Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Based on these comments they belong to the intelligent you OTH seem to want to be included in the other catagory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009

Posted By: Terry LingleBased on these comments they belong to the intelligent you OTH seem to want to be included in the other catagory.

•  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited

Posted By: Arde
    Posted By: GrimerI know you're a kraut

I could be wrong, but I thought he said at one time that he was French.

Grimer is indeed wrong. Roughly of 600 km too far to the east. I am a french , and I live in germany. But sometimes I get confused as I speak 2 foreign languages during the day (english/german) and nearly never french, but mix up grammar, spelling, and colloquial expression from each languages together. Gott sei dank, I don't live in japan...

ETA: I do not care anymore too much on people finding my spelling or grammar bad, mostly because they are at least partially correct, and really, they waste their time: they aren't many people speaking a perfect oxfordian english here around. At least I do not confuse "they're" with "their" or "you're" with "your", or similars...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: Grimer(edited in favor of good taste)

The frequent use of singular when plural would be more appropriate seems to indicate that his first language is French, or perhaps he learned English from a French speaker.

Now that is an interresting one. I am always open to learn something new :). Can you point to me one example of such cases ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

Oh cool... figuring out someone's native tongue by how they write.

For the linguists out there, try and guess my native tongue. No fair if you already know since I've actually posted that on the Steorn boards.
    Posted By: Quanten

The frequent use of singular when plural would be more appropriate seems to indicate that his first language is French, or perhaps he learned English from a French speaker.

Now that is an interresting one. I am always open to learn something new :). Can you point to me one example of such cases ?

Here's one:
    http://www.moletrap.co.uk/forum/?CommentID=5130

I'm not nitpicking; it does not bother me at all, as I said.
    But it's just something I've noticed in Q's posts.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Which race do Frogs and Krauts belong to then?
    Those aren't "race" (whatever exactly THAT means). They're foods. Not particularly tasty foods but foods.
    Posted By: Quanten

And in the post just above the quoted one, you use a plural where a singular form is required.
    No biggie, like I said I find the French speech patterns and accents pleasing to listen to, and I just imagine you speaking your posts, so I don't mind at all and I think I always understand your meaning.
    Those who are nitpicking about it are narrowminded and probably don't live in a very multiculti society.
    Posted By: ThicketOh cool... figuring out someone's native tongue by how they write.

For the linguists out there, try and guess my native tongue. No fair if you already know since I've actually posted that on the Steorn boards.

Not so much from how they write, per se, but rather from what are technically called "disfluencies." For example the singular/plural/French thing, or word ordering in sentences conforming more to Germanic than Latin languages. Or both, as sometimes in Quanten's posts.

Since you exhibit very few disfluencies, it's very difficult to guess your native language, since you write English so well. I might be able to venture a guess if I heard you speak.

(and I think I recall your posting, so I won't be guessing)
    Posted By: maryyugo
    Those aren't "race" (whatever exactly THAT means). They're foods. Not particularly tasty foods but foods.

You must not have a very good Cook at your ranch.
    Frog legs, properly prepared, can be delicious, and there's nothing like a good sauerkraut on a reverse Polish sausage.
    deleted
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I admit I have never had really fresh frog legs. The problems with the ones I had were that they were clearly over the hill. But I think I prefer chicken. Yeah sauerkraut is OK. Not sure most sausage is technically fit for human consumption though. The commercial variety is a synthetic concoction especially designed to contain huge amounts of saturated fat, sodium, nitrites (think "mutagen") and even corn syrup (sugar). Not much there to promote nutrition. Like they say, don't watch it being made either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009

My native tongue is German. I guess that makes me a Kraut (with bratwurst please). It's unlikely that anyone hearing me speak would know that either. The only time my German accent shows is when I speak Dutch. The Dutch are quite amused that a totally, non-accented English speaker speaks Dutch with a German accent.

My facial features would give me away. While travelling in Europe in non-German areas, I've had people start talking to me in German because of how I looked.

I've had frog legs a couple of times in Montreal and the French part of Winnipeg. They were fine, but not something I'd go out of my way to get. I keep thinking of a cartoon where sad-faced, legless frogs leave a hospital on crutches.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrflora

Posted By: ThicketOh cool... figuring out someone's native tongue by how they write.

Esperanto. The tipoff, you see, lies in the phrase "try AND guess". Native English speakers know that grammatically this should be "try TO guess"; however, the AND is common usage in Esperanto.

Regards,
    M.R.F.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

Heh... Esperanto. I tried to learn that once, but there aren't many that speak it in Canada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: ThicketHeh... Esperanto. I tried to learn that once, but there aren't many that speak it in Canada.

Some. George Soros the American businessman is a native speaker, apparently. THAT must be a very small group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: mrflora

Esperanto. The tipoff, you see, lies in the phrase "try AND guess". Native English speakers know that grammatically this should be "try TO guess"; however, the AND is common usage in Esperanto.

Regards,
    M.R.F.

My Esperanto is too weak to tell if you're serious. However, try and guess would be the normal way to say it in English where I live.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Soros is Hungarian. I've heard him called a cunninglinguist.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009 edited

The frogs and krauts are not the same race as the poms or the septics, surely?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: maryyugo

iNFIDEL ! HERETIC ! Sauerkraut prepared with white whine and smoked sausage are one of the best gourmet meal you can quickly prepare AND still be very healthy and tasty :P.