Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

"the best candidate for habitability that we know right now"
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614298/water-vapor-has-been-spotted-on-a-habitable-zone-planet-110-light-years-away/

But 110 light-years away
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2019

That's the problem, innit? You need water in liquid form, a magnetosphere and a non-toxic atmosphere.

Venus and Mars probably had liquid water at some time in the past. The line between "habitable" and "hostile" is very very fine.
    Reminds me of ...oh nvm
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019

Haven't you noticed that things seem to be more distant?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Al, I used to really enjoy your astrophotography. Anything new to post for us to admire?
    Posted By: DuracellAl, I used to really enjoy your astrophotography. Anything new to post for us to admire?

Thank you, but no, nothing new. The weather has been unrelentingly lousy for AP, and I am also having a strange problem with my Celestron EdgeHD scope. There is some grease running out of the corrective lens assembly and getting onto the main mirror. It does not noticeably affect visual observations but causes diffraction that messes up longer exposure photography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

That’s a pity. Here’s hoping that the weather will improve for you soon and that you will find an easy solution to your scope problem.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Hear hear!
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2019

Wow! That is some pretty durn good shooting there.

Between the clouds and the trees, I've only gotten one good look at Saturn this season. Astronomically it's a great time to view the ringed planet; as you can see from the video the tilt of the planet is just about perfect for viewing the rings from Earth. But I have a big 100 foot tall pecan tree that blocks my view of much of the ecliptic to the south, and the typical Texas autumnal "late night and early morning cloudiness" takes care of the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Move.
    chop it
    Posted By: TrimMove.

That will happen, inevitably, eventually, but the cause won't be astronomical.

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanchop it

Believe it or not, the city won't let us. It has to fall of its own accord, and when it does it will probably destroy the house.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2019 edited

There’s Growing Evidence That the Universe Is Connected by Giant Structures

Scientists are finding that galaxies can move with each other across huge distances, and against the predictions of basic cosmological models. The reason why could change everything we think we know about the universe.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmj7pw/theres-growing-evidence-that-the-universe-is-connected-by-giant-structures
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: TrimMove.

That will happen, inevitably, eventually, but the cause won't be astronomical.

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanchop it

Believe it or not, the city won't let us. It has to fall of its own accord, and when it does it will probably destroy the house.

Build an observatory in the top of the tree, with a rope and pulley lift system.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Posted By: loremanBuild an observatory in the top of the tree, with a rope and pulley lift system.

But add some ginormous flying buttresses to minimize the swaying.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: oak
    Posted By: loremanBuild an observatory in the top of the tree, with a rope and pulley lift system.

But add some ginormous flying buttresses to minimize the swaying.

Surely the software can compensate for that!