that even though "negro" is itself as neutral as caucasian, it became taboo in the late '60s.

By the logic you propose we should be calling black people USAns of African descent, and calling you a Canadian American of (I assume) caucasian descent. If you wish to identify yourself by continent instead of country, it doesn't bother me. I think you have every right to declare the continent you live on no matter how much doing so without being more specific confuses your listener.

I am not outraged at all. I am not even offended. I think you neded to find one of those bigots ( Grant would be a likely choice ) who think there is something especially entitling about who one's father is or where they happened to be when they popped out of their mother's womb. As an old Jethro Tull song once noted: "It was just an accident at birth."
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Quanten
    Posted By: Scott-in-Chicagoanyway...I hope there is no war, that compromise and understanding win out, nothing could be better than peace.

The only time there will be no war among human, is the time where humanity will be extinct.
    People are more willing to wage war when they don't understand just how horrific it is. About the only thing that correlates with reduced carnage is post WWII. Whether that is due to fear of nuclear annihilation, dominance by a few powers held in relative check, better communication, or just dumb luck, I don't know.
    Posted By: underunity
    Posted By: Quanten@overunity there is much MUCH less evidence that Irak had WMD after they got ride of their chemical one, than north Korea having nuke. Actually the second proposition is definitively proved AFAIK, even if it is low yield, whereas the first proposal the world is still waiting for evidence of any WMD left before the invasion by the US. AFAIR nothing was found to consolidate the idea that invasion was necessary.

You didn't get my sarcasm.

The Iraq war was pointless, and sabre rattling at Iran will also be pointless.

Was not.

Saddam sent Zarqawi to kill the American Ambassador to Jordan. For this he had to be killed. Failure to do so would be a sign that the diplomatic system that governs international relations is over. I won't be replying to any comments on this, since it is simply the way things are.
    • CommentAuthorGuru

This is repulsive HASBARA mendacious propaganda. You promote ZioNacism here ?

This was HASBARA agent, who told to Tony B' Liar about (nonexistent) Iraqi WMD

and Tony B' Liar consequently disseminate this lies:

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=11824

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=11733
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Silver SwordFor this he had to be killed. Failure to do so would be a sign that the diplomatic system that governs international relations is over.

Diplomatic murder?
    You are confusing international diplomacy with code duello.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Nixon and Kissinger were in on the Chilean coup that brought the brutal killer Pinochet to power. I don't seem to recall death sentences on that pair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Silver SwordI won't be replying to any comments on this, since it is simply the way things are.

Wow - What a persuasive convincing argument - Ranks right up there with this:

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshsNixon and Kissinger were in on the Chilean coup that brought the brutal killer Pinochet to power. I don't seem to recall death sentences on that pair.

Absolutely!! And don't even begin to look into Central America.
    Think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

What would you like me to think, and why do you think I should think that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Well, for starters, there is always Abu Ghraib for which we will always fondly "think" of America for.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Silver SwordThink!

That's not even a sentence. You might as well post:

Dog!

For all it adds to the discussion.