Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBigMc
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited

Wow, this thread is accumulating a dangerously high crazy charge. It's like some kind of Van de Graaff generator, but instead of building up a static electricity, it builds up BATSHIT FUCKING INSANITY. The loonosity is making my hair stand on end.

It's awesome. Keep it up.

(edit to add an "a" to Graaff)
    • CommentAuthorpocko
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Posted By: BigMcWow, this thread is accumulating a dangerously high crazy charge. It's like some kind of Van de Graaff generator, but instead of building up a static electricity, it builds up BATSHIT FUCKING INSANITY. The loonosity is making my hair stand on end.

It's awesome. Keep it up.
    LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You think it's crazy in here!! Have a look over at Grimer's latest Bessler thread.
    Fart!
    • CommentAuthorArde

Posted By: Angus

Seems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.

I don't care what citizens of the USA choose to call themselves. I find it amusing when they are offended that I choose to call myself "American" because I live in what I call America. It is your outrage that keeps this thing going, not my determination.

Just out of curiosity, what would you like to be called if you were a Cajun (other than coon ass)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Arde
    Posted By: Angus

Seems to me that there was a time when "negro" was polite. The people labelled that way objected. It changed.

I don't care what citizens of the USA choose to call themselves. I find it amusing when they are offended that I choose to call myself "American" because I live in what I call America. It is your outrage that keeps this thing going, not my determination.

Just out of curiosity, what would you like to be called if you were a Cajun (other than coon ass)?

Field Marshal Professor-Doctor the Archduke Angus of Angus, OBE,CBE,CD,

but you can call me "Sire" for short.
    • CommentAuthorUtD_Grant

Posted By: Arde

"Monsieur Squeezebox".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

and I'll also settle for "bon gars"
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"what would you like to be called if you were a Cajun"

Fingers
    • CommentAuthorchipotle

SS is correct that the disabled have been pretty well served by the current US system. A lot of us are skeptical of Obamacare. It doesn't help that it's partially funded by taxes on wheelchairs. If you think that federalized health insurance is a great idea because it's going to increase fairness for people with expensive conditions or those with conditions that limit income producing potential, you might want to ask one of those people what they think because you might be surprised.

Healthcare, like anything else, is a limited good and price mechanisms play an important role in deciding what's the right course of treatment. Also it's not a specific set of goods as some conditions can be treated with "medical devices" or home improvements, and prices are important in deciding which.

I am thinking of getting a cane to help with balance, since I don't have a left leg. It's not going to be simple because I don't have a right hand. So something would need to be rigged up. Is that really a good investment for something that might prevent one fall a year? It depends how much it costs. If I am paying all the bills myself, then I have the incentive to make the right decision. If insurance just pays the limbmaker to rig me a cane when I tell the doctor I want one, then I have an incentive to acquire more medical devices than I really need.

A cane rigged like that might also let me hold down the throttle on my junker while I stand outside scraping the windshield. So it's sounding like a medical necessity to me the more I think about it.
    • CommentAuthorunderunity
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited

Posted By: Silver Sword
    Posted By: underunity
    You didn't get my sarcasm.

The Iraq war was pointless, and sabre rattling at Iran will also be pointless.

Was not.

Saddam sent Zarqawi to kill the American Ambassador to Jordan. For this he had to be killed. Failure to do so would be a sign that the diplomatic system that governs international relations is over. I won't be replying to any comments on this, since it is simply the way things are.

*Try again.*

Do you have any citations for these loony things you say? I think there were supposed to be WMDs in Iraq too. Makin' shit up as you go, Steorn style.

(I know your dumb ass doesn't have much integrity or moral fortitude, so I'm fairly sure you'll respond to this message just like you respond to all the other messages after claiming to leave.)
    Posted By: chipotleSS is correct (snip some more absurdities)
    I am thinking of getting a cane to help with balance, since I don't have a left leg. It's not going to be simple because I don't have a right hand. So something would need to be rigged up. Is that really a good investment for something that might prevent one fall a year? It depends how much it costs. If I am paying all the bills myself, then I have the incentive to make the right decision. If insurance just pays the limbmaker to rig me a cane when I tell the doctor I want one, then I have an incentive to acquire more medical devices than I really need.

A cane rigged like that might also let me hold down the throttle on my junker while I stand outside scraping the windshield. So it's sounding like a medical necessity to me the more I think about it.

Sounds to me like you are an ideal candidate for beta testing the BlimpMobility DFD (device for disabled)(tm). It's a small, fully controllable B(limp) that has a small, single harness gondola (or in your case, a large bucket) and Grimer Gravity Turbines for motive power. Most of the technology has already been tested and is always proven to work. (We were going to be using the improved power-to-volume ratio eOrbos, but that program appears to have been cancelled by the SS-KDB and all airframes using that motor have been scrapped to make water bottles.)
    We are waiting for our development team to distill enough AlphaHydrogeninos to be able to inflate the B(limp) DFD. (As everyone knows, the density of AlphaHydrogenino gas at STP is negative, and becomes increasingly negative as the Grimer coefficient of pressure is raised.)
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

Posted By: chipotleSS is correct that the disabled have been pretty well served by the current US system. A lot of us are skeptical of Obamacare. It doesn't help that it's partially funded by taxes on wheelchairs. If you think that federalized health insurance is a great idea because it's going to increase fairness for people with expensive conditions or those with conditions that limit income producing potential, you might want to ask one of those people what they think because you might be surprised.

