Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

As someone whose had some experience programming AI for computer games (hobbyist), I can tell you that there is no mystical force at play here.

Birds, fish and the like have simple brains that make simple (and similar) decisions based on stimuli.

Humans, with complex brains make complex (and divergent) decisions based on stimuli.

I've seen this behavior in the AI-actors I've programmed. The most rudimentary 'intelligence' is flocking behavior as described by the BOIDS program. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boids) In that method, each actor (ie: bird, fish) makes an individual decision that is INDEPENDENT of the decisions of all other actors, yet they all move in a swarm.

More complex AIs that I have programmed often deviate from their swarm mentality to make life-like and interesting decisions. With increased computational complexity (ie: bigger brain), you get more complex behaviors. When you add in the concept of "memory," the whole picture becomes far more involved.

The reason all humans don't behave exactly the same in a given situation is because of complex decision making based on memory, where as creatures with pea-sized brains tend to make "rule-based" decisions like the one outlined in BOIDS.

Aaaah fuck it. We're all intertwined by magical forces. And unicorns and shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

Posted By: Angus"our hypothesis implies that each bird influences all of the other
    through the adjacency matrix, no matter what the configuration
    of the birds. Of course, we are making idealizations in this
    hypothesis."

I would say...

What would you say? This just means that nearby birds have a greater influence on each other than more distant birds. Quite likely, given that you aren't hypothesising a telepathic overall dream-state for the flock.

Occam's razor. If flock behaviour can be predicted by simple assumptions based on known senses, we don't need to hypothesise extra ones.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Lodewijkbunch of new age crap snipped

Jason, an 11 year old Star Child who says he is not from this world, and that neither are we.

From the book Walking Between Worlds - Belonging To None, written by his mother Ann Andrews.
    Who is more addled: An 11 year old who simply declares he is not from this world, or the adults who believe such unevidenced bull shit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

In "New Age" bookstores all across North America, you will find shelves filled with warm and fuzzy stories just like the one about Jason. The remaining shelves will have incense and healing crystals. The central theme of these books seems to be psychics, children, cognitively challenged types, and animals, all communicating with the disembodied spirits that will lead us into the coming age of peace and enlightenment. Any references to science are usually laughably bad. In fact, I have laughed out loud a few times in such bookstores, sometimes getting me a disapproving look from the person at the counter.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Lodewijk
    Posted By: alsetalokinLet's wait and see what Ann writes about Jason in, say, six years, when he experiences his first arrest for possession of a controlled substance, and makes his bones by shanking a rival gangster in the tank.

That quote was from Jason when he was 11. But his mother also writes about many other things that happend when he was much older.
    Since you have already a hard time taking this serious, I won't push it any further. He is a grownup now, doing things you wouldn't believe possible. That is also written in a second book about him later.

And he is only one of many. They just don't walk the street with a sign saying: "I am a Star Child". They have a hard time enough with a family that doesn't understand them until much later that family has informed themselves of this new phenomena. And this might not always even be the case.

Posted By: maryyugoJust what we needed. Another wide eyed brainless troll.

I knew that accusation would come up. I know the viciousness of the ego, who thinks its life depends on keeping us down in the dust: "You are but a member of a race of predators. Don't even dare to let any subconscious memories come up in you! You are not worthy of such lofty re-cognitions!"

Since it is not my intent to upset anyone -make anyone feel anger- I will refrain from posting here any further if what I share with you robs you of your peace of mind.
    You want to do this the easy way or the scanner way?
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: DerrickAIn "New Age" bookstores all across North America, you will find shelves filled with warm and fuzzy stories just like the one about Jason. The remaining shelves will have incense and healing crystals. The central theme of these books seems to be psychics, children, cognitively challenged types, and animals, all communicating with the disembodied spirits that will lead us into the coming age of peace and enlightenment. Any references to science are usually laughably bad. In fact, I have laughed out loud a few times in such bookstores, sometimes getting me a disapproving look from the person at the counter.
    Or it will lead to the end of civilization as the Myans.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited

