Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited

Posted By: evolvealreadyThe one who prides himself on being above the insults is tossing ethnic slurs?

I think Frank must have been overindulging in that vile reconstituted Thames water they serve round his parts. Presumably he can just go to his local priest tomorrow and three hail Marys later - all will be forgiven. (Just remember Frank - there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over).
    • CommentAuthornova
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

Frank, for your information.
    < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_energy >
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: Arde
    Posted By: Grimer(edited in favor of good taste)

I could be wrong, but I thought he said at one time that he was French.

The frequent use of singular when plural would be more appropriate seems to indicate that his first language is French, or perhaps he learned English from a French speaker.
    Regardless, it does not bother me at all; I understand what Quanten is saying quite well and I find the "accent" rather charming.
    Frank's comment betrays a rather surprising bigotry, IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorArde

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: GrimerI know you're a kraut

The frequent use of singular when plural would be more appropriate seems to indicate that his first language is French, or perhaps he learned English from a French speaker.
    Regardless, it does not bother me at all; I understand what Quanten is saying quite well and I find the "accent" rather charming.
    Frank's comment betrays a rather surprising bigotry, IMHO.

I doubt that Franks a bigot. The "kraut" expression is probably just a throwback to an earlier time. I don't think most people are truly offended, they just feign political correctness in order to rant.
    Posted By: ArdeThe "kraut" expression is probably just a throwback to an earlier time.

Something he picked up during the "Blitz."
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Posted By: ArdeI don't think most people are truly offended, they just feign political correctness in order to rant.

Well said. And they are coming out of the woodwork right on schedule.

In any case, I thought the expression: "I know you're a X and we have to make allowances, but....." was a good old bit of British humour, hallowed by centuries of use. Didn't Henry VIII say that to Anne of Cleves in his rough-humoured way?
    Posted By: couldbe
    Posted By: ArdeI don't think most people are truly offended, they just feign political correctness in order to rant.

Well said. And they are coming out of the woodwork right on schedule.

In any case, I thought the expression: "I know you're a X and we have to make allowances, but....." was a good old bit of British humour, hallowed by centuries of use. Didn't Henry VIII say that to Anne of Cleves in his rough-humoured way?
    I took offense, and I don't believe what I said could be construed as a rant. Couldbe is a well established bigot, so I expected him to jump in there.
    Whenever you read the words "political correctness" you can pretty much substitute the words "a sensitivity to what is right that I don't share."
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

The original proposal for the Kinetica demo would be fine -- demo some spinny thing and let Dr. Mike or Scott Little take a screwdriver to it. Won't happen of course -- not any more than it did at Kinetica.

I love the way Steorn and their believers implicitly blames the skeptics for their failures -- stuff like... well, even if we showed a spinny thing, nobody would believe it. Well... so f'n what? Show one if you can and let's see. Of course you can't because there never was any spinny thing that worked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Posted By: maryyugo
    I love the way Steorn and their believers implicitly blames the skeptics for their failures -- stuff like... well, even if we showed a spinny thing, nobody would believe it. Well... so f'n what? Show one if you can and let's see. Of course you can't because there never was any spinny thing that worked.

Well, I think a spinny thing that works will be domoed, but I don't expect anyone to believe it is OU until it is independently tested.

Steorn has its own mysterious agenda, so who knows when that will be?

But just showing the gizmo spinning will be good publicity for Steorn, which I assume they want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

He must be a Frog then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: saner
    Posted By: Grimer@ Quanten
    I know you're a kraut and we have to make allowances but you could make a bit more of an effort.

Kraut? Frank you are a puerile idiot.

What's wrong with kraut. My goodness we are politically correct aren't we. It's a term of endearment where I come from. You'd think I'd called him a Nazi.
    I'd hate to point out some of the "terms of endearment" that are used in the local vernacular. If I spoke them out loud, I'd probably get killed -- because I am of the wrong color to use them.

None of which makes it right or proper to use such terms, even in endearment.

I refer interested readers to Sam Keen's excellent exegesis of this issue: Faces of the Enemy: Reflections of the Hostile Imagination (1986, Harper & Row, San Francisco, ISBN 0-06-250472-X), in which Keen explains that the use of such terms as "Kraut" are designed to dehumanize the enemy, thus making them easier to attack and kill. Even when used in jest or "endearment" they are denigrating and belligerent.
    Ever the academic, eh, Al? ;-) Most of us would've just quoted Fawlty Towers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: alsetalokinI'd hate to point out some of the "terms of endearment" that are used in the local vernacular. If I spoke them out loud, I'd probably get killed -- because I am of the wrong color to use them.

None of which makes it right or proper to use such terms, even in endearment.

I refer interested readers to Sam Keen's excellent exegesis of this issue: Faces of the Enemy: Reflections of the Hostile Imagination (1986, Harper & Row, San Francisco, ISBN 0-06-250472-X), in which Keen explains that the use of such terms as "Kraut" are designed to dehumanize the enemy, thus making them easier to attack and kill. Even when used in jest or "endearment" they are denigrating and belligerent.
    Just right for this forum then, aren't they. Perhaps we should have a collection of all the denigrating and belligerent terms that have been used on this forum. Or is it only racial terms specified by the PC brigade that count.
    Posted By: GrimerJust right for this forum then, aren't they. Perhaps we should have a collection of all the denigrating and belligerent terms that have been used on this forum. Or is it only racial terms specified by the PC brigade that count.

You're such an ass. Or is that a mule?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

It's a donkey - but not a nodding donkey.
    Posted By: GrimerJust right for this forum then, aren't they. Perhaps we should have a collection of all the denigrating and belligerent terms that have been used on this forum. Or is it only racial terms specified by the PC brigade that count.
    Nope, most of us are guilty of belligerence and insults. This kind is just noteworthy because it is aimed at a national or racial group instead of the opponent of the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Well, I think a spinny thing that works will be domoed, but I don't expect anyone to believe it is OU until it is independently tested.
    I very much doubt it. Too many people would be standing on Steorn's doorstep the next day demanding to see it, test it, or that it be submitted to proper testing.

Steorn has its own mysterious agenda, so who knows when that will be?
    Nothing mysterious about Steorn. Unless you're unaware of other free energy frauds -- for example Mylow, Tilley, Goldes and of course the inimitable Dennis Lee.

But just showing the gizmo spinning will be good publicity for Steorn, which I assume they want.
    Ah man. No comment. That statement is too far gone to even try to address it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: Grimer

He must be a Frog then.

"There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid."
    -John Fowles
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: saner
    Posted By: Grimer

He must be a Frog then.

"There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid."
    -John Fowles

Which race do Frogs and Krauts belong to then?