Healthcare, like anything else, is a limited good and price mechanisms play an important role in deciding what's the right course of treatment. Also it's not a specific set of goods as some conditions can be treated with "medical devices" or home improvements, and prices are important in deciding which.

Massive change in the US is called for for both moral and economic reasons. A medical catastrophe could happen to anyone ant anytime. It is just the luck of the draw. It should not bankrupt people. In the meantime the cost of care in the US is making the US less and less competitive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: chipotleSS is correct that the disabled have been pretty well served by the current US system. A lot of us are skeptical of Obamacare. It doesn't help that it's partially funded by taxes on wheelchairs. If you think that federalized health insurance is a great idea because it's going to increase fairness for people with expensive conditions or those with conditions that limit income producing potential, you might want to ask one of those people what they think because you might be surprised.

People vote against their interest all the time in the US. It was the best trick of the two-pony political show : bring people to vote against their interest (like health care for example) out of ideology. Europe's MP would salivate jealously at such a pliable population and such a wonderful environment pretty good for collusion between politics and industry. While the sheeple moan about health care and vote against their interest, the industry rape three ways the US and get all sort of nasty law accepted without even a noise. Remember DMCA ? Wait for ACTA... This happens too in Europe, but to a lesser extent, as we don't mind taking the street, and our political landscape is much ,much varied than two right-wing party , one with a shade of liberalism and one with a shade of conservatism. There is no "left" in the US.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Didn't you know that all citizens are crooked rabble bent on ripping off industry when they are not sucking its generous tit dry? In order to keep such low life forms in check, Disney and Sony have no choice but to acquire powers of search and seizure superior to even that afforded law enforcement under the US Constitution. Link toACTA draft
    • CommentAuthorchipotle

Posted By: joshsA medical catastrophe could happen to anyone ant anytime. It is just the luck of the draw. It should not bankrupt people. In the meantime the cost of care in the US is making the US less and less competitive.

Medical bankruptcies are overstated. People don't go bankrupt because of medical expenses they do it because
    1 - Americans are optimistic and leverage to the hilt with expectation of steady income
    2 - when they develop an income limiting condition, they often can't cover their existing debt
    And debts over a person's ability to pay is exactly why we have bankruptcy laws. If people don't want to risk bankruptcy because of a disability, they can leverage less, save more, or buy disability insurance. These are all choices people can make today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: joshsDidn't you know that all citizens are crooked rabble bent on ripping off industry when they are not sucking its generous tit dry? In order to keep such low life forms in check, Disney and Sony have no choice but to acquire powers of search and seizure superior to even that afforded law enforcement under the US Constitution. Link toACTA draft

It is even worst than that. One of the provision from the ACTA treaty you linked allow them to ask law enforcement to stop an IMMINENT, but not yet done, copyright infringement.

Pre-thought / future crime is now a truth....
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: chipotle
    Posted By: joshsA medical catastrophe could happen to anyone ant anytime. It is just the luck of the draw. It should not bankrupt people. In the meantime the cost of care in the US is making the US less and less competitive.

Medical bankruptcies are overstated. People don't go bankrupt because of medical expenses they do it because
    1 - Americans are optimistic and leverage to the hilt with expectation of steady income
    2 - when they develop an income limiting condition, they often can't cover their existing debt
    And debts over a person's ability to pay is exactly why we have bankruptcy laws. If people don't want to risk bankruptcy because of a disability, they can leverage less, save more, or buy disability insurance. These are all choices people can make today.

Although I would agree partially with the fact that US do too much debt at a certain level of society, this is not fully true and even with sparing money you can quickly be bankrupted by a debilitaing illness. Some cancer treatment goes up to 100k$ per year as cost. If you earn 60K$ per year , after tax, and rent and food, even if you spared your whole life, that would quickly brankrupt you. And 60K$ is *above* the media income.

Now try that again with somebody earning 20 or 30K a year before tax, rant etc....

bankruptcy through health care is a high risk for anybody below median income.
    • CommentAuthorchipotle

And Joshs are you seriously claiming that because some people elect not to insure against the risk of medical expenses or reduced income, the *moral* response is to tax the wheelchairs of the people who do budget to pay their own way?
    • CommentAuthorchipotle

Quanten a person who had a $100k hospital bill, no assets, and no limitations on his ability to work would not file for bankruptcy. The hospital would pull some funds from its charity care budget, a payment plan would be worked out where the person would repay some fraction of the bill over time, and everyone would move on. If the person has assets then the hospital might try to collect against those. But if you have assets buy insurance. This type of bankruptcy you are imagining just does not happen.