Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLodewijk
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited

blueletter,
    Thank you. The guy in that episode busted both his fists. My attacker only one... and the wind-shield didn't break...: )

But here is another one I by far prefer: How and old Japanese gentleman dealt with an "impossibe" aggressive menacing drunken man in the Tokyo Subway.
    He knew how to look beyond the ugly appearances, to recognize Someone else in there. He didn't even have to move a finger to completely disarm that wild beast of a man:
    http://www.wattstapes.com/dobson.htm
    • CommentAuthorSPECTRE
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

Posted By: Lodewijkblueletter,
    Thank you. The guy in that episode busted both his fists. My attacker only one... and the wind-shield didn't break...: )

But here is another one I by far prefer: How and old Japanese gentleman dealt with an "impossibe" aggressive menacing drunk man in the Tokyo Subway.
    He knew how to look beyond the ugly appearances, to recognize Someone else in there. He didn't even have to move a finger to completely disarm that wild beast of a man:

How did I know that you would be an aikido fan? I just had to be. Dude, aikido is one of the most absurd and fraudulent partial arts there is. It's pure, unadulterated bullshit. You're to be commended upon your now complete, well rounded credulity.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: SPECTRE

How did I know that you would be an aikido fan? I just had to be. Dude, aikido is one of the most absurd and fraudulent partial arts there is. It's pure, unadulterated bullshit. You're to be commended upon your now complete, well rounded credulity.

Uh oh....where's Al?
    Posted By: SPECTRE
    Posted By: Lodewijkblueletter,

But here is another one I by far prefer: How and old Japanese gentleman dealt with an "impossibe" aggressive menacing drunk man in the Tokyo Subway.

No, it's not.

There are plenty of Aikido McDojos where you can learn plenty of bullshit, and there are teachers of ballet that call it "aikido", but real mainline Iwama style, or the variation called "realni aikido", is not bullshit. You do not want to fuck with these people at close range.

My most recent teacher, a 3rd Dan in Saotome style mainline Aikido, for example, is a US Federal Marshal, and travels regularly on the US dime to Colombia, where he teaches CQCT to Colombian police and private bodyguards. These people do not fuck around and they do not pay for training that does not work.

Christian Tissier demonstrating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfC3uhKEAbA&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MIVo68o6Sg&feature=related
    Realni Aikido against a resistant attacker:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD_Xqo5iT3Q
    • CommentAuthorLodewijk

So only because I posted a link as a response to a karate clip, which was a response to my story of ducking an attack once, now I am an aikido fan? I only wanted to share a story of how it is possible to calm a wild dangerous menacing drunk down with a certain insight, as that old Japanese man did in that true story.

Keep your head cool, please.

Good to hear from you don Alse.
    • CommentAuthornova
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited

"I only wanted to share a story of how it is possible to calm a wild dangerous menacing drunk down with a certain insight, as that old Japanese man did in that true story."

Ah yes, the one story of hundreds with a survivor of a menacing drunk who normally kicks ass when the victim with certain insight tries to calm a drunk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Has Lodewijk been banned or demoted to applicant?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: TrimHas Lodewijk been banned or demoted to applicant?

Temporary demotion.
    The aikido story that Don Lode relates is from Terry Dobson. He was a much-beloved Aikido Sensei, studied with the Founder, was one of the very first gaijin to be awarded Dan rank by Ueshiba. He died in hakama, on the mat; had a massive heart attack.
    Who knows if the story is true or not; the point is "a gentle answer turneth away wrath", and if you believe that I've got a very nice Art Deco bridge in Brooklyn that I'll let you have for a nice price.

