Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2019 edited

(Hubble revisits Saturn's neighbor.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2019 edited

Posted By: aber0der(Hubble revisits Saturn's neighbor.)

Why not "Mars's neighbor"? Mars is closer to Jupiter than Saturn. Do you harbour some unexamined hatred toward the rocky inner planets?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2019

I've processed some of the old Pioneer X tapes of Jupiter for friends. Well, you could tell that it was round and had a spot... Obviously, imaging has gotten better. in the intervening 45 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Hubble is not that new either. Maybe someone should troll Elon Musk into space telescopy.
    No need. Personal visits are now on the cards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

To Jupiter?!
    You dare to doubt the capabilities of Starship???
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

No - I was just wondering what you'd do after you landed.
    The context was ofc telescopic examination of Jupiter.

But by the by, there's warnings issued about the high radiation environment around Jupiter's moons, and I wonder if that's only on the side facing Jupiter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNo need. Personal visits are now on the cards.

Please clarify "personal [telescopic examination] visits" in the context of rocketships.
    It's something called "a closer look"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And cheaper than a better telescope I assume?
    If we find nothing there, this gives us a profound result: no one has come to look at the life of Earth, which has been evident in our atmosphere’s spectral lines over interstellar distances for over a billion years.

Lurkers
    https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2019/09/04/looking-for-lurkers-a-new-way-to-do-seti/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019 edited

Yabut, in a billion years, Earth may not even exist, much less harbor life (aging Sol). I suspect that life in any form is a fleeting phenomenon when viewed on a galactic scale. Early on, Venus probably had conditions very similar to that of Earth--then Sol got older.
    Yabut surely this is an archaeological observation, not a futuristic one.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019

I'm not sure that I see the distinction, other than one's frame of reference.
    Surely the point being made is that Earth strutted its stuff for a long time, visible for many lightyears, and so the search for Lurker remnants is a proxy for the search for ET, whether or not the originators still exist to this present day.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019

I'd submit that we don't really know what a "long time" really is. How long will it be before Titan has life and Earth doesn't?
    2.78 billion years, give or take.
    We Discovered Another Exciting Potentially Habitable Planet Close to Us
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkZkJsO2Z4