Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2020

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2020

Mostly not visible from the Americas. Too bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2020

The First Known Interstellar Comet Might Survive Our Solar System After All.

https://www.sciencealert.com/interstellar-comet-2i-borisov-may-survive-its-solar-system-visit-after-all
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2020

The CHIME radio telescope operates in remote British Columbia, far from civilization’s incessant electronic thrum.

Not +that+ remote! I even heard of a guy near here who is going to get indoor plumbing installed next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2020

Real men piss outdoors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2020

Yeah - he is a bit of a wimp.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanRare Sun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQKJ41eDTs

good find, thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020

I suspect the real sticking point is evolving from complex life to intelligent (symbol-using) life. And then surviving technological and environmental disaster.
    I suspect the survival rate, eeyore quality of life in general, with an absence of significant technology, would not be so great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2020

This massive and exceptionally bright blue star was hypothesized to exist based on astronomical observations made between 2001 and 2011, but as of 2019, it is no longer detectable.

Wouldn't that mean it is hypothesised to have disappeared?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2020 edited

The sun, 10 year time-lapse.

(no spoilers please)
    SDO is still my favorite satellite.

And old Sol my favorite star. Even if he gets a little crotchety in middle age. As long as his flares don't start flaring up much we'll be all right.
    Posted By: pcstru(no spoilers please)
    +2 lol
    Every once in a while in there you see a starquake that ripples across large areas. That is pretty scary to me, even more than the occasional X-class flare. It is as if just a little more shaking would cause the whole thing to fall apart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2020

It's a fail-safe design. It falls together.
    So they say. But I think we have decided that the centre of the sun is a zone of null-g and it is only pressure that holds it together down there. Should a starquake be energetic enough and at the resonant frequency of the fusion shell, the thing could shatter like a wineglass as the fat lady sings.

No, I know it probably can't happen that way, but it would make for some neat CGI effects in a movie.