Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorqqqq
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited

Duracell

General: Quick Poll: Your opinion regarding Steorn's claim to have violated CoE
    Bottom of Page

1 to 12 of 12

* CommentAuthorDuracell
    * CommentTime4 hours ago
    Just a quick poll to check the lie of the land following the mass bannings:

I think the options below cover most of the positions that people held prior to the bannings. If anyone would like a new option added, then let me know and I will edit this post to include it.

Which of the options below most accurately expresses your current opinion with regard to Steorn's claims:

A. Steorn have exactly what they claim - They have discovered a method to violate CoE and can therefore create energy (and therefore more universe) from nothing.

B. Steorn do not have what they claim - However, they have discovered a way to tap into a previously unknown abundantly available energy source. When this source has been identified and investigated CoE will be proven to hold.

C. Steorn do not have what they claim - They encountered an anomaly, and have been unsuccessfully trying to exploit this anomaly ever since then.

D. Steorn do not have what they claim - They encountered an anomaly, which will most likely turn out to be a measurement error.

E. Steorn do not have what they claim - They encountered an anomaly. Later they discovered that the anomaly was a measurement error. Now they are only pretending to have something.

F. Steorn do not have what they claim - They never did. The 14 million that they raised from their investors was the purpose of the exercise.

G. I have no opinion yet as to whether or not Steorn have what they claim, because I have not yet seen any evidence on which to base my opinion. I would be capable of forming an opinion later, if some strong circumstantial evidence were to emerge one way or the other.

H. I have no opinion yet as to whether or not Steorn have what they claim, because I have not yet seen any evidence on which to base my opinion. I will only form an opinion after all of the facts have been determined. No amount of circumstantial evidence will sway me one way or the other until then.

I. None of the above.

OK, I will start the ball rolling by choosing F.

Thanks.

Duracell.
    • CommentAuthorqqqq

J. Seamus and Sean, full of Guinness and suffering from motion sickness, observed Orbo spinning and afterwards they registered an energy gain.

"OK, I will start the ball rolling by choosing F."---Sean certainly can't!
    I answered already on the other side. It's 'R' for Reptoids.
    • CommentAuthorzackson
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009

It's 'Z' for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • CommentAuthorzackson

It's 'Q' because Q sounds funny
    E sharp or F flat
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Almost certainly A or B.

Although it is remotely possible that they are doing a study of the psychology of true believers and pathological sceptics.

I mean under contract to some university - Steorn's day to day business is writing ads for department stores.
    G - but qualified with: I would need some pretty convincing evidence. Circumstantial may not be sufficient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

XYZ

Sean believes he has something but he has a screw loose. Steorn employees are silently laughing at him while drawing a pay cheque. Couple of others in management know it's bogus but draw a pay cheque and flip initial penny stock for thousands of Euros a share to gullible new investors. They keep a low profile so if the shit hits the fan they can deny involvement and let Sean take the fall. Sean won't take a fall because he believes that has something but he has a screw loose. Steorn employees are silently laughing...

... this is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friend. Some people...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinE sharp or F flat

E sharp IS F flat

(ETA, on a keyboard, anyway)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHedyL

The "M" is for madness, you know,
    How Sean's eyes show a definite glow
    And even his hair
    Enkindles the atmosphere
    Each time he discusses his fabled Orbo!
    Posted By: Angus

E sharp IS F flat

Take another look.
    You will find that "E sharp" is F natural, and "F flat" is E natural.

On a piano keyboard, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHedyL

The "O" is for Orby, my friend,
    Toiling in a wheel without end,
    His fate worse than Sisyphis,
    Unless some brave physicist
    Tells Sean Newton he cannot transcend!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokin

E sharp IS F flat

Whoops. Outsmarted myself. Easy for me to do.

E sharp IS F flat

Now that that's settled, it seems necessary to point out that, in contrast to the well-tempered piano keyboard, instruments (and voices) that are able to play in "just" intonation, like fretless strings, most woodwinds and horns and so forth, will indeed make a distinction between notes such as "F flat" and "E natural", depending on the key scale of the tune being played.

And then there's Indian classical music, which divides the octave into 41 or 42 microtones, IIRC....and is almost completely transmitted by ear rather than written scores...
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

It's modulated from D to E and become dissonant
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

E sharp IS F flat

Now that that's settled, it seems necessary to point out that, in contrast to the well-tempered piano keyboard, instruments (and voices) that are able to play in "just" intonation, like fretless strings, most woodwinds and horns and so forth, will indeed make a distinction between notes such as "F flat" and "E natural", depending on the key scale of the tune being played.

And then there's Indian classical music, which divides the octave into 41 or 42 microtones, IIRC....and is almost completely transmitted by ear rather than written scores...

I know. I used to play horn. I could play many notes between f flat and e sharp and some of them were sometimes right. As you presumably know, it's traditional to forgive the horns. (But never the violas.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited

Posted By: ThicketXYZ

Sean believes he has something but he has a screw loose. Steorn employees are silently laughing at him while drawing a pay cheque. Couple of others in management know it's bogus but draw a pay cheque and flip initial penny stock for thousands of Euros a share to gullible new investors. They keep a low profile so if the shit hits the fan they can deny involvement and let Sean take the fall. Sean won't take a fall because he believes that has something but he has a screw loose. Steorn employees are silently laughing...

D,E,F all at the same time ... depending on who you project on
    (Sean may end up in the mental hospital, and the rest of management in prison)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Not F.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Interestingly small number of people choosing B. I expected more.