Posted By: scienceI quite enjoy Lodewijk posts. It's interesting to me just how out of touch with reality people can get. Like this Ann Andrews lady, for example. I feel sorry for her son, who now thinks he is a psychic, multi-dimensional Indigo Child alien-half-breed with healing powers. It's like someone reached into a hat full of bullshit New Age ideas and grabbed a fistful of them:

Amazon
    This is the story of Jason, my Indigo child... Alien abduction typically runs in families -
    along with mental illness. Is that correlation a big surprise?

Coming soon to a theater near you:

A mexican village is terrorized by the two rival groups that control it in a reign of mental violence: The Peyote dealers and the Scientologists, when a tall stranger rides into town. Samuel L. Bronkowitz presents: "Fistful of Healing Crystals".
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: BigOilRep

Ann Andrews came from a long line of abductees.

lol
    Yes, she's been probed more times than Cartman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Posted By: joshs

A mexican village is terrorized by the two rival groups that control it in a reign of mental violence: The Peyote dealers and the Scientologists, when a tall stranger rides into town. Samuel L. Bronkowitz presents: "Fistful of Healing Crystals".

Sounds almost like the plot for the 1981 movie "Scanners"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: LodewijkAnd I had more direct experiences that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt to me things are very different than they appear to be.

Hold on. How do you know "things are very different than they appear to be"?

If something "appears" one way to you, how can you claim to perceive it another way? Sounds like textbook cognitive dissonance, or maybe just plain psychosis.
    • CommentAuthorLodewijk

Has anyone here read this book? Can anyone here comment on the actual content of it; what Jason and his family experienced? What he actually said even though it was way beyond his age and general public knowledge? Or can we only sneer -without having read it- assuming that it can't be true, so why even bother?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: DerrickA
    Posted By: joshs

Sounds almost like the plot for the 1981 movie "Scanners"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA
    I already warned Lode that we could do this the easy way or the scanner way. I think he might be feeling a headache about now.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: LodewijkHas anyone here read this book? Can anyone here comment on the actual content of it; what Jason and his family experienced? What he actually said even though it was way beyond his age and general public knowledge? Or can we only sneer -without having read it- assuming that it can't be true, so why even bother?
    If your nose starts to bleed, you really better take care.
    • CommentAuthorcwatters

Flocking simulator (Java required)
    http://www.lalena.com/AI/Flock/Flock.aspx
    • CommentAuthorscience

Posted By: LodewijkHas anyone here read this book? Can anyone here comment on the actual content of it; what Jason and his family experienced? What he actually said even though it was way beyond his age and general public knowledge? Or can we only sneer -without having read it- assuming that it can't be true, so why even bother?

Do you honestly believe this kid is a half-breed Alien, who has been abducted many times, who has psychic and "multidimensional" powers, who can heal people and save the Earth?

Because that's apparently what the book is about. A psychic half-breed alien with multi-dimensional healing powers, sent here to save the Earth. Do you really believe this is true?
    • CommentAuthorLodewijk

Dear josh,

Yes, I'm rolling on the floor with a terrible headache. Please stop, I can't take it anymore... : D
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You commented on it. Your comments were quite sufficient for me to sneer at it. (Thank you.)

Remember William of Ockham.
    • CommentAuthorLodewijk

science,

It is not only about that one particular person. Nor about all those who without knowing each other are experiencing similar things. It is about the potential in all of us.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: LodewijkDear josh,

Yes, I'm rolling on the floor with a terrible headache. Please stop, I can't take it anymore... : D
    I'm sorry but that is not in my purview. I am only the messenger.
    • CommentAuthorscience

Lodewijk,

This person is claiming their son is a psychic half-breed alien, and that she comes 'from a long line of abductees'.

Do you believe this to be true?