Aikido is a deadly martial art; don't let the wishy washy dancers fool you. The projection demonstrated by Tissier Shihan, above, Irimi Nage, is designed to kill a leather-armoured samurai by slamming him down hard on the ground, contact point being neck and shoulders, and if that doesn't stop the fight Nage can kneel on Uke's throat: that will take care of things pretty quick like.
    And if you wonder why the "uke" seems to leap into the throws: if he didn't, he'd have dislocated joints or broken bones. The fall is taken to protect oneself, and unlike some other martial arts where nobody falls down unless they are defeated, Aikido training is as much about falling down and getting up again as it is about throwing someone else down. You throw, then you are thrown; this teaches love and respect for your training partners.
    One of many things that sets it apart from other martial arts.
    • CommentAuthorLodewijk
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Must be my luck that the last time I was beat in a fight was some 50 years ago, on the playground of primary school, by a boy a head taller than I.
    I have since then be in some very life threatening situations facing attackers -one time even by 2 robbers with machetes in the mountains of Mexico- but somehow by not hating my opponents I was never harmed. Must just have been lucky, but I always felt that if I hated them, I would give them the inner power -psychic excuse- to harm me and even kill me.
    One of the strangest things that ever happened to me was an encounter with a couple of Indian youths in Taos, New Mexico. I was in my twenties, had driven my VW bus up there from Texas and was wandering around the downtown square. There are, or used to be, some hallway-like passageways between shops in the square, and I was walking into one of these, when a couple of Taos Pueblo Indians, built like (US) football players, entered from the other end and walked towards me. They weren't talking, but when they were about 10 feet away, one of them...for no reason I could see...lowered his shoulder and charged at me. There was nothing I could do...instinctively I lowered my shoulder and met his charge, just like on a football scrimmage line, and we bounced off each other with a pretty good impact and rebound. I still can feel the physicality of it.
    We bounced off, and kind of warily sort of continued on our separate ways down the alleyway, with a degree of mutual respect that perhaps hadn't been there at first.
    Oddly, I don't think there was any real "aggression" in their behaviour, and I was never really frightened. Now that I think more about it, I realize that I am actually a bit honored -- in some sense these people accepted me; they could easily have beaten me to a pulp back there in total privacy, and I think that if I had reacted in some other way, perhaps they might have done so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

weeabo!
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

BIPS = Ban In Plain Sight, AKA "Ignore trolls and they starve to death".
    • CommentAuthornova

Years ago a friend of mine, a Taos Pueblo Indian told me this strange tale of an event in Taos, New Mexico. He said, he and a friend were minding their own business when this stranger charged like a football defensive lineman and bounced off his shoulder. Totally confused my friend continued on his way to ponder the strange event.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: DrakkenmenschBasically what irks me so much is that conversation is entirely impossible, as everything he says is always right and any point given to the contrary is always proof that he's right anway. He is 100% convinced that he knows me better than myself, and no matter how much I object to this (he does not know me) he just keeps coming back trying to get me to accept that he's right about my not knowing myself, while HE does.

I'm sorry, but he's a schizophrenic fucktard with a delusion of philosophical grandeur.

He is not my messiah or my savior.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Posted By: Drakkenmensch

You're just lucky you're not in front of me right now. I'd punch you so hard you'd feel it last month.

I'm really not down with the whole 'threats of bodily harm' thing. In my opinion, this sort of thing has no place here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDrackon

Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: Drakkenmensch

You're just lucky you're not in front of me right now. I'd punch you so hard you'd feel it last month.

I'm really not down with the whole 'threats of bodily harm' thing. In my opinion, this sort of thing has no place here.

oh YEAH!!!

take that back or I'll email you so hard you'll feel it last year!
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I think threats of bodily harm in a pseudo place like this are, by definition, silly jokes. We don't even have bodies here.

That doesn't prevent them from being stupid inappropriate juvenile jokes. It all depends on delivery.
    • CommentAuthorSPECTRE

Oh god; sorry Al. I shouldn't have said anything. I think we agreed to disagree last time. My opinion is that aikido is a complete fraud created from the mind of a senile, crazy old man who, after participating in a failed cult in Japanese occupied China, returned to Japan with the intent of creating a cult of his own to derive the worship of credulous lunatics. Interestingly, o sensei can be seen performing "touchless KOs" against his idiot students. The techniques are absurd; we never see them applied against resisting opponents in a fight; the students' reactions are over-exaggerated, contrived and comical; and finally, I would happily face Christian T or any other aikido "master" in a NHB match under the stipulation that the aikido master is confined to aikido techniques only. For aikido, all we have are witness statements; for actual real fighting styles, we have extensive video of it working in action. But anyway, to each his own.
    • CommentAuthorSPECTRE

Al, if you thought this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD_Xqo5iT3Q, was a "resisting opponent", you need your eyes and head examined.