Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorQuanten
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: ThicketOh cool... figuring out someone's native tongue by how they write.

For the linguists out there, try and guess my native tongue. No fair if you already know since I've actually posted that on the Steorn boards.

Not so much from how they write, per se, but rather from what are technically called "disfluencies." For example the singular/plural/French thing, or word ordering in sentences conforming more to Germanic than Latin languages. Or both, as sometimes in Quanten's posts.

Since you exhibit very few disfluencies, it's very difficult to guess your native language, since you write English so well. I might be able to venture a guess if I heard you speak.

(and I think I recall your posting, so I won't be guessing)

Some colleague of mine, says I am the only guy they know, which is fluent in 3 languages, but in the same sentence :). Frandeuglich they call it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: Thicket
    My facial features would give me away. While travelling in Europe in non-German areas, I've had people start talking to me in German because of how I looked.

The "lederhosen" were more of an hint I think

/DUCK
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket

LOL (Lach out luid), Quanten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009 edited

Hij lacht je uit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009 edited

Posted By: Thicket

My facial features would give me away. While travelling in Europe in non-German areas, I've had people start talking to me in German because of how I looked. ...

Well, if you will insist on keeping that toothbrush moustache, what do you expect.
    Ooops, err, perhaps not. He was Austrian wasn't he.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThicket
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009

I think Groucho Marx was American.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009 edited

Posted By: ThicketI think Groucho Marx was American.
    I always thought it odd that Groucho's 'tash was painted on him. May be a hangover from vaudeville or something.
    Posted By: Grimer
    I always thought it odd that Groucho's 'tash was painted on him. May be a hangover from vaudeville or something.

The rest of the story:
    "Marx was asked to do the greasepaint moustache once more for You Bet Your Life, but refused, opting instead to grow a real one, which he wore for the rest of his life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx#Moustache.2C_eyebrows_and_walk
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009

Posted By: overconfident
    Posted By: Grimer

The rest of the story:
    "Marx was asked to do the greasepaint moustache once more for You Bet Your Life, but refused, opting instead to grow a real one, which he wore for the rest of his life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx#Moustache.2C_eyebrows_and_walk

Fascinating account of his life. I read the lot. Wiki is wonderful for things like that.
    • CommentAuthorCrastney
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

I was confused by what Q said....
    Posted By: QuantenCrastney really, I do not know if you are jsut an example of Poe's [who?] law and in reality parodying a believer, if so, I congratulate you : this is indeed one of those terribbly stupid and thoughtless believer like statement that show that somebody has no idea on physic [about Physics?]. As said multiple time there ar3e so many way to power remotely something [something remotely], a video [would] prove next to nothing.

•  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009

Posted By: CrastneyThey are also planning on making the demo available to actually go and see, live - a public demo. members of the public will be able to see it spinning, in real life. and there will be replications.

Where did you hear that the demo will be public, and that there will be replications?

My understanding of the forum wisdom is that any spinning gizmo has to be a fake, so I do not see how it could be replicated.

Even making it public would not be too smart since somebody might spot the fishing line.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

"They are also planning on making the demo available to actually go and see, live - a public demo. members of the public will be able to see it spinning, in real life. "
    ---
    That's not what it says on their website - it says there will be a public demo via a live video feed.
    Posted By: Crastney
    but anyway, that was rather my point - a video on it's own wouldn't prove anything, it'd have to be one showing maybe a digital clock timer, so that it's less likely to be a short length of film repeated, and other things, like someone walking into shot with today's newspaper, every so often. They are also planning on making the demo available to actually go and see, live - a public demo. members of the public will be able to see it spinning, in real life. and there will be replications. in other words, lots of different forms of verification, each on their own not necessarily proof, but taken together add up to a very believable proof that they have something extraordinary.

Taken together they would just be proof that they are halfway competent fraudsters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Posted By: hairykrishna
    Posted By: Crastneyand there will be replications.

Taken together they would just be proof that they are halfway competent fraudsters.

Even if the gizmo is replicated? Do you think Sean will have his brother-in-law do the replication?
    Posted By: couldbe

Even if the gizmo is replicated? Do you think Sean will have his brother-in-law do the replication?

No, I think that the 'replications' will not materialize. I didn't actually realise that Sean said that this would happen; is it part of his 'end of the year' promises? Maybe it will be replications like the university tests with only the word of a liar to demonstrate that they actually happened?

Obviously I could be wrong and the replications will actually be carried out by reputable labs. This would be some evidence that they have what they claim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcouldbe

Posted By: couldbe

No, I think that the 'replications' will not materialize. I didn't actually realise that Sean said that this would happen; is it part of his 'end of the year' promises? Maybe it will be replications like the university tests with only the word of a liar to demonstrate that they actually happened?

Obviously I could be wrong and the replications will actually be carried out by reputable labs. This would be some evidence that they have what they claim.

No, it's what Crastney said would be happening. You were replying to him so I thought you were including that.
    • CommentAuthorCrastney
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

Yep, whatever else one might say about the lads, "incompetent" isn't one of them. They are smirking all the way to the bank, and won't dare show anything fake "running", because they know that the game would then be up. Still, if they somehow do, and their video demo is "dark" enough, it might take some time for a thorough debunking, if past experience is any indication.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Yes, they aren't very sophisticated. Neither are their investors, so they don't need to be

"they convince 3 (blind mice) engineers"
    --
    They convinced them of what exactly? That perpetual motion was possible? That fuel-less motors are possible? Didn't hear any of them say them were convinced of that. Not sure I heard any of them use the word "convinced" at all. Where are the 3 blind mice now? Where have they published? Where is the data?

"they convince hundreds that the failed demo was actually just that"
    ---
    Oh really? Even if they did, there are millions of idiots out there, convincing a few hundred is hardly a feat, and means nothing.