Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2018

How would you do that anyway?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I don't know--but it seems that if you could bring a person pretty close back to zero, you could also retrain him as a functioning member of society, without his bearing the burden of memory.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Which particular bits of stuff would you stick in his head to make hir "function"?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Send hir to pre-school to learn some social skills and basic language.

I don't know if it's possible or even practical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2018 edited

There would be aversion from such a zombie. Who would hire hir here?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: AsterixSend hir to pre-school to learn some social skills and basic language.

I don't know if it's possible or even practical.

What's to say that you wouldn't end up with the same sort of problematic individual?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Are you saying that criminal behavior is genetic?

If so, sounds like an excellent argument for eugenics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2018 edited

Recent thinking says much of character is inborn. Why would that be more of an argument for eugenics than the existence of genetic diseases?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Either way, with what would you ‘program” hir for the desired result?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Whatever would please hem.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Posted By: loreman
    Posted By: AsterixI was thinking about our prison population and the inhuman way we deal with people.

Instead of life imprisonment or putting someone to death, how difficult would it be to wipe a person's accumulated memory, essentially starting them from ground zero?

May as well shoot them.

They would prefer that as well.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusRecent thinking says much of character is inborn. Why would that be more of an argument for eugenics than the existence of genetic diseases?

Genetic diseases don't threaten the average person's well-being. A person who was programmed to be violently anti-social might.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

A perfectly normal person's desire to drive a car from A to B might threaten somebody. An allegedly normal person's insistence on the "right" to carry a weapon in public does threaten the average person's well-being.

And messing with the gene pool has unforeseeable consequences. So does the slippery-slope idea of pre-emptively punishing future crimes.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Woah, there. A mass murderer is clearly a greater threat than someone who jaywalks. A Hitler is worse than a Gandhi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes, but your eugenics would then have to have the resolution to detect antisocial potential for jaywalking from antisocial potential for mass murder.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Just so--there's no point in applying 1930s technology when we can sequence genomes.
    I'd settle for a third set of teeth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Woah, there.
    We can sequence genomes, but we are pretty far from being able to predict a Hitler or a jaywalker from them. Anyway, it's quite likely not possible to do so. The evidence is that much of behaviour is inborn, not that it originates from genes.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Okay, I'm being dense here. If the human genome is sufficient to describe an organism, what else is there that can be "inborn"? Are you talking about factors that arise in utero?
    One of these days someone will explain epigenetics to me in a way I can understand. Oh, and the reality of Lamarkianism.