Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018 edited

Gasoline-electric and diesel-electric hybrids are so good and all-electric cars are constantly improving. I have no interest in a hydrogen powered car. It doesn't seem to make much sense unless there is some special niche I don't know about.
    Driving on Titan perhaps.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018

There's more hydrogen in a gallon of petrol than there is in a gallon of liquid hydrogen at standard pressure.

Work it out for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

The main problem with hydrogen is storage.

Hydrides that readily and speedily absorb hydrogen are loathe to give it up quickly and those that give it up quickly take a while to absorb hydrogen.

Depending on the efficiency of the new process it might use sunlight to produces hydrogen from water and use a fuel cell to turn it back to water plus electricity but it will have to be bloody efficient to make that viable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Thin membrane plugs big hole in the hydrogen economy. May 17

https://newatlas.com/membrane-hydrogen-ammonia-distribution-csiro/49509/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018

So, where does the hydrogen come from? Ammonia.

So where does the ammonia come from? Methane--lots of it. (Read the 2nd comment in the article)

Haber-Bosch is great for producing ammonia for fertilizer, but as a hydrogen feedstock, not so much. Sort of like burning diamonds for heat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018

Seawater.

A New Material is Able to Create Hydrogen Fuel From Seawater.

https://futurism.com/a-new-material-is-able-to-create-hydrogen-fuel-from-seawater/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

If seawater photolysis ever becomes practical it solves a huge number of problems. Many efforts have been reported, but none ever seem to get past the NBF stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Of course it has a nasty toxic byproduct called fresh water, if only it made beer instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Second stage process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018

10 nanometer materials enable three times the conversion of heat to electricity.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/01/10-nanometer-materials-enable-three-times-the-conversion-of-heat-to-electricity.html
    Three times WHAT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

three times the amount of electricity that the material would have produced with larger grains.

There are three bushels of volts where there was previously only one.
    I'm more of a roods or pecks guy myself.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Liu says that while the results are based on simulations, researchers can achieve similar performance by synthesizing tin telluride and other topological materials, and adjusting their grain size using a nanostructuring technique.

It's not real; it's a simulation.

For the life of me, I don't know why a simulation merits newsworthiness. Build that damned thing, get some experimental results---and then publish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixFor the life of me, I don't know why a simulation merits newsworthiness. Build that damned thing, get some experimental results---and then publish.

I used to have furious arguments with a colleague who insisted on referring to "computer experiments" by which he meant trying things out in computer models. I maintain (still) that experiment implies reference to the real world. He could never see it.

Alas, I think his way of looking at things is beginning to prevail. Astrophysicists do experiments on stars all the time these days.
    Well, that's just plain lazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Sims.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2018

New water-splitting method could open path to hydrogen economy.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180201141512.htm
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2018

Perhaps it could, but probably